2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

I don't think it matters much where we end up this year. After all we need to start early for next year to see if we can jump everyone by exploiting loopholes.

CjC
CjC

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 9jMmE.html

Lando, Lando, I thought we might have finished with these daft comments, especially after the past 2 stellar weekends.
I cringed a bit with his pre weekend comments too.

Danny Ric looked better compared to the first 2 weekends. Make what ever changes are required tonight and we should compete with the Ferrari tomorrow. It looks a bit like after Friday at Imola.... I wonder if Mclaren keep the PU turned down more than the others?
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Practice Report:

Lando Norris:

"Not a perfect day, a couple of issues here and there which interrupted some of our running. It wasn't too bad, it just meant we didn't quite get through the run plan as easily as we wanted to. We definitely have some work to do overnight on some things. I think there’s some quite clear areas we can focus on that, if we improve them a little bit overnight, we can definitely find some performance. So, that’s our aim tonight, we’ll see if we can come back stronger tomorrow."

Daniel Ricciardo:

“It was a pretty good day in terms of my personal feeling in the car. I felt pretty comfortable from lap one this morning. The more laps I do, the better I feel, but it certainly felt like everything was more familiar when I hopped in the car today. I was ready to get on with it. I think we’re getting there.

“We were eighth this afternoon, so we’re definitely in the ballpark. I’ve still got a bit to find but we did make a small step forward for the afternoon session. We’ll try to make another step tonight and we should be right in the mix tomorrow.”

Andrea Stella:

“Today, both practice sessions were very busy – the shortened 60-minute duration makes it quite challenging to get through the programme. In addition, here in Portugal, the conditions are quite testing because of the low-grip tarmac, the slow warm-up of the tyres and because of the wind, which make driving the car at the limit difficult. We had a very useful Friday and gathered good information on where we would like to improve the car overnight, and also on the likely behaviour of the tyres for the race. We’ll put it all together tonight, make some adjustments, and do our best tomorrow.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 9jMmE.html

Lando, Lando, I thought we might have finished with these daft comments, especially after the past 2 stellar weekends.

Danny Ric looked better compared to the first 2 weekends. Make what ever changes are required tonight and we should compete with the Ferrari tomorrow. It looks a bit like after Friday at Imola.... I wonder if Mclaren keep the PU turned down more than the others?
I don’t find the problem with Lando’s statement... The midfield is still tight, so an small mistake could get leave you out of Q3 (like Sainz at Imola last week, in a clear P3-P4 car).

Lando’s quote: “The car balance isn’t maybe quite as good as the past few weekends, so we definitely have a bit of work to do to be confident of being in the top 10,” he said.

He didn’t said that they won’t make it to Q3, simply stating that unless they fixed a few issues with the balance (which after watching the onboard, he did seem to struggle a bit and the car wasn’t as planted), they can’t be “confident” of making it to Q3.

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 19:59

I don’t find the problem with Lando’s statement... The midfield is still tight, so an small mistake could get leave you out of Q3 (like Sainz at Imola last week, in a clear P3-P4 car).

Lando’s quote: “The car balance isn’t maybe quite as good as the past few weekends, so we definitely have a bit of work to do to be confident of being in the top 10,” he said.

He didn’t said that they won’t make it to Q3, simply stating that unless they fixed a few issues with the balance (which after watching the onboard, he did seem to struggle a bit and the car wasn’t as planted), they can’t be “confident” of making it to Q3.

There’s nothing wrong with what he said, I just thought after the start he has had to the season he would start being a glass half full guy rather than half empty.
There is always a resignment early doors to not hit expectations- whether that’s the teams or the fans.
I think me and Lando will constantly clash in this respect.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 19:59

There’s nothing wrong with what he said, I just thought after the start he has had to the season he would start being a glass half full guy rather than half empty.
There is always a resignment early doors to not hit expectations- whether that’s the teams or the fans.
I think me and Lando will constantly clash in this respect.
I understand, I guess that he won’t be able to answer the way some fans may like him to answer.

