2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:It will be difficult. Tomorrow they promise a strong wind throughout the day, and there are rivals who start on yellow tires.
It still should be a 2 stop race... Hopefully starting on the Softs won’t be that much of an issue... In addition, the temperature will be cooler which should help with degradation... Let’s hope we have good clean race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mansell89
Mansell89

Was our long run pace good?

I’m sure the data I glanced at showed us a way behind the Mercs and Red Bull?

I’d be delighted to see McLarens race pace be really strong tomorrow and that would bode well for the season ahead of they could.

panchutay
panchutay

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 20:47
Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 19:40
Lando’s fastest lap in FP2:

The car doesn’t look too bad, although you can see the corrections on the second half of the lap... Still work to do on the balance.

Long run pace wasn’t horrible, but it was far from the top 2... No wonder why the team is trying to lower expectations since contrary to fan believe, they won’t be crashing Mercedes / RBR’s Championship party this season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How far off were they? I read Lando was in a train of cars though.
This is the long run information:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202103 ... 87910c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What tyres will NOR and RIC start with tomorrow?

MCL's FP2 runs on mediums seemed better than Ferrari's (if not for their outlier laps) but no data on Alpha Tauri's.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Mansell89 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 00:55
Was our long run pace good?

I’m sure the data I glanced at showed us a way behind the Mercs and Red Bull?

I’d be delighted to see McLarens race pace be really strong tomorrow and that would bode well for the season ahead of they could.
Well being behind Mercedes and Red Bull on race pace is not that bad. It would be incredible to be ahead (we' are not there yet).

From the comments they made, they sound much more positive then before qualifying. They are not downplaying their chances. Sounds like they think they have race pace to put up a fight with Alpha Tauri and Ferrari. Last year Ferrari in Leclerc's hand was a much better qualifying car then race car, we'll see if it continues.

djos

For the first time running the Mercedes PU in anger, I think that was a bloody good result for Mclaren.
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

From what I saw from the long runs, we only have the race pace to fight with Ferrari and Alpha, it wasn’t anything special I wouldn’t even say it was quicker than the aforementioned.
Gasly starts on the Medium and no doubt Perez will from outside the top 10, those 2 will worry Bottas for the podium. Personally a double points finish between 7th and 9th places will be considered a decent result today
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Maybe it's just me and got taken down a lot from yesterday but I am not sure how much different the race will be in terms of pace compared to those in front.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 14:30
Maybe it's just me and got taken down a lot from yesterday but I am not sure how much different the race will be in terms of pace compared to those in front.
I don't expect them to be faster than those in front. Realistically, I am expecting Perez to go through, and hopefully have the pace to keep up with AlphaTauri / Ferrari to potentially get ahead of them through a better strategy.

Darth-Piekus

Did Mclaren perhaps do something wrong with the set up or was the whole picture being close to the first two and clear from the rest so far fake? I mean after showing such a good form I was hoping for a good showdown and it was underwhelming.

genarro
genarro

I got the feeling that us fans were on the hype wagon but not the team.. Looks like they are happy with the results and the most important thing is that their correlation is spot on.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 14:45
Did Mclaren perhaps do something wrong with the set up or was the whole picture being close to the first two and clear from the rest so far fake? I mean after showing such a good form I was hoping for a good showdown and it was underwhelming.
We don't know but they were overhyped a bit after practice. Drivers haven't felt comfortable with the car and on the longruns in FP2 they were around 0.1 faster than Sainz, so nothing too special.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

All things considered, the team sound more bullish than I expected, it seems they were the only ones not surprised by their qualifying pace. Whether it’s just them doing the glass half full thing, we’ll soon find out. It would be encouraging if they actually have the pace to move forward and take it to Alpha Tauri and Ferrari. But first things first, a good clean start is needed.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 14:45
It's was only fake from people hyping it up, I said back in testing Mclaren thought they were behind the podiums but in front of the midfield. That's exactly where they are.

Darth-Piekus

Are they in front of the midfield though? That didn't really show yesterday so far unless they have given everything to race pace today so that is a different story.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Really? They're 6th and 7th. Where else is that?