2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Exactly. It’s about knowing when to play your cards, as much as having them in the first place. They could have been sitting on DAS for a few years for all we know. This token thing might end up being a red herring, but they could well be sitting on something right now and waiting to reveal it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 01:01
Exactly. It’s about knowing when to play your cards, as much as having them in the first place. They could have been sitting on DAS for a few years for all we know. This token thing might end up being a red herring, but they could well be sitting on something right now and waiting to reveal it.
They had been sitting on DAS for a while. James Allison (I think) explained that one of the engineers had had the idea but it had proved to be too heavy etc., and so had been put on the shelf. And then they found themselves with spare resource and a car that could carry the extra weight, and they decided to develop it "just because they could". Which is pretty cool, in my book.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cheeRS
cheeRS

djones wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 21:52
Given there is a long time between the 1st and 2nd race. And given in interviews Mercedes seemed worried about people having time to copy them....

I wonder if they are planning on sacrificing results in the first race, then bringing a big update at the second.
I get what you're saying but there'd be no point to sacrificing the first race unless the update didn't require tokens. By FP1 on Friday, all the teams (except Haas, lol) will have spent their tokens. At that point, there would be no incentive to delay the update package until the second race. If the update is something that does not require tokens and thus other teams can copy, it'd be better for Merc to just run in during the first race and capitalize on that rather than waiting until the perfect race/weekend window.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

Kingshark
Kingshark

Mercedes must have incredible confidence in their windtunnel if they are the only team on the grid who don’t feel the need to test the upgrade they used their tokens on.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Kingshark wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 09:32
Mercedes must have incredible confidence in their windtunnel if they are the only team on the grid who don’t feel the need to test the upgrade they used their tokens on.
Well they've done this before. I'm guessing their correlation is that good.

Kingshark
Kingshark

e30ernest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 09:34
Kingshark wrote:
As someone who really wants to see a new champion, the unbelievable confidence and borderline arrogance from Mercedes is truly frightening. They’ve had a dismal test and yet engineers like Shovlin and Vowles are laughing on their YouTube channel about ducks and horses. It’s like they know how far ahead they are and there’s no need to worry.

Ominous

basti313
basti313

Kingshark wrote:
They did the correlation tests, first they they were running the fences. You always go in steps, so if they correlate the test car to the previous wind tunnel model this is already enough. Furthermore it strongly depends on the type of thrick they do...I am sure a floor elongation like McLaren did it does not need a new correlation test as this is quite save in CFD and on the backside of the car. Also mechanical tricks are save. Only if they would change at the front I would say a new correlation would be good.

But maybe this is the point to watch on Friday: Are they going out with a fence Friday morning? If yes, we can start immediately investigate the changes.
Don`t russel the hamster!

El Scorchio

Kingshark wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 09:44
e30ernest wrote:
Kingshark wrote:
As someone who really wants to see a new champion, the unbelievable confidence and borderline arrogance from Mercedes is truly frightening. They’ve had a dismal test and yet engineers like Shovlin and Vowles are laughing on their YouTube channel about ducks and horses. It’s like they know how far ahead they are and there’s no need to worry.

Ominous
If they have a big untested upgrade, It's not arrogance or overconfidence. It's worry and fear of having their idea copied that's prevented them bolting it to the car thus far. I'm sure they'd have infinitely preferred bringing it to the test in an ideal world, but it's either too secret, not ready, or just doesn't exist at all.....

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Do the rules set the length of the car? I wonder if they've gone mad and made the floor even longer to compensate for the new floor edge changes. They said it would be obvious and a dimension change would be. Or they've gone the other way and have shortened the car and added rake. Now that would be noticeable and quite striking too.

Or it's a new nose/bargeboard concept that works the air harder to get more outwash and so remove the need for the rear floor slats anyway.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mkay
mkay

Kingshark wrote:
e30ernest wrote:
Kingshark wrote:

Ominous
Where did you get arrogance? If anything, they've admitted the car isn't where it should be and that they have a lot of work to do until the first race.

I've always thought of Mercedes people as being very humble considering the unprecedented level of success they've achieved in the past 7 years.

restless
restless

e30ernest wrote:
Kingshark wrote:
How is FIA even checking that teams don't run tests on some hidden track? These companies have the resources to build extra chassis and run it as long as they want. Is there a police which follows them closely?!
What's preventing Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari, Honda from "private" tests?
Only additional resources they need to throw, and following the rules.

Zynerji

They would need current tyres to gain anything worthwhile, and Pirelli control that supply for the FIA with an Iron Fist.

You would almost have to schedule a secret tyre test with Pirelli do do this kind of cheating, and that could NEVER happen...😁

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 01:24
El Scorchio wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 01:01
They had been sitting on DAS for a while. James Allison (I think) explained that one of the engineers had had the idea but it had proved to be too heavy etc., and so had been put on the shelf. And then they found themselves with spare resource and a car that could carry the extra weight, and they decided to develop it "just because they could". Which is pretty cool, in my book.
Now you mention it, that rings a bell! You're right as well about the 'just because they could'. That's really the sort of innovation that should be driving the teams in F1, so in that respect it's a shame when wings get clipped. It's great that teams have stuff just sitting on the shelf in case it ever becomes relevant or workable in the future.

You have to wonder what each team could show up with in a minimal regs situation- like letting all the 100 metre runners in the Olympics juice themselves silly. Probably be a bit like the group B rallying era but hopefully less dangerous....

Raleigh
Raleigh

I guess we find out for sure in a few days, but nothing I've seen in testing suggests Mercedes is in any trouble.

Saturday mini-sectors, Mercedes fastest in every corner and fastest overall while barely cruising down the straights, not even setting fastest mini-sectors after exiting corners with the highest speed.

Clearly running the engine well turned down with a lot of pace in hand.

Every year we get the same story from Merc, X team is the one to beat, we might be in trouble, then Merc turns up and goes on pole by 8 tenths.

Kingshark
Kingshark

mkay wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 12:17
Kingshark wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

Ominous
Where did you get arrogance? If anything, they've admitted the car isn't where it should be and that they have a lot of work to do until the first race.

I've always thought of Mercedes people as being very humble considering the unprecedented level of success they've achieved in the past 7 years.
I don’t mean arrogance in a negative way, I mean it in a positive way. Merc are 100% aware of how much better they are than everyone else. That’s why they were the only team who didn’t test the new floor in Abu Dhabi and the only team who did not test with their upgraded car in Bahrain.