2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

cheeRS wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 20:46
Regarding the Allison "it'll become apparent" quote, maybe the massive update package for the filming day is the wrong train of thought.

Maybe it has more to do with engine/gearbox (do those use tokens? not sure). Perhaps the merc-powered teams are using a detuned version for testing and the real "evidence" will be apparent after the first race or two when the power is really on display? Just a guess really.
To quote Pirelli's marketing team: power is nothing without control. No good Mercedes having a bag load of extra power if they can't get the rear tyres to put it on the road.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cheeRS
cheeRS

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 20:51
cheeRS wrote:
Regarding the Allison "it'll become apparent" quote, maybe the massive update package for the filming day is the wrong train of thought.

Maybe it has more to do with engine/gearbox (do those use tokens? not sure). Perhaps the merc-powered teams are using a detuned version for testing and the real "evidence" will be apparent after the first race or two when the power is really on display? Just a guess really.
To quote Pirelli's marketing team: power is nothing without control. No good Mercedes having a bag load of extra power if they can't get the rear tyres to put it on the road.
True, but only during low speed and on turn exit for the most part. After that, F1 cars aren’t grip rear limited when accelerating over 120mph, more or less. Look at the 2019 Ferrari - basically untouchable from 120-200mph with all the extra power (illegal of course ;))
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1Krof

cheeRS wrote:
mkay wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 17:48
NathanOlder wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 16:47

Yeah so they are hiding something and appear to be putting in a lot of effort to do this. So thats why people are still not writing Mercedes off but you seem hell bent of doing just that.
They were hiding their floor/rear design as long as they could, just like any other team.

I am not writing Merc off, I'm just not subscribing to these ludicrous ideas that Merc had a massive upgrade package waiting for today's filming, etc. I understand people are hanging on James Allison's "it'll be apparent where we have spent our tokens" quote from launch day, but it's getting desperate in certain instances.

I've always been consistent in that Merc has 2 weeks to figure out what the hell is wrong with their car. If anyone can do it, it's them - but this year is different with budget cap, CFD/wind tunnel limitations and new regs in 2022.

Not particularly. I think the Engine development is out of the token system.

Merc team as far as I know always been up-front. They never hide anything. Everything is in plain sight, because there was nothing in particular that was eye catching different (apart from DAS). They've always relied on good harmonic small details that add up to the total. They've done it for years now.

In this case, they've done small incremental changes that on paper added to a good performance, at least in theory. But something's gone awry, something's not working as expected and they're trying to fix the issue. I don't believe we'll be seeing any massive upgrade as some people are hoping to see. We'll see the same car we saw on testing. Any changes won't even be visible, they'll be trying different setups, suspension, ride height, tyre pressures, wing levels etc...

I believe what Alison was trying to say about where the tokens are spent, and lets not forget the filming was done before they've gone to testing so they weren't aware that all is not going as planned, is that, they've probably had to change the front suspension mounting for the non-DAS suspension system, and the new gearbox and its housing. Minor but they would have had to spent those tokens. What Alison (and co) assumed was that the car will most likely behave good as in theory, and all these changes where the tokens were spent will be obvious over the time. When he said "... you'll know it when you see it" - doesn't mean that it is going to be something flamboyant. It literally means that: you'll know it when you see it. But of course we didn't see (yet) the inner workings of the new front suspension changes and it's implications it had about changing the crash cell (probably) and also we didn't see (yet) the new gearbox and its cage.

It will be obvious over time with the season when somebody catches a good shot with its photograph.

I hope the fix whatever is not working.
Wroom wroom

El Scorchio

I think we can all agree this is the most important upgrade they made in the last year.

Bravo to the team.

=D>

F1Krof

El Scorchio wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 23:05
I think we can all agree this is the most important upgrade they made in the last year.

Bravo to the team.

=D>
I had an epiphany. The writing is on the wall:

It's the /////AMG. It's those small changes that AMG's done. But didn't go as planned :D :lol:
Wroom wroom

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

F1Krof wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 22:36

... they've probably had to change the front suspension mounting for the non-DAS suspension system...

