2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:01
Ted Kravitz on the In The Fast Lane Podcast. Some interesting comments on McLaren.

Kravitz says there are some signs that things are going very well for the UK-based team.

It was weird at the test actually, McLaren, they had a very good day one in the dusty conditions and then they had a good day two,” he told the Podcast.

“And then they went all sort of coy and they thought, ‘Oh my goodness, we better not show everything’.

“It’s like they were scared. They spooked themselves and they didn’t want to give anything away so they stopped setting quick times to put everybody off the scent. But they were very happy.

“That was them saying globally, everything is looking optimal in the new McLaren. There are going to be some doubts about whether they will be even faster than the factory Mercedes team as well. Some people have got McLaren in second behind Red Bull.”

Link to full podcast https://share.transistor.fm/s/aba88d74
Ted has seemed to be practically having orgasms whilst discussing Mclaren. It would be interesting to know who thinks we are faster than Mercedes.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

mwillems wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 23:21
Macklaren wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 23:14
ANYWAYS -- changing the topic -- I hope McLaren have invested time and money into fixing their pit stops this year. Clearly the biggest gap between them and most of the rest of the field in the last 2 years.
They don't need to, they built the diffuser to take around 26 seconds off the race time.

And to tighten the odd wheel nut up when required.

It's that good.
:lol: :lol:

M840TR
M840TR

BatCave96 wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 21:06
A bit of a noob question.

How does the braking feel change from one car to another? For example, are the brakes technically that different between the Renault and Mclaren considering these cars are very similar in performance. Also, don't most F1 teams use the same brake suppliers.
It's how the car reacts to braking than brakes themselves. Like the SF-90's rear end got unstable during braking from what could be stalling in addition to rear suspension precariousness. Ergo difficulty not just stopping earlier due to lower df but also carrying speed through the corner, be it slow, mid or fast.

Emag
Emag

I am getting scared about this season to be honest. It may be PTSD from the past years. All these high expectations and all the people that are predicting greatness for McLaren are making me afraid of potential disappointment when we start racing.

It is now different compared to these last two years, because in the past it was hard to be disappointed when you have no expectations to begin with.

I don't believe McLaren will be anywhere close the fight for proper victories this year (meaning I don't expect them to be as fast as Mercedes / RedBull). The only optimistic expectation that I have for them this year is getting 3rd again in the constructors. I just hope the testing performance doesn't jinx everything and they somehow end up worse than last year.

Just an irrational superstition I guess. Can't wait for the weekend to find out where they will be in the pecking order.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 00:48
I am getting scared about this season to be honest. It may be PTSD from the past years. All these high expectations and all the people that are predicting greatness for McLaren are making me afraid of potential disappointment when we start racing.

It is now different compared to these last two years, because in the past it was hard to be disappointed when you have no expectations to begin with.

I don't believe McLaren will be anywhere close the fight for proper victories this year (meaning I don't expect them to be as fast as Mercedes / RedBull). The only optimistic expectation that I have for them this year is getting 3rd again in the constructors. I just hope the testing performance doesn't jinx everything and they somehow end up worse than last year.

Just an irrational superstition I guess. Can't wait for the weekend to find out where they will be in the pecking order.
Yeah I think you are probably right, we will be the 3rd or 4th quickest car.

For me I think the hope is that at a couple of races we can fight for a podium or a win, when the car suits the track and the planets align
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

Emag wrote:
I'm basing my positive feelings on seeing Daniel's reaction after getting out of the car.

I just wish I could find the video of it.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

BatCave96 wrote:A bit of a noob question.

How does the braking feel change from one car to another? For example, are the brakes technically that different between the Renault and Mclaren considering these cars are very similar in performance. Also, don't most F1 teams use the same brake suppliers.
Braking is not only associated to the brakes themselves... Is really a function of grip... The more downforce a car has the more grip and therefore better brake performance.

It is no surprise that he felt that the brakes on the RBR were superior / better than in the Renault since it’s a car that created more downforce and based on the driving characteristics of the car with Avery strong front end.

In addition, stability under braking is also critical for turn in afterwards, if the balance isn’t right, the rear can get lose under braking and therefore the driver will lack confidence.

That confidence is ultimately what drives lap time, since the more comfortable the driver feels with the car, the more they can push towards the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser

djos wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 01:06
Emag wrote:
I'm basing my positive feelings on seeing Daniel's reaction after getting out of the car.

So when he drove all the other cars in testing(Merc, RBR AM AT, Alpine, Ferrari,etc) he wasn't as happy?

I've been a fan too long not to know that it usually takes 5 or 6 races to get a GOOD Idea of how fast a team is.

djos

diffuser wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 02:28
djos wrote:
Emag wrote:

So when he drove all the other cars in testing(Merc, RBR AM AT, Alpine, Ferrari,etc) he wasn't as happy?

I've been a fan too long not to know that it usually takes 5 or 6 races to get a GOOD Idea of how fast a team is.
When was the last time you saw a driver jump out of a car, on a testing day, and act in an excited manner?
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

My point was, he has no idea what the other cars are like. Kind of like flying at 60k feet. It feels fast but really you have no clue if you're traveling at 600MPH or 300. He has no point of reference. He will not until quali.

But hey that's just me. I like to be grounded.

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

djos wrote:
Emag wrote:

at the end of the video @ 14:00 min mark.

djos

Cheers! That’s the one!
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 02:28
djos wrote:
Emag wrote:

I tend to believe it all depends on the order in which the races come in a season. Meaning, in the typical season calendar we’ve had in recent past, starting in Melbourne, followed by Bahrain and then Shanghai, would be adequate enough to know how good a team’s car is. So technically, 5-6 races seems a lot, that’s approximately 25% of a 23 race season. There’s also been pre season testing, not to mention historical data from previous years.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Lucky
Lucky

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 23:21
Macklaren wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 23:14
ANYWAYS -- changing the topic -- I hope McLaren have invested time and money into fixing their pit stops this year. Clearly the biggest gap between them and most of the rest of the field in the last 2 years.
They don't need to, they built the diffuser to take around 26 seconds off the race time.

And to tighten the odd wheel nut up when required.

It's that good.

\:D/ \:D/