2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

NOR to PIT: Are those fireworks for me?

PIT to NOR: They can be :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Good result. P4 and P7.

Car seems good. Upper midfield at least and we are closer to the teams upfront. We are not being lapped.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I’m curious to see the race report, could Daniel have had damage?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Xero

Great result, superb drive from Lando. Need to give Daniel a bit of slack, it was his first race with the team, he will need a few more to get up to full speed.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Very good race, the pace was way better on the long run compared to qualifying. ~0.8s off the leaders per lap, whereas last year I don't think there was any race where the long run pace was under a second. Finished nearly 13 seconds ahead of Leclerc with Norris, so that 0.2s gap on the qualifying flipped around today in McLaren's favor.

On the other hand, Daniel wasn't very good today, let's wait and see what is going to say after the race, but I definitely didn't expect this large gap between Lando and Daniel today (Lando on average around 0.4s faster per lap)
In the last Stint, Lando was lapping in within half a second of Lewis actually... Yesterday I hoped that the team setup the car a bit more towards the race and today it showed.

I believe it was a good race for Daniel, still getting used to the car and he may have gone a little loser on the rear for a better Qualifying compared to Lando and that compromised him a bit on the race... But for the first race of the season, he gets a passing grade from me ;)

Also... All the naysayers about Lando may be changing their tune a bit after today, he drove one of his best races today... He was on the rhythm all race long and managed the gaps / pace as needed... Been racy when he needed and conservative when he had to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darth-Piekus

Perhaps he had some damage somewhere otherwise that cannot be explained much as he was just as fast as Norris yesterday.

On another note Norris is maturing impressively. If he keeps working he will be the new Hamilton.

the EDGE
the EDGE

So pleased Lando took the fight to Leclerc and beat him. That was the final step he needed to take in his development curve

What a drive, what a midfield win & what a star he is

Stella effort from Danny too, excellent first race... far better than his first for Renault 😂. Great things to come for sure 😃

Macklaren
Macklaren

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 18:50
Perhaps he had some damage somewhere otherwise that cannot be explained much as he was just as fast as Norris yesterday.

On another note Norris is maturing impressively. If he keeps working he will be the new Hamilton.
Daniel kept complaining about "pushing" on both axles the entire race. Wonder if the gasly clash broke something

Xero

Macklaren wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:09
Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 18:50

Daniel kept complaining about "pushing" on both axles the entire race. Wonder if the gasly clash broke something
Sounds like the same issue other Merc powered cars were having this weekend. Definitely a small niggle they need to iron out.

Nice little fact popped up on Sky there, 7 consecutive double points finishes. Highlights how consistent the team have been performing, and staying out of trouble on track.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Very solid weekend indeed - 18 points on the scoreboard, a full race distance for our new driver and new engines, and a clean execution.

A strong reminder of the challenge we have against these mighty teams at the front, but more solid foundations from which to
build.

Am I right in saying that the Merc PU has had some braking issues as well this weekend (hence the “push” comments we keep hearing from drivers including Dan Ricc)? That could find us a little more time.

Back to Europe we go- how do we expect our car to handle Imola, Portimao and Barcelona?!

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 18:49
Emag wrote:Very good race, the pace was way better on the long run compared to qualifying. ~0.8s off the leaders per lap, whereas last year I don't think there was any race where the long run pace was under a second. Finished nearly 13 seconds ahead of Leclerc with Norris, so that 0.2s gap on the qualifying flipped around today in McLaren's favor.

On the other hand, Daniel wasn't very good today, let's wait and see what is going to say after the race, but I definitely didn't expect this large gap between Lando and Daniel today (Lando on average around 0.4s faster per lap)
In the last Stint, Lando was lapping in within half a second of Lewis actually... Yesterday I hoped that the team setup the car a bit more towards the race and today it showed.

I believe it was a good race for Daniel, still getting used to the car and he may have gone a little loser on the rear for a better Qualifying compared to Lando and that compromised him a bit on the race... But for the first race of the season, he gets a passing grade from me ;)

Also... All the naysayers about Lando may be changing their tune a bit after today, he drove one of his best races today... He was on the rhythm all race long and managed the gaps / pace as needed... Been racy when he needed and conservative when he had to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think those who say he wasn't aggressive enough will stop if he keeps this up, it was fantastic.

But he did the same last year in the first few races so ... one result does not a champion make.

But it was a delight to see.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bauc

Great first race, great result for the team, we definitively have a better race car than for qualy and I liked how Lando put his elbow's out in the first lap battle with Daniel an d then he was just faster trough the entire race, however that is to be expected as RIC will need time to get to 100% of the Mclaren car.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Macklaren
Macklaren

Kudos to them for the clean racing at the start as well. That was close!

Emag
Emag

The result is amazing in itself, but I am more excited about the final gap to the leaders. In Abu Dhabi last year, McLaren had the best qualifying of the season (best qualifying in years actually), 0.25s off the pole. But they finished the race 60s off the leader. So that 0.25s gap to Max quadrupled over the race. This year, they did qualify 0.9 behind Max, but the race pace was actually a little bit better in comparison.

Last year we were getting "blue balled" a bit by McLaren's qualifying performance only to see them fall back massively in the race. This year, I feel like wherever they qualify, they will manage to at least hold that gap over the race distance as well, if not better it.

This is only the first race of the season though, so maybe it's too early to draw this conclusion, but I don't recall McLaren last year ever being better over the race compared to qualifying (related to the gap with the leader's).

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

And the front runners weren’t holding back/nursing tires in their fight. It was full on all the way. So the gap indeed IS encouraging