2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Zynerji wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 15:28
I'm not sure how I feel about this. That young man might benefit immensely, but his childhood is now over, and corporate money sponsorship is his new parent.
Isn't that the case with every kid under a driver academy?

_cerber1

the EDGE
the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 21:02
These things are such a waste of time, in fact never has so much actually said so little

Would it really hurt them to just throw in something we don’t already know, like some news about some Updated components or Some feedback about the new car, just to make these things actually worth reading

McG

Zynerji wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. That young man might benefit immensely, but his childhood is now over, and corporate money sponsorship is his new parent.
He's going to be a racing driver most of his life now. What's not to like! As for a PR stunt... Could be but who cares. Could also been with Hamilton and that worked out pretty well. All the best to the kid... Wait... He already has all the best now!
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Zynerji

McG wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 01:03
Zynerji wrote:
He's going to be a racing driver most of his life now. What's not to like! As for a PR stunt... Could be but who cares. Could also been with Hamilton and that worked out pretty well. All the best to the kid... Wait... He already has all the best now!
I hope he's a normal, trash talking, sim racer that has those Alien reflexes and is just a normal teenager that genuinely deserves to be that obnoxious because he IS that good...🤣

I'd sub his Twitch!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Interesting bit on the 2021 Mercedes engine from Italian Motorport.com. However, the piece is by Franco Nugnes, I’ve heard he’s a bit hit and miss on non Ferrari news, so make of it what you will. The full article would belong in the Mercedes thread.

But the bulk of the work was done by the group of Hywel Thomas, head of Mercedes AMG HPP in Brixworth, who gave birth to the new power unit that equips the factory team as well as Aston Martin, McLaren and Williams.

If Honda is pleased to have bridged the gap from last year's Mercedes engine, gaining at least twenty horsepower with the RA621H, maybe it's because the Japanese don't know where the M12 power unit can go this year. There is talk of about thirty horses between endothermic unit and better energy recovery of the hybrid.

In Mercedes they have pursued the philosophy of the “cold” engine, useful for increasing the efficiency in the combustion chamber with an air flow that is as fresh as possible. In the past to achieve this they had to resort to a rather bulky intercooler that also cost weight.

Now the Brixworth engineers have come to the conclusion that it is better to reduce the flow rate of the intercooler by lengthening the moving intake ducts.

Nothing to do with the mobile horns that Ferrari introduced in aspirated F1 engines in the Eighties, when the telescopic horns moved about a dozen centimeters to "tune" the engine to the different rpm and ensure better "driveability" .

In the turbo units we have come to increasingly longer ducts with measures that can reach almost 80 cm in the intake plenum. It explains, therefore, why the engine hood of the W12 has become terribly thinned, becoming a sort of second skin of the underlying mechanics to the advantage of aerodynamic efficiency, while the presence of a large hump that has aroused the curiosity of enthusiasts is not overlooked.

And Hywel Thomas explained that that protuberance hides a novelty in the engine intake system that allows an increase in performance, without going further into the explanations.

As far as Motorsport.com is told, Mercedes would have been working on moving ducts to have a cooler and more efficient chamber in an area where there is a lot of development work. The 065/6 of Ferrari, not surprisingly, goes in the same direction and part of the power recovery is certainly due to the more thorough adoption of this solution.

The well-informed claim that the W12 seen in the tests ran with particularly conservative engine settings and that the true potential of the Mercedes power unit will be discovered in qualifying for the Bahrain GP, ​​when the single map for the race weekend will be decided ...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Ted Kravitz on the In The Fast Lane Podcast. Some interesting comments on McLaren.

Kravitz says there are some signs that things are going very well for the UK-based team.

It was weird at the test actually, McLaren, they had a very good day one in the dusty conditions and then they had a good day two,” he told the Podcast.

“And then they went all sort of coy and they thought, ‘Oh my goodness, we better not show everything’.

“It’s like they were scared. They spooked themselves and they didn’t want to give anything away so they stopped setting quick times to put everybody off the scent. But they were very happy.

“That was them saying globally, everything is looking optimal in the new McLaren. There are going to be some doubts about whether they will be even faster than the factory Mercedes team as well. Some people have got McLaren in second behind Red Bull.”

Link to full podcast https://share.transistor.fm/s/aba88d74
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

_cerber1

This sounds very optimistic and unrealistic. I'll be damn glad if that turns out to be true.

mclaren111

_cerber1 wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:13
This sounds very optimistic and unrealistic. I'll be damn glad if that turns out to be true.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

bauc

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:01
Ted Kravitz on the In The Fast Lane Podcast. Some interesting comments on McLaren.

Kravitz says there are some signs that things are going very well for the UK-based team.

It was weird at the test actually, McLaren, they had a very good day one in the dusty conditions and then they had a good day two,” he told the Podcast.

“And then they went all sort of coy and they thought, ‘Oh my goodness, we better not show everything’.

“It’s like they were scared. They spooked themselves and they didn’t want to give anything away so they stopped setting quick times to put everybody off the scent. But they were very happy.

“That was them saying globally, everything is looking optimal in the new McLaren. There are going to be some doubts about whether they will be even faster than the factory Mercedes team as well. Some people have got McLaren in second behind Red Bull.”

As much as I love Ted and his notebooks, I think he is super optimistic about Mclaren and also part of his job is to create hype for the upcoming season. Don't get me wrong, I hope he is right ... I just don't allow my self to get carried away.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

bauc wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:46
Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:01

As much as I love Ted and his notebooks, I think he is super optimistic about Mclaren and also part of his job is to create hype for the upcoming season. Don't get me wrong, I hope he is right ... I just don't allow my self to get carried away.
True, it’s best to keep things in check, but still encouraging to hear the positive reports. We’ll see how accurate things are in a few days.

McFAN
McFAN

From an interview with Daniel.

Although still needing more time to adjust to the different characteristics of the McLaren car, he says one thing that has impressed him is how well the team itself works.

"I spent a fair bit of time at MTC [McLaren Technology Centre] in February, so I feel like I got that process done, as far as figuring out not only the names of people in the team but how they operate," he said.

"They're certainly a professional outfit. I think they've got some really good processes in place. They're well structured, a lot of the meetings and that, and pretty efficient. It's been good. I'm enjoying my time here."

Source. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/dani ... es/5730664/

BatCave96
BatCave96

A bit of a noob question.

How does the braking feel change from one car to another? For example, are the brakes technically that different between the Renault and Mclaren considering these cars are very similar in performance. Also, don't most F1 teams use the same brake suppliers.

Macklaren
Macklaren

ANYWAYS -- changing the topic -- I hope McLaren have invested time and money into fixing their pit stops this year. Clearly the biggest gap between them and most of the rest of the field in the last 2 years.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 23:14
ANYWAYS -- changing the topic -- I hope McLaren have invested time and money into fixing their pit stops this year. Clearly the biggest gap between them and most of the rest of the field in the last 2 years.
They don't need to, they built the diffuser to take around 26 seconds off the race time.

And to tighten the odd wheel nut up when required.

It's that good.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit