2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mafeotul
mafeotul

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

TimW wrote:
08 May 2021, 11:45
mafeotul wrote:
08 May 2021, 11:36
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 May 2021, 01:06
This is good for Mercedes if it continues like this because RedBull said this is the track where their updates should work well!

The RedBull car is struggling with understeer in some corners ( imo). Max running wide hitting curbs spoling his qually sim, damageing his wing and all that.

Not sure what's happening exactly with the RB16B set-up but Mercedes is wasting no time capitalizing on this golden opportunity!

Bottas and HAM are sandbagging too. Qualfiying should be easy 1:16s.
Don’t let the Bull army see this. Some are claiming RedBull to be one tenth and a half up on a Merc that has ran the heaviest on Fridays for 7 years. What’s the most impressive thing is that Mercedes has still not upgraded their car, have been on an upward trajectory, and are still finding pace in the car. Makes you wonder, how fast their ultimate pace is when the W12 is fully unlocked.
I am slowly starting to believe that Mercedes is hiding performance. If Red Bull stays close in the championship battle, with Max in second position on the WDC, RB will keep developing this year's car, compromising development of next year.
I am usually not into conspiracy theories, but that Mercedes finds more pace without upgrades than RB with upgrades is weird.
I posted the below on a different forum. I don’t believe they are doing such things, but they are certainly playing games:

Let’s not twist this guys into something it’s clearly not. I have seen this before. This exact narrative, this mind-game. It all started in the latter stages of the 2017 season. When Mercedes is under pressure, they come up with this imaginary deficit. I don’t know wether this is to reduce pressure on the team, or to impact their work-rate, or to simply screw with competition when The reality is, the difference between the two cars is minute. Right now, it’s literally quite equal with slight advantages given to one team depending on track. The problem is, you have Hamilton on one side, and Max on the other. Each easily capable to extract insane performance from a car that hasn’t really got it, and each with the ability to be decisive when no one on the grid, or their team expect it.

My point here however is that since Bahrain, RedBull has been consistently at the same pace, strong, quick, easily adaptable, whilst Mercedes has been on a strong upwards trajectory. The latter is the one people at the minute seem to have put it under the radar. The difference in performance within 3 GP’s WITHOUT any upgrade to the car is massive. The fact that they can extract that much out of a standard chassis, that hasn’t seen the re-vamp it needs should worry everyone. It’s not just about this season. It’s about the next. From my perspective it’s a statement that despite virtually everything being done to stop them, they will always compete for Top 2. Not even top 3. Top 2.

And a small PS, big kudos to the Bulls for finally getting the package. Without them, this season, the fight, and Lewis’s 8th, would have meant less than 10% of what it would mean now, if he won it.

Big Tea

godlameroso wrote:
08 May 2021, 03:05
Hoffman900 wrote:
08 May 2021, 01:22
Calling it now, Perez on the hard for a zero stop strategy :lol:
Pit on lap 2, the ultimate undercut.

Could do it the other way around. New soft 5 laps from the end, including a fastest lap attempt.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mafeotul
mafeotul

Big Tea wrote:
08 May 2021, 11:53
godlameroso wrote:
08 May 2021, 03:05
Hoffman900 wrote:
08 May 2021, 01:22
Calling it now, Perez on the hard for a zero stop strategy :lol:
Pit on lap 2, the ultimate undercut.

Could do it the other way around. New soft 5 laps from the end, including a fastest lap attempt.
I believe we should call that doing the Renault. 98% of the laps for first stint, 2% hoping for God’s miracle, followed by insert sad baguette song at the end of GP.

djones
djones

If Mercedes are on pole, I suspect we should probably all recalibrate our close championship expectations.

All the time and balance is coming from setup changes and they have not even started doing any real upgrades yet like Redbull are this weekend. Given Mercedes started developing this year's car months before anybody else (probably), it's safe to say there is quite a lot in the pipeline in terms of new ideas and parts.

Sevach
Sevach

Red Bull moving a lot through turn 9.
Red Bull took their high downforce wing out and are back to the spoon shaped one.
Fast through the first 2 sectors, have to survive the S3.
Last edited by Sevach on 08 May 2021, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

mafeotul
mafeotul

djones wrote:
08 May 2021, 12:29
If Mercedes are on pole, I suspect we should probably all recalibrate our close championship expectations.

All the time and balance is coming from setup changes and they have not even started doing any real upgrades yet like Redbull are this weekend. Given Mercedes started developing this year's car months before anybody else (probably), it's safe to say there is quite a lot in the pipeline in terms of new ideas and parts.
Like i said in the past, if you have the cojones to poke the bear, you better have them when he wakes up.

El Scorchio

This could be similar to Portugal in that if the Mercedes is mighty exiting the last corner, they may be comparatively rapid down the main straight and be able to attack/defend very effectively.

mafeotul
mafeotul

I said it earlier, besides Hamilton, I don’t believe anyone comes close to Charles in terms of overall performance. Quali, Race Pace and Race - Craft. I know everyone think Max is the second coming, but in my eyes, Charles is the one.

maxxer
maxxer

Can the sky guys shut up once in awhile lol

sunny1304r
sunny1304r

Either ferrari has found a lot of performance or their engine is really turned on compare to others.

El Scorchio

Finally Red Bull have joined the party!

matt_b
matt_b

Looking at the sector 3 times Mercedes are going to dominant around Monaco

El Scorchio

mafeotul wrote:
08 May 2021, 12:43
I said it earlier, besides Hamilton, I don’t believe anyone comes close to Charles in terms of overall performance. Quali, Race Pace and Race - Craft. I know everyone think Max is the second coming, but in my eyes, Charles is the one.
I think Leclerc is seriously underrated.

godlameroso

P3 is done, P1 with .3 to spare say it ain't so. Surely Mercedes is miles ahead the Hamilton fans said so.

Bottas being split by Ferraris and a McLaren would be the Icing on the cake, since Perez is having difficulty with one lap pace.
Last edited by godlameroso on 08 May 2021, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

mafeotul
mafeotul

godlameroso wrote:
08 May 2021, 12:59
P3 is done, P1 with .3 to spare say it ain't so. Surely Mercedes is miles ahead the Hamilton fans said so.
I shall love to debate the 8th title at the end of the year, if it happens, solely with you. ;)