2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Dude, I though that was a dilbert strip at first ....
Maybe, it's just me that's thick...What are we looking at? What's on the X and Y access ?

Herr_Koos

Daaaaayum... The consistency of the Macca laptimes is unbelievable.

Herr_Koos

diffuser wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 18:54
Dude, I though that was a dilbert strip at first ....
Maybe, it's just me that's thick...What are we looking at? What's on the X and Y access ?
Y axis is laptime in seconds. I think X axis is number of laps completed per run.

McFAN
McFAN

Lando Norris.

“So very productive between us and the Merc guys – HPP [High Performance Powertrains] – and I think we can be happy with the improvements we’ve made over the last three days. There’s still things to work on, again not just with the car but with the PU and so on, but it is at the moment looking good and we’re happy with how things have gone. So we have to wait until qualifying to really unlock the potential and see what the baby’s got.”

“Obviously no one – well we haven’t gone low fuel and full beans and you don’t show everything. We have a lot of sensors on the car and things like that so no-one shows everything and you don’t get to know exactly what the car’s going to do until you get there, but in terms of going out and feeling like you can push the car to a good limit and within a reasonable pace I’m very happy."

He seems to be suggesting they left quite a bit of performance in the locker(PU wise at least),
Unless I'm over reading,
Very encouraging methinks.

Source.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... pWLcR.html
Last edited by McFAN on 16 Mar 2021, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Mind posting a link to the original Reddit post here?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

From Fomula1.com... Race Pace after testing:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

trinidefender wrote:
Mind posting a link to the original Reddit post here?
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ame=iossmf

the EDGE
the EDGE

diffuser

Herr_Koos wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 19:59

You don't find it strange that the time varry so little on different fuel loads through 3 test days and a night with varying temps (different track temp)?

I would find those strange for Macca in FP1 or FP2.

Macklaren
Macklaren

McFAN wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 20:10
Lando Norris.

“So very productive between us and the Merc guys – HPP [High Performance Powertrains] – and I think we can be happy with the improvements we’ve made over the last three days. There’s still things to work on, again not just with the car but with the PU and so on, but it is at the moment looking good and we’re happy with how things have gone. So we have to wait until qualifying to really unlock the potential and see what the baby’s got.”

“Obviously no one – well we haven’t gone low fuel and full beans and you don’t show everything. We have a lot of sensors on the car and things like that so no-one shows everything and you don’t get to know exactly what the car’s going to do until you get there, but in terms of going out and feeling like you can push the car to a good limit and within a reasonable pace I’m very happy."

He seems to be suggesting they left quite a bit of performance in the locker(PU wise at least),
Unless I'm over reading,

Source.
what could "things to work on with the PU" mean? aren't the engines homologated already? is he talking about mapping? MGU deployment? gearing?
Last edited by Macklaren on 16 Mar 2021, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:

You don't find it strange that the time varry so little on different fuel loads through 3 test days and a night with varying temps (different track temp)?

Not strange if they are purposely driving to a Delta, actually positive since it means the car is consistent and stable enough to allow the drivers to deliver consistent lap times.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 20:28
From Fomula1.com... Race Pace after testing:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202103 ... c80fbf.jpg

In other words, pecking order from last year. I suspect this is based on cherry picking data to fit their expectation.
diffuser wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:53
Herr_Koos wrote:

Perhaps keeping pace on hand? Ricciardo didn't have a lot of degradation on his runs.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
McFAN wrote:
Lando Norris.

Unless I'm over reading,

Source.
what could "things to work on with the PU" mean? aren't the engines homologated already? is he talking about mapping? MGU deployment? gearing?
Probably Engines Modes... My take from the article is that they haven’t yet stressed the engine, so there are still question marks in regards to how the car will react when the PU is pushed, if the cooling targets are met.

The will also be a interaction between the PU and the differential, with power delivery probably very different to the one from Renault, how much and how soon TQ targets are reached, etc... There is potentially more work to be performed in order to understand it.

McFAN
McFAN

Macklaren wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 22:07
McFAN wrote:
Lando Norris.

Unless I'm over reading,

Source.
They probably have different gearing ratios so maybe optimising the PU around that
does that makes any sense?
I'm no expert myself

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'm confused about the data shown. It shows that softs and mediums were slower on average than hards. Also all the times seem to be too high, 1:36 and above.