2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

nice interview with Andreas

McG

Nice will look forward to that one.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 08:06
diffuser wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 02:28
djos wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 01:06

I'm basing my positive feelings on seeing Daniel's reaction after getting out of the car.

I just wish I could find the video of it.
So when he drove all the other cars in testing(Merc, RBR AM AT, Alpine, Ferrari,etc) he wasn't as happy?

I've been a fan too long not to know that it usually takes 5 or 6 races to get a GOOD Idea of how fast a team is.
I tend to believe it all depends on the order in which the races come in a season. Meaning, in the typical season calendar we’ve had in recent past, starting in Melbourne, followed by Bahrain and then Shanghai, would be adequate enough to know how good a team’s car is. So technically, 5-6 races seems a lot, that’s approximately 25% of a 23 race season. There’s also been pre season testing, not to mention historical data from previous years.
Traditionally, Spain is the first major update of the year. Fortunes can change there. Also we have gotten used to seasons where there are huge discrepancies in time between the teams. If you go back to Alonso's Ferrari years....the pace of the top 7 teams or so was very close.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BatCave96 wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 21:06
A bit of a noob question.

How does the braking feel change from one car to another? For example, are the brakes technically that different between the Renault and Mclaren considering these cars are very similar in performance. Also, don't most F1 teams use the same brake suppliers.
I wanted to find the video but I wasn't able so I'll give a short summary.

Rosberg was saying in a video, I think when he was driving a Rimac Concept car, that in F1 part of what they need to do is to get everything completely right. One of these things is braking, not only the feel is important but due to sheer complexity of the cars it is not just feel of the mechanical brakes. All cars use the braking to recharge the batteries so they need to get the curve completely right or the driver will be surprised by braking as the conditions change, for example he passes over a slippier part of the track and the car suddenly has much less grip and locks up. IIRC he mentioned that they needed to fine tune this and alongside various other settings (diff, ...). If you take all that along with what other posters already mentioned about stability and grip and you get a highly sensitive system that the driver needs to operate.

So the answer in my opinion is yes, braking feel changes a lot depending on the cars. Each car probably has a slightly different feel to it, different priorities and probably different braking curve. Some cars use different manufacturers as well which is probably what surprised Ricciardo when he moved to Renault.

To be honest, I feel that the problem for him was that Renault had bad brakes and he couldn't do massive divebombs. He seems to be saying that McLaren is better in that respect (closer to Red Bull), possibly because McLaren changed brake manufacturer for this season.

trinidefender
trinidefender

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 17:35
BatCave96 wrote:

How does the braking feel change from one car to another? For example, are the brakes technically that different between the Renault and Mclaren considering these cars are very similar in performance. Also, don't most F1 teams use the same brake suppliers.

Rosberg was saying in a video, I think when he was driving a Rimac Concept car, that in F1 part of what they need to do is to get everything completely right. One of these things is braking, not only the feel is important but due to sheer complexity of the cars it is not just feel of the mechanical brakes. All cars use the braking to recharge the batteries so they need to get the curve completely right or the driver will be surprised by braking as the conditions change, for example he passes over a slippier part of the track and the car suddenly has much less grip and locks up. IIRC he mentioned that they needed to fine tune this and alongside various other settings (diff, ...). If you take all that along with what other posters already mentioned about stability and grip and you get a highly sensitive system that the driver needs to operate.

So the answer in my opinion is yes, braking feel changes a lot depending on the cars. Each car probably has a slightly different feel to it, different priorities and probably different braking curve. Some cars use different manufacturers as well which is probably what surprised Ricciardo when he moved to Renault.

To be honest, I feel that the problem for him was that Renault had bad brakes and he couldn't do massive divebombs. He seems to be saying that McLaren is better in that respect (closer to Red Bull), possibly because McLaren changed brake manufacturer for this season.
Did they change brake supplier?

haza
haza

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:01
Ted Kravitz on the In The Fast Lane Podcast. Some interesting comments on McLaren.

Kravitz says there are some signs that things are going very well for the UK-based team.

It was weird at the test actually, McLaren, they had a very good day one in the dusty conditions and then they had a good day two,” he told the Podcast.

“And then they went all sort of coy and they thought, ‘Oh my goodness, we better not show everything’.

“It’s like they were scared. They spooked themselves and they didn’t want to give anything away so they stopped setting quick times to put everybody off the scent. But they were very happy.

“That was them saying globally, everything is looking optimal in the new McLaren. There are going to be some doubts about whether they will be even faster than the factory Mercedes team as well. Some people have got McLaren in second behind Red Bull.”

Link to full podcast https://share.transistor.fm/s/aba88d74
I remember a certain team that did this and that certain team also happened to wedge a Mercedes engine into a car it wasn’t designed for and come up with an innovative diffuser.

j2004p
j2004p

haza wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 19:13
I remember a certain team that did this and that certain team also happened to wedge a Mercedes engine into a car it wasn’t designed for and come up with an innovative diffuser.
Very good point, didn't they do rather well out of it? :wink:

haza
haza

j2004p wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 19:23
haza wrote:
If remember rightly they won both titles 👍🏻

Macklaren
Macklaren

haza wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 19:42
j2004p wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 19:23
haza wrote:
If remember rightly they won both titles 👍🏻
with car #22? (2+2=4, right?)

diffuser

trinidefender wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 19:04
FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 17:35
BatCave96 wrote:

Nope but they Changed the PU supplier. A large percentage of the rear braking comes from the PU.

_cerber1

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

trinidefender wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 19:04
diffuser wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 19:51
Nope but they Changed the PU supplier. A large percentage of the rear braking comes from the PU.
Not officially but this year Akebono (previous brake partner) is not listed on the spec sheet of the car. In previous years it always said "Akebono brakes", now it is just brakes. It's possible they changed the brake supplier but did it under the radar.

Scarbs mentioned it as well:

Apparently Mercedes and Red Bull use Brembo (not confirmed) - if this is true, it would explain why McLaren would move to them, Ricciardo preferred them and Mercedes engine is probably fine tuned to them.
This article says they supply 8 teams - https://racingnews365.com/formula-1-bra ... t-creation

Do we have an idea which two don't use them?

godlameroso

haza wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:01
Ted Kravitz on the In The Fast Lane Podcast. Some interesting comments on McLaren.

Kravitz says there are some signs that things are going very well for the UK-based team.

It was weird at the test actually, McLaren, they had a very good day one in the dusty conditions and then they had a good day two,” he told the Podcast.

“And then they went all sort of coy and they thought, ‘Oh my goodness, we better not show everything’.

“It’s like they were scared. They spooked themselves and they didn’t want to give anything away so they stopped setting quick times to put everybody off the scent. But they were very happy.

“That was them saying globally, everything is looking optimal in the new McLaren. There are going to be some doubts about whether they will be even faster than the factory Mercedes team as well. Some people have got McLaren in second behind Red Bull.”

Link to full podcast https://share.transistor.fm/s/aba88d74
It wasn't just the diffuser, it was the first outwash front wing of the wide wing era.
Saishū kōnā

_cerber1

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ricc & Norty

mclaren111