2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

dissapointing to be behind leclerc and gasly, lets se tomorrow, but dissapointing i have to say

Emag
Emag

Well last year qualifying wasn't very good here either, but the race turned out to be much better. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Either way, we got a full season ahead of us, and McLaren has definitely improved over last year (relative to the gap to the front). There were tracks last year where McLaren was very competitive, it's going to be exciting so see how they will be at those tracks this year.

Macklaren
Macklaren

I'm happy that the team is in a place where P6 and P7 feels disappointing. Hope we can keep those places at more tracks than the other midfielders

Mansell89
Mansell89

Take Max and Lewis, and to some extent Le Clerc- out of it as absolutely elite driving talent- and actually we’re 3-4 tenths off Bottas- we’re narrowing the gaps down in my view which is great.

I think Alonso, Le Clerc, Hamilton and Max all showed why they are absolutely awesome today.

Dan and Lando will raise their games- gauntlet is laid down.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 18:13
genarro wrote:I think its too early to judge the pace of the cars.. Give it a couple of races and we will get a clearer picture.

But todays performance puts all the hype surounding us down.

Heads down and lets get a good race tomorow
Exactly... Heads down and keep pushing forward... The team is going in the right direction! Still fighting at the front of the midfield and closing the gap to the front as they should.

And who knows, the team may have setup the car a bit more thinking about race pace than qualifying compared to others, with how much degradation you get in Bahrain, protecting the tires a bit for the race could yield more points than starting closer to the front (here is me hoping! Haha)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You need to keep your nose clean in the race first and foremost, then reliability, and finally where you finish.

It's gonna be a strange year, we're gonna start to see teams bailing on it in the first quarter.

ripleysend
ripleysend

We may get to the end of season thankful that we have two top notch drivers both consistently scoring heavy points, through driver talent, reliability, good strategy and execution. That would see us very well placed as a team - it's a team game

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 18:13
genarro wrote:I think its too early to judge the pace of the cars.. Give it a couple of races and we will get a clearer picture.

But todays performance puts all the hype surounding us down.

Heads down and lets get a good race tomorow
Exactly... Heads down and keep pushing forward... The team is going in the right direction! Still fighting at the front of the midfield and closing the gap to the front as they should.

And who knows, the team may have setup the car a bit more thinking about race pace than qualifying compared to others, with how much degradation you get in Bahrain, protecting the tires a bit for the race could yield more points than starting closer to the front (here is me hoping! Haha)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You need to keep your nose clean in the race first and foremost, then reliability, and finally where you finish.

It's gonna be a strange year, we're gonna start to see teams bailing on it in the first quarter.
It’s going to be a great season... I have no doubts about that and you are right, a major factor is going to be when teams decide to switch 100% to 2022.

With as close as the midfield is, I’m afraid that teams will be revisiting their plans shortly! At the same time, some teams like Alpine and Aston may decide early to switch their focus if they are left behind, which could give them a bit of an advantage... A lot to discuss in 2021 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emag
Emag

Honestly, if they can keep up the challenge to Ferrari and AlphaTauri in the race tomorrow, then it doesn't matter at all if they are a bit slower over one lap at the moment. Points are given on the races. And we have to remember, both Ferrari and AlphaTauri had some amazing qualifying sessions last year as well, but very rarely were they able to transfer that pace over in the races. Let's see how it turns out this year.

Darth-Piekus

Out of curiosity. How much did we manage to close the gap compared to Red Bull and Mercedes?

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 18:46
Out of curiosity. How much did we manage to close the gap compared to Red Bull and Mercedes?
Everyone was slower than last year here, but relatively speaking, McLaren gained *0.8s on Mercedes and maintained the same gap over RedBull.

This is over one lap though. Maybe the Mercedes PU gives them better performance over a long run tomorrow.

Edit: My bad, misread the times last year, actually they gained about 0.8s on Mercedes not 0.4s.
Last edited by Emag on 27 Mar 2021, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

Seerix
Seerix

Lando was not very happy after the quali, not one word on radio from him.
I have to say Ferrari and AlphaTauri surprised me. Mostly AT, very strong showing by them. Looks like we were 5th fastest team in quali today so 6th and 7th are good starting positions. I am very curious for tomorrow's race and where we end up being in race pace. Fingers crossed we can move a bit up.

Darth-Piekus

Bothers me that we only got some gap closed over Mercedes but couldn't on Red Bull. On another note that Honda Engine raise suspicions to me as I read somewhere that they recreated the engine from 0 to a new spec. Hopefully they aren't doing any shady things like Ferrari did in 2019?

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 18:54
On another note that Honda Engine raise suspicions to me as I read somewhere that they recreated the engine from 0 to a new spec. Hopefully they aren't doing any shady things like Ferrari did in 2019?
Highly doubt it that they would do anything illegal. Honda made improvements on their layout. That gave both AlphaTauri and RedBull chassis benefits on top of whatever extra horse power they found over the winter. That's why the Honda teams are stronger this year.

Darth-Piekus

In any case it bothers me a little that we closed the gap to Mercedes and not Red Bull. Can't say the Diffuser Innovation gave us much of a boost.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 18:54
Bothers me that we only got some gap closed over Mercedes but couldn't on Red Bull. On another note that Honda Engine raise suspicions to me as I read somewhere that they recreated the engine from 0 to a new spec. Hopefully they aren't doing any shady things like Ferrari did in 2019?
Here we go again, Racing Point last year.....Honda this year 🙄! Why not just concentrate on McLaren and their own doing rather than being into question other teams/engine manufacturers?