2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 May 2021, 23:19
Very intriguing and several possibilities... Let’s the speculation start!

Considering what the announcement said in regards to the news affecting the F1 Team as well as the Mclaren Group in general, I see 2 unlikely but otherwise interesting possibilities:

- Mclaren to aquire the Haas Team, effectively having a B-Team
- Mclaren to have entered a deal with VAG Group (Porsche) to have a works deal starting in 2023... Mclaren automotive

Likely, not as impactful as above, but with very little impact to the F1 team:

- Mclaren to enter WEC starting in 2022, this would be a huge boost for the Mclaren Automotive Group from a promotional stand point.
- Mclaren to buyout AMSP portion of the Indycar Team, making it a full Mclaren Indycar Team
- Mclaren to enter FE

Likely, but with a lesser impact on the Mclaren Group:

- New title sponsor, someone with history with the Team (Vodafone?)

Not desirable:

- The Bahrain fund has sold their stocks on the team to an OEM manufacturer (VAG or BMW), the Mclaren brand to continue to be “independent” and use their own powertrains starting with the new regulations.

For the team to make an announcement of an announcement, it should be something impactful... Although it could be just marketing hype... What I’m afraid of is that there will be a lot of disappointed people on Sunday when the hype doesn’t meet expectations :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Didn’t Haas just strengthen ties with Ferrari, giving them some space at Maranello?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Zak has openly discussed possible entries for Formula E, WEC. They announced an option for FE for a near future season. Personally, I don’t see why there would assemble the written media for that and place an embargo. Where’s Eddie Jordan when you need him?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
11 May 2021, 23:19
Very intriguing and several possibilities... Let’s the speculation start!

Considering what the announcement said in regards to the news affecting the F1 Team as well as the Mclaren Group in general, I see 2 unlikely but