2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Well I am confident that we had the faster car and that we will be able to dispatch the Ferraris.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:38
CjC wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:25
‘Too close to the Aston Martin on our last run’

That’s not good enough
He meant close in terms of track position, not laptime. Couldn't get a second lap in because dirty air would have ruined it anyway.
Yea I know, poor execution by the team- that’s who I’m slamming
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 May 2021, 18:03
Not the best qualifying session for the team, but in the fight for points tomorrow... Wind conditions settle a bit during Q2 and the car shined in that session, when it picked up again in Q3 the car struggled a bit more, although there was probably pace to be a couple of spots higher for tomorrow’s race in Lando’s car, the team didn’t managed the gap to VET during the last run in Q3... Daniel had simply a mix of a bad session and some bad luck that saw him exit in Q1.

We still can get decent points with Lando tomorrow and it should be interesting to watch Daniel try to claw back to the top 10 during the race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was very nice to see the car so competitive when the wind died down in Q2, Mclaren were arguably stronger in those particular conditions today than in any quali session this season!

Looks like the wind conditions will be the same tomorrow as they where for Q3 so I feel it’s a case of damage limitation tomorrow then get back on worrying the podium contenders in Spain 8)
Last edited by CjC on 01 May 2021, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 May 2021, 16:32
It's true that points are given tomorrow but a good driver should have been able to overcome his problems by race two. Look at Fernando Alonso. Ricciardo is better than that.
LOL Fernando Alonso just got outqualified by his teammate in the tune of 0.7sec. Moreover I saw some of his onboards in Imola; he is nowhere close to Ocon on current pace. The only thing that made it respectable is that Ocon had traffic. Once in clean air Ocon was easily gapping alonso at a 0.4sec+ rate per lap. The gap is very similar to what we see between Ricciardo and Norris. Very strange how these newcomers are struggling so much, and you've got Carlos Sainz who has already outqualified Leclerc and has never looked out of touch with him in three races. But yeah both Alonso and Ricciardo have a lot of catching up to do otherwise it will be an ugly season for them.

CjC
CjC

I think Sainz is just proving his class, especially to the Ferrari fans no doubt- us Mclaren fans realised how good he was half way through the 2019 season.

It’s makes you wonder where Mclaren would be if Sainz was still driving for them, you would have to imagine they’d be absolutely a clear third on points in the constructors

mwillems

CjC wrote:
01 May 2021, 19:27
I think Sainz is just proving his class, especially to the Ferrari fans no doubt- us Mclaren fans realised how good he was half way through the 2019 season.

It’s makes you wonder where Mclaren would be if Sainz was still driving for them, you would have to imagine they’d be absolutely a clear third on points in the constructors
Yeah possibly, or possibly that triggered something in Lando that made him feel like there was a space to grow into.
Perhaps Sainz also moved up a gear this year.

You never really know what would have happened but I am delighted for Lando's form this year, so far. And given that Danni has had one below par race and one below par Qualy session, I can't say that I'm too bothered about his performance right now, his luck will turn and his class will show, I believe.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

CjC wrote:
01 May 2021, 18:59
SmallSoldier wrote:
Not the best qualifying session for the team, but in the fight for points tomorrow... Wind conditions settle a bit during Q2 and the car shined in that session, when it picked up again in Q3 the car struggled a bit more, although there was probably pace to be a couple of spots higher for tomorrow’s race in Lando’s car, the team didn’t managed the gap to VET during the last run in Q3... Daniel had simply a mix of a bad session and some bad luck that saw him exit in Q1.

We still can get decent points with Lando tomorrow and it should be interesting to watch Daniel try to claw back to the top 10 during the race.

It was very nice to see the car so competitive when the wind died down in Q2, Mclaren were arguably stronger in those particular conditions today than in any quali session this season!

Looks like the wind conditions will be the same tomorrow as they where for Q3 so I feel it’s a case of damage limitation tomorrow then get back on worrying the podium contenders in Spain 8)
I’m expecting a good race, Lando said if not for traffic he had the speed for p4, so he clearly had the car set-up

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

It’s absolutely annoying... we should have gained the 5th place..

Darth-Piekus

It was really annoying indeed. I dare to say that Lando had the speed to split the Mercedes today as he did in Q1 and Q2.

mwillems

That would be a very narrow window of time to aim for....

-Bandit

MrGapes

Just reviewing qualifying....

Daniel very unfortunate... although I don’t think that mistake at the end compensates for even close to that gap to Lando... but he’s world class I’m sure he will get there

Lando could of been higher... but it is what it is... I think the Ferrari’s are strong, especially Leclerc on the Mediums, but as we saw today our car seems to perform very nicely in these windy conditions (hats off to James Key and his team... after last years wind sensitivity issues), the softs pace on the Maca seems very strong, so can be optimistic for a possible top 5

mwillems

Confirmation from Daniel, the car does not suit his driving style and is quite unique. He is awaiting updates to bring the car a little more in line with his style.

In the mean time, he is trying to adapt his style.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/ricciard ... his-style/

“The car, at least the tendencies, reward a bit of a different technique, a bit of a different style and that’s from turning in to the way you use the brake and get back on throttle,” said Ricciardo
Last edited by mwillems on 02 May 2021, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

haza
haza

Race day today still optimistic for points starting p7 as we have the last 3 weekends interesting to see how danny moves up the fields and if he can get a top6-7 finish on a separate note good job for arrow McLaren on their first Indycar podium

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I don’t think the wind was a big issue for the team in Q3, it wasn’t even mentioned by the team in the post qualifying brief. Lando was put off by another car backing out of a lap, he says the pace was there for possibly a P4. So I don’t really feel it’s a case of damage limitation, I think they have the car to move forward, with the usual caveats of getting a good, clean start etc.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I don’t think the wind was a big issue for the team in Q3, it wasn’t even mentioned by the team in the post qualifying brief. Lando was put off by another car backing out of a lap, he says the pace was there for possibly a P4. So I don’t really feel it’s a case of damage limitation, I think they have the car to move forward, with the usual caveats of getting a good, clean start etc.
I believe the car has the pace to at least get Ocon, it will be interesting to see if he can challenge Carlos in what could be their first fight post-Mclaren.

The car should have enough pace for Daniel to get back into the Top 10, let’s see what he can do.