2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

MKlaus wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:04
vanburin wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:53
MKlaus wrote:
08 May 2021, 16:46
any idea who is going to replace tsunoda at alpha tauri mid season? the guy is struggling compared to gasly. isn't even close.
Where there is smoke, there is fire? I find it amazing this is already even a talking point only mid-way through the 4th race weekend.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3141 ... mate-gasly
it appears as if he lacks the temperament to learn and improve. he seems to be impatient, frustrated and angry in the car. gasly has made leaps and bounds progress since he was expelled. if this how it goes for tsunoda, i don't think he would last the whole season. good thing for him is, there is no genuinely talented young driver in the red bull driver academy right now who is ready to jump in.
Agree. He didn’t handle today well and I don’t think the team are going to take too kindly to what he said about the car and also insinuated about Gasly’s car. Cardinal sin number one.

Hopefully someone will put a friendly hand on his shoulder and just offer him a little advice and guidance. They can excuse a few bad days at the office in a driver so young but you need to be professional on the radio and in interviews where the world is listening. Albon is only a phone call away....

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:16
214270 wrote:NOR?

Anyone know what happened?
Between track devolution and losing some time from the gravel that Perez spin left on the track he lost almost 4 tenths in the last sector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
👍
Last edited by 214270 on 08 May 2021, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 May 2021, 17:10
An important bit of information came from Lewis during his post qualy ibterveiw: Mercedes compromized qualy to set the the car up for the race so he wasn't happy with the qualy balance at all . If RedBull had done the opposite it should make for an interesting first stint.
I find it weird. I mean, Barcelona is a track where it is super difficult to overtake. Why would yo compromise your qualy set-up,then?

McMika98
McMika98

Vasconia wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:08
MKlaus wrote:
vanburin wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:53

Where there is smoke, there is fire? I find it amazing this is already even a talking point only mid-way through the 4th race weekend.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3141 ... mate-gasly
it appears as if he lacks the temperament to learn and improve. he seems to be impatient, frustrated and angry in the car. gasly has made leaps and bounds progress since he was expelled. if this how it goes for tsunoda, i don't think he would last the whole season. good thing for him is, there is no genuinely talented young driver in the red bull driver academy right now who is ready to jump in.
Tsunoda has some serious talent but the guy seems to lack patience. Maybe he was too encoured with his first great weekend in F1 and now he thinks that things are easy, they are not. He should be more humble and shut his mouth, these impertinent radios are not a good idea. #-o
Never rated Tsunoda, he is decent but not going to be a top level driver. If he does not get this act together, Albon will replace him in Toro Rosso.

Jolle
Jolle

Vasconia wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:12
NL_Fer wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:31
Ham & Ver very close today. Ham & Ros were also close in 2016 and we know how that ended...
I think Hamilton is a much more matured driver and human being right now but when things are so close anything can happen. In any case, so far both Mercedes and Lewis has maximized their results, which is not the case of Max and RB.
There is also a big difference in fighting against (part of) your team and fighting with them against another team. If on some days the redbull is faster it’s easier to accept then when you get outscored by your teammate in the same car with the same data.

El Scorchio

Vasconia wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:16
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 May 2021, 17:10
An important bit of information came from Lewis during his post qualy ibterveiw: Mercedes compromized qualy to set the the car up for the race so he wasn't happy with the qualy balance at all . If RedBull had done the opposite it should make for an interesting first stint.
I find it weird. I mean, Barcelona is a track where it is super difficult to overtake. Why would yo compromise your qualy set-up,then?
Maybe he just backed himself? Or I guess if he didn’t manage pole he gives himself the best possible chance of clawing it back on the track or in the pit stops.

If he can come off the last corner like he did in Portugal, then overtakes could be on for him.

Jolle
Jolle

McMika98 wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:21
Vasconia wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
Tsunoda has some serious talent but the guy seems to lack patience. Maybe he was too encoured with his first great weekend in F1 and now he thinks that things are easy, they are not. He should be more humble and shut his mouth, these impertinent radios are not a good idea. #-o
Never rated Tsunoda, he is decent but not going to be a top level driver. If he does not get this act together, Albon will replace him in Toro Rosso.
Redbull likes then eager and shouty. Vettel was very cocky when he drove for them and Verstappen made a lot of hates with his “no” antics.
Tost might shake his head when Yuki’s radio messages get bleeped more then not, but Marko must be smiling.

In professional baseball it’s common for the South American & Japanese players to be assigned a translator by the team. The question is translated, they answer in their mother tongue and then it gets translated back. I think AlfaTauri should consider this with TSU as I think he may be getting a bum deal in these interviews.

That being said he’s another one that’s been overhyped.

NathanOlder

McMika98 wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:13
NathanOlder wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:06

Did you miss Perez wreck his first run? did you miss all the front runner unable to improve on their first run (track conditions). So Perez ended up with 1 run, on a slower track. I guess you conveniently missed that.
Leclrec, Ocon went faster than Perez under same condition and track wasn't slower just winds picking up.
Only Leclerc and Alo improved, the rest didn't. Leclerc and Ocon may have gone faster than Perez on that 2nd run but they had the safety of already having put in a lap so could risk more where as Perez had to get a lap in.

The wind picked up, therefore the track conditions changed. The weather is what changes track conditions.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Fnatic1 wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:18
erudite450 wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:06
Fnatic1 wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:00

If the RB was that good (capable for pole), how come that PER is 9 tenths down the road on a track that all drivers know in and out?

Max had a good qualifying session. He improved in every session and didn’t make any mistakes so.

It is just that Merc play the media game that they are lacking performance to Red Bull, while in reality they aren’t .
That argument will no longer fly after Checo beat Verstappen in Imola and almost took pole position.
You can’t make this judgement based on one Q3, where VER even didn’t get a clean lap in (going off track, which is obviously his own fault).

Based on all other qualifying sessions this year, PER consistently lacks a few tenths here and there. It is true that he probably needs more time with the car, but if the car was so dominant he should easily P2 / P3 it every qualifying like Bottas does.
Bottas is a strong qualifier.

Jolle wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:27
McMika98 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Redbull likes then eager and shouty. Vettel was very cocky when he drove for them and Verstappen made a lot of hates with his “no” antics.
Tost might shake his head when Yuki’s radio messages get bleeped more then not, but Marko must be smiling.
You didn’t watch practice, even his engineer was losing patience with him over the radio.

Artur Craft

NathanOlder

McMika98 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
Agree with this. He's looked ok before F1, but nothing more. Redbull tank of young talent is almost bone dry.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

Vasconia wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:16
It depends on what they did exactly, and to what extent they did it. They could be playing with aero balance to protect the front or rears during the race, to make them last longer. They could add downforce to increase speed through the turns, or remove it to increase it on the straits.

considering Lewis was talking about understeer, I assume they took some front wing off, to protect the rears during the race. That would help them extend a stint if needed, or potentially be more aggressive at getting the power down later in a stint.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Jolle
Jolle

214270 wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:30
Jolle wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:27
McMika98 wrote:

You didn’t watch practice, even his engineer was losing patience with him over the radio.
I watched it and indeed, some raised eyebrows. But still… might anger the team or have their heads in their heads from time till time, but somehow the mothership likes those types.

Redbull drivers (apart from Sainz) normally get likes by fans after they switched team. At RedBull they are quite polarising.