Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
El Scorchio

Re: Mercedes W12

dans79 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 03:50
LM10 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 02:16
Let's assume it's a thing which can be copied relatively easy and thus does not require tokens, so what's the benefit? Hiding only for 2 additional weeks just for another team to copy it after that?
You're forgetting that several components won't become homogenized until they hit the track for P1. Thus even if it was easy to copy you can't copy it anymore, because you used your own design during P1. For example all the aerodynamic components of the suspension system front and rear fall into this category.

I'm not saying this is the case, but maybe they came up with a new suspension and gearbox design thats offer some kind of aerodynamic benefit. Teams could potentially copy that quickly as all they would need to do is redesign the gearbox housing. However as soon as the other temas run in P1 that's no longer possible.

Having looked at the technical regulations this evening, I think Scarabs might be onto something, as Mercedes could basically re-work a substantial portion of the rear of the car and only have to spend 2 tokens.
It would definitely appear there’s more to come from Mercedes. Possibly something significant.

aral
aral

Could you please concentrate on actual physical hardware on the W12, instead of discussing comparisons, speculation, other cars etc. You can do that on the team thread.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

2021 Bahrain F1 Test, Day 3, Mercedes F1 W12 front brake ducts and sidepod area detail (Photo: Daimler - Edited by MAXF1.net) (2000x1507 px)

hollus

One has to keep posting reminders at this stage of the season. We are all so eager!
hollus wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 17:42
Lots of new people here, as every year at this point in the season (welcome!), who maybe don't know the forum rules yet. And a few veterans that insist on forgetting them again and again ;-)

So, a little reminder to everyone:
To prevent every thread from turning into a mish-mash of facts, comparisons, wishes, hopes, jokes... about this team, and that team, and that driver, and that possible driver, then that team director, and the rivals team director... etc, etc , etc...

We ask the people to keep things on topic in "the technical sub-forums" and in a couple of places specifically: PU threads and very specially, the car threads...
Pretty much everthing goes in the general chat or the the team threads.

But in the car threads, please:
No speculation, no speculation about pace and no speculation about relative pace. Use team or dedicated threads (test thread, race threads) for that.
Livery talk goes in the team threads or in dedicated threads.
PU talk should go in the PU thread, but it can belong in the car thread if it interacts with other things, of course, it is a gray zone.

I say this every year, but the car threads are a bit like the crown jewels of this site. Because they are so focused! And even then, they are almost too long to manage and to find things in them. So, please, only items in the car in the car threads, and focus on the actual car as much as possible. Comparison of other items to items "in this car" are of course OK, in moderation.

When you joined, did you find that F1T as a forum was particularly focused, that the information density about the cars was better than in other places, that things got less lost in the noise than in other sites?... well, that is because most users know these rules and self-restraint most of the time! Please, help keep the forum cool.

As a reminder, every user can open a thread to discuss whatever maybe needs discussing.

But let's keep these cool boxes that are the car threads cool and car centric.

Thank you.
Rivals, not enemies.

w1Y
w1Y

I haven't spent much time reviewing the detail of the car but surely as a start it would be worthwhile trying to compare the testing diffuser with Abu Dhabi.

Because of the cost cap everything put on the cat has to have a purpose and so I fon thee why a tram would spend money developing items they will not race with.

e30ernest
e30ernest

w1Y wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 08:53
Because of the cost cap everything put on the cat has to have a purpose and so I fon thee why a tram would spend money developing items they will not race with.
The development of these parts is iterative so they simply built whatever was "developed" at the time they were building the car. They'll then test that part to validate whether or not it matches their factory data which would then allow them to tweak or go ahead with the part that is still under development for the coming race.

Stu

It has been mentioned previously, but James Allison was not present in Bahrain for the testing days; IF (as has been suggested) there will be a new variant of the W12 at the race (and potentially the filming days - any images released from that yet?), I would put money on them having the real W12 on the 7-post rig at Brackley for the duration of the test and running simulations on that directly from track data (we know that they do this through a race weekend).
Mercedes will know exactly how the real new car will react in comparison to the one in the test. Pole position with at least 0.5 sec of clear space to the rest when it really matters.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

zibby43
zibby43

Stu wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 09:17
It has been mentioned previously, but James Allison was not present in Bahrain for the testing days; IF (as has been suggested) there will be a new variant of the W12 at the race (and potentially the filming days - any images released from that yet?), I would put money on them having the real W12 on the 7-post rig at Brackley for the duration of the test and running simulations on that directly from track data (we know that they do this through a race weekend).
Mercedes will know exactly how the real new car will react in comparison to the one in the test. Pole position with at least 0.5 sec of clear space to the rest when it really matters.
I posted some photos of the car from the filming day on the previous page. No shots of the rear of the car, unfortunately.

MKlaus
MKlaus

https://the-race.com/formula-1/lessons- ... 1-testing/

this article on the-race.com gives some indications of a pattern that mercedes has followed whenever there are significant rule changes. it quotes a lot of james allison's interview statements at the end of 2019 season. he says, what they did in 2019 testing, is something they did in 2017 also.
Mercedes opted to run in the first test in Barcelona with a version of the car that was signed off very early – in November 2018. The aero package could then be manufactured and used for the first four-day test in Barcelona.

Technical director James Allison explained the thinking behind this at the end of that season.

“We did the same thing in 2017,” said Allison. “There was a reasonable aero reg change in 2017 and we built two cars then. It was exactly the same rationale, knowing that at the beginning of big changes the slope is so steep – a week finds you a tenth, two weeks 0.2s – that could be such a big difference when you come to line up on the grid that you want to make sure that you build your final set of clothes as close to the death as possible.
if that approach to tackle regulation changes has continued, it's fair to expect some upgrades on the car that would race in bahrain.

SiLo

CLKGTR wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 19:49
2021 Bahrain F1 Test, Day 3, Mercedes F1 W12 front brake ducts and sidepod area detail (Photo: Daimler - Edited by MAXF1.net) (2000x1507 px)

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... XF1net.jpg
Interesting that they have basically upended the brake duct from last year. With the front of the car not changing much, I wonder if they are trying to get more air blowing through the brake duct to increase outwash at the front to help the rear?
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

Yes the car is suspicioulsy bereft of any interesting features. A few Lasagna squiggles and an engine bulge is not saying much for what we expect of Mercedes. I'm still going to stand by my rocket-ship in hiding beleif. Lol.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mkay
mkay

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 19:35
Yes the car is suspicioulsy bereft of any interesting features. A few Lasagna squiggles and an engine bulge is not saying much for what we expect of Mercedes. I'm still going to stand by my rocket-ship in hiding beleif. Lol.
I think some are setting themselves up for bitter disappointment. The team hasn't made any reference or allusion to a miracle car hidden at Brackley (see today's testing debrief).

Occam's razor says whatever they tested with will be the car that's going to race next weekend.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mkay wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 20:10

Occam's razor says whatever they tested with will be the car that's going to race next weekend.
And yet history shows that Occam's Razor in this case is most likely that they won't run the car they tested.

One should always be careful with razors - they cut both ways... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Fulvio2044
Fulvio2044

#3DModeler - Tech Passion for F1 - Cycling and all Sport #Cyclist.

Technical writing for https://www.salastamparacing.com/

amppatel
amppatel

This seems to be the first (and only) picture of the rear from the testing day - from their FB page ( From what you can see, it seems the same as before:

Last edited by amppatel on 23 Mar 2021, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.