2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Daniel struggling to make an impression on Lando and Leclerc. Probably conserving right now after having been caught out with the pitstops. Leclerc hanging on to Lando right now.

Darth-Piekus

Leclerc though seems to be gaining. I think Norris should control that difference to at least 3 seconds.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

We'll see which care takes care after tires. I think McLaren did alright in testing regarding degradation, Ferrari looked worse.

On the upside, Alpha Tauri doesn't look superfast after their issues in first laps.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 28 Mar 2021, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Xero

Perez looks a real threat now too.

Darth-Piekus

Well we can't expect to beat both Mercedes and Red Bulls. Our fight is with Ferrari now and Leclerc who is chasing us like a shark and he seems to be slightly gaining.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 17:46
mwillems wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 17:38
I don't think he is faster than Leclerc. They seem evenly matched at the moment.
No but before he could use DRS behind leclerc, which cancelled out the DRs of the following cars.

The tow also helped him stay in contention with leclerc. He will find it hard to get back on his tail now.
I believe is the tire management portion of the race... Lando is managing the gap to Leclerc and RiC is probably conserving tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is, but only because to get in contention he'd destroy his tyres. Still that one downside in F1 :/

If he was 1.5 secs away he'd be pushing i think.

On another note, Otmar just confirmed what we thought, the regs hurt low rake cars more than higher.

That explains why the gap to RB is the same is but we are closer to Merc.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

He’s managing that gap to LEC

Darth-Piekus

Seems that you are right. He is just controlling that gap.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

There is no way we are going to keep PER behind though. Pace is electric on the hard.

mwillems

Xero wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 17:50
Perez looks a real threat now too.
Did he do a second pit or are his tyres nearing end of life?

The undercut is dangerous if he's is still on his second set, and he may be the trigger.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Well it is obvious that Perez is gonna pass us at some point but let's see what will happen. Our opponent is Leclerc.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote: No but before he could use DRS behind leclerc, which cancelled out the DRs of the following cars.

The tow also helped him stay in contention with leclerc. He will find it hard to get back on his tail now.
I believe is the tire management portion of the race... Lando is managing the gap to Leclerc and RiC is probably conserving tires

I think it is, but only because to get in contention he'd destroy his tyres. Still that one downside in F1 :/

On another note, Otmar just confirmed what we thought, the regs hurt low rake cars more than higher.

Well, I think Otmar is been a bit of a crying baby if you ask me, lol

Not saying that it isn’t true, but the rules weren’t made to hurt them really, everyone until testing thought that the changes would be worst for the high rake teams

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 17:56
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Well, I think Otmar is been a bit of a crying baby if you ask me, lol

Not saying that it isn’t true, but the rules weren’t made to hurt them really, everyone until testing thought that the changes would be worst for the high rake teams

He was saying that it has helped him i think.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Seems that Norris is making a gap and Ricciardo is now gaining. The tyres of Leclerc must be dying down. Let's see what happens. That Perez though is coming like crazy.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

A shame we couldn't defend against Perez.