2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Yeah that looks significant. Pretty much the entire outer edge of the diffuser is gone. With context now his performance last weekend seems very impressive.

Herr_Koos

Chicane wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 16:44
Ricciardo damage
Hard to tell much from that picture, but looks like the left edge of the diffuser is broken off, and maybe a section of floor in front of that too.

ort895
ort895

Chicane wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/Itqoh35.png

Ricciardo damage
Pretty good chunk of that floor missing. Impressive to bring it home 7th.

elldizzle
elldizzle

Wow!. That damage is huge, no wonder his pace was off. Like others have said I'm hugely impressed with how he performed now.

djos

Chicane wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/Itqoh35.png

Ricciardo damage
Yikes, he's missing a big chunk of the diffuser on the left-hand side! :o

Dammed impressive result considering!

Btw, amazing job from Norris too! I was super impressed. =D>
"In downforce we trust"

Mclarensenna

The picture is very grainy any clearer pics by any chance? Hard to tell but that entire left side is missing a huge chunk from what i can see? That would be causing a lot of rear downforce loss, instability, extra tyre wear and tyre overheating issues.
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

djos

Andreas is saying the Mclaren MCL35m is the 3rd fastest car - based on the race at Bahrain.

https://apple.news/Ad_ul6OCYT3mFcDErctNg2w
"In downforce we trust"

bauc

djos wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 06:30
Andreas is saying the Mclaren MCL35m is the 3rd fastest car - based on the race at Bahrain.

I cant open the link for some reason, does he mean by race trim or in general?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Thunder

bauc wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 08:48
djos wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 06:30

I cant open the link for some reason, does he mean by race trim or in general?
He's talking about the Race:
“We’ve had a great start this weekend to the 2021 season. Congratulations to the whole team – here in Bahrain, back home at the factory and also, especially, to our colleagues at Mercedes, who worked really hard with our team over the winter to make sure we were ready to hit the ground running at the opening race.” Seidl said.

“Today the team executed the race very well, while Lando and Daniel drove strong races to bring us home in P4 and P7. It gives us good points in a Constructors’ Championship that looks already very, very tight. We had the third-quickest car today, but we acknowledge there’s going to be a tense battle for that spot this year.

“We leave Bahrain committed as ever to working hard, improving our car and ensuring we’re still as competitive at the final race as we were at the first.“
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

_cerber1

diffuser

Herr_Koos wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 13:23
Xero wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 13:10
https://f1bythenumbers.com/wp-content/u ... top_10.png

Averages excludes outlier laps.

Solid race pace relative to the others. Under a second to the front, and a healthy advantage over nearest rivals, Ferrari. Hopefully this translates well to other circuits, although that's pretty unlikely.

This may go to show that while other PUs have bridged the gap to Merc in qualifying trim, it's still the gold standard during the race. Better thermals allowing them to operate higher for longer.
Very cool breakdown. Norris just about matching Perez on race pace is very impressive. Having said that, Checo is quite a way off Max; wonder if that was mainly due to being stuck in traffic? I don't think Max is 0.6s/lap faster on pure pace.
Because he's removing outliers, it means more pit stops better lap time. That's Making Bottas, Perez and Gasley look better. Their lap times are benefiting from FRESH tires but the stop isn't factored it.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

diffuser wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 23:39
Herr_Koos wrote:
Xero wrote:

Solid race pace relative to the others. Under a second to the front, and a healthy advantage over nearest rivals, Ferrari. Hopefully this translates well to other circuits, although that's pretty unlikely.

This may go to show that while other PUs have bridged the gap to Merc in qualifying trim, it's still the gold standard during the race. Better thermals allowing them to operate higher for longer.
Very cool breakdown. Norris just about matching Perez on race pace is very impressive. Having said that, Checo is quite a way off Max; wonder if that was mainly due to being stuck in traffic? I don't think Max is 0.6s/lap faster on pure pace.
Because he's removing outliers, it means more pit stops better lap time. That's Making Bottas, Perez and Gasley look better. Their lap times are benefiting from FRESH tires but the stop isn't factored it.
What is most surprising to me is that Sainz had a much faster third stint than Leclerc. Both Sainz and Leclerc were "fighting", Leclerc was trying to stay P5 while Sainz was catching Ricciardo but Sainz has almost 0.5s faster lap times in the last stint. Is there something I am missing?

Ricciardo's medium stint looks decent (comparable to Norris/Leclerc). Stint on hards is some way back from Lando.

McFAN
McFAN

diffuser wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:
Xero wrote:

Good point.

Xero

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 00:02
What is most surprising to me is that Sainz had a much faster third stint than Leclerc. Both Sainz and Leclerc were "fighting", Leclerc was trying to stay P5 while Sainz was catching Ricciardo but Sainz has almost 0.5s faster lap times in the last stint. Is there something I am missing?

Ricciardo's medium stint looks decent (comparable to Norris/Leclerc). Stint on hards is some way back from Lando.
Yeah, I noticed that Sainz had a very strong 3rd stint on the hards, very close to Norris' pace. He would have been chasing down Daniel though, whereas Lando would have been cruising to conserve. On one hand it does reinforce that Ferrari are right on McLaren's tails, but also that when considering Daniel's damage that McLaren appear to have a bit more pace in their pockets. Still early days, I don't think we've seen the full order of play yet.

diffuser

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 00:02
diffuser wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:

maybe he turned the Pu down a coasted to the end.