The second question, at 0:34 ... Would be pretty weird if it turned out his comments after all were implying that "it'll become obvious how UNFAIR it was that we HAD to make these changes...", don't you think? :)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

HungarianRacer wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 00:12
F1Krof wrote:

... they've probably had to change the front suspension mounting for the non-DAS suspension system...

The second question, at 0:34 ... Would be pretty weird if it turned out his comments after all were implying that "it'll become obvious how UNFAIR it was that we HAD to make these changes...", don't you think? :)
He says: they were required to remove DAS. Thus they don't have to spend a token to do it. Nothing ambiguous there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cheeRS
cheeRS

F1Krof wrote:
Not particularly. I think the Engine development is out of the token system.

Merc team as far as I know always been up-front. They never hide anything. Everything is in plain sight, because there was nothing in particular that was eye catching different (apart from DAS). They've always relied on good harmonic small details that add up to the total. They've done it for years now.

In this case, they've done small incremental changes that on paper added to a good performance, at least in theory. But something's gone awry, something's not working as expected and they're trying to fix the issue. I don't believe we'll be seeing any massive upgrade as some people are hoping to see. We'll see the same car we saw on testing. Any changes won't even be visible, they'll be trying different setups, suspension, ride height, tyre pressures, wing levels etc...

I believe what Alison was trying to say about where the tokens are spent, and lets not forget the filming was done before they've gone to testing so they weren't aware that all is not going as planned, is that, they've probably had to change the front suspension mounting for the non-DAS suspension system, and the new gearbox and its housing. Minor but they would have had to spent those tokens. What Alison (and co) assumed was that the car will most likely behave good as in theory, and all these changes where the tokens were spent will be obvious over the time. When he said "... you'll know it when you see it" - doesn't mean that it is going to be something flamboyant. It literally means that: you'll know it when you see it. But of course we didn't see (yet) the inner workings of the new front suspension changes and it's implications it had about changing the crash cell (probably) and also we didn't see (yet) the new gearbox and its cage.

It will be obvious over time with the season when somebody catches a good shot with its photograph.

I hope the fix whatever is not working.
DAS removal didn't require any token use, which is 100% fair. The crash cell is literally the same one used with the W11, so no change there.

I don't think anyone has spotted any front end changes that would have required tokens, same with the rear end.

Most 'in the know' feel that it will be the gearbox or gearbox-tangent.

Clearly Merc is hiding something by not posting any photos of the rear of the car. My interpretation of the "you'll know it when you see it" means it wasn't at the test (unless it was the failed after-one-lap 2021 gearbox) and it WAS on the car(s) during the filming day.

If it's not something groundbreaking or clever, why go through all the trouble and PR of saying "we have something we're not showing yet!" ?
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 00:33

He says: they were required to remove DAS. Thus they don't have to spend a token to do it. Nothing ambiguous there.
I wasn't implying there was any ambiguity around what he said in the video, quiet the contrary...

PlatinumZealot

All I know is that the Mercedes will be a rocket-ship. When it will be fully unlocked I don't know but I will be satisfied with fighting from behind in the first four races but then lead by mile for the rest of the season.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dans79

201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

Doesn’t sound real optimistic.

mkay
mkay

zibby43 wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 20:37
Yep. It definitely sounds like they're having genuine issues and that there is no miracle solution hidden in a secret lab at Brackley.

Let's hope they can fix it quickly...

zibby43
zibby43

mkay wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 20:40
zibby43 wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 20:37
Yep. It definitely sounds like they're having genuine issues and that there is no miracle solution hidden in a secret lab at Brackley.

Let's hope they can fix it quickly...
Of course, all of the statements in the debrief were made 24 hours after the test. Which is important context.

I just don’t know right now. Can easily see it go either way at the first race, but it’s abundantly clear that they’re not going to be struggling to make Q3. They’re expecting to be right there with RBR.

The only thing I can really glean from all the information out there, is Merc didn’t claw back any of their early-season advantage from last year.