I for one don’t pay too much attention to the statements after Practice since all teams are keeping their cards close to their chest and much preferred the team to under promise and over deliver than the other way around.

Ultimately, what matters is what they do on track more than what they say... Let’s hope they make a big jump like they did at Imola over night and they are once again at the front of the midfield... I’m afraid that wind conditions will play a significant roll since depending on direction, a tail wind seems to rob the MCL35M from considerable amount of front grip.

billamend
billamend

Are people here really complaining that Norris prefers to under-promise and over-deliver?

Macklaren
Macklaren

what do we think of Alpine's pace? real?

CjC
CjC

billamend wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 21:43
Are people here really complaining that Norris prefers to under-promise and over-deliver?
I wouldn’t say I’m complaining, obviously it’s good when he does as you say.

I just prefer Russell’s ‘confidence’ which I’d like Norris to have.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... IngKJ.html

Mansell89
Mansell89

Very tight midfield- we do seem to learn good lessons on the Friday so hoping for a step forward tomorrow for quali but it will be very tight.

What type of weakness does Portimao exploit? Is it medium speed corners or more low speed that it tends to find out?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Alpine upgrades move them into the McL, Ferrari, Alpha T battle and ultimately that will make us better and that’s always a good thing.

Emag
Emag

Given what happened in Imola, I am being reserved about any comments regarding practice here. Until qualifying is done, we can't really be sure how close or far off the pace they are.

billamend
billamend

CjC wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 22:02
billamend wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 21:43
I wouldn’t say I’m complaining, obviously it’s good when he does as you say.

I just prefer Russell’s ‘confidence’ which I’d like Norris to have.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... IngKJ.html
Confidence that never delivers and bottles under pressure

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Given what happened in Imola, I am being reserved about any comments regarding practice here. Until qualifying is done, we can't really be sure how close or far off the pace they are.
And even if we don’t have the best qualifying session, let’s not enter panic mode!

It seems that getting energy into the tires was very difficult today and knowing how much of an impact tire temperature have on lap time, whomever manages to get them in the right window faster will have a competitive advantage during qualifying... The risk is that if the car is setup to warm the tires faster, you could also risk overheating them during longer stints, with the negative effect that it could have during the race... It will be tricky to find the right compromise.

The one thing that really intrigues me is the apparent lack of updates at Portimao, the MCL35M hasn’t received major updates since testing (at least not that I have spotted), the most notable one the winglet at the corner of the floor, everything else seemed to be very close to the spec run at testing... I would have expected a few updates for the car by now.

MrGapes

Let’s hope for a large update package at Barca... because surely since pre season testing they have done more than a few winglets in front of the rear tires

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 May 2021, 01:15
Emag wrote:Given what happened in Imola, I am being reserved about any comments regarding practice here. Until qualifying is done, we can't really be sure how close or far off the pace they are.
And even if we don’t have the best qualifying session, let’s not enter panic mode!

It seems that getting energy into the tires was very difficult today and knowing how much of an impact tire temperature have on lap time, whomever manages to get them in the right window faster will have a competitive advantage during qualifying... The risk is that if the car is setup to warm the tires faster, you could also risk overheating them during longer stints, with the negative effect that it could have during the race... It will be tricky to find the right compromise.

The one thing that really intrigues me is the apparent lack of updates at Portimao, the MCL35M hasn’t received major updates since testing (at least not that I have spotted), the most notable one the winglet at the corner of the floor, everything else seemed to be very close to the spec run at testing... I would have expected a few updates for the car by now.

The team said there are updates coming in the next few races. So not too long till we find out whats in store.

Agree about patience. We often don't show our hand until Q1 and our race pace is possibly better than our Qualy pace anyway.

As the data is crunched overnight and new setups are tried in P3 we may get closer the a solid Q3 time.

Did anyone hear if the deployment gremlins are fully resolved?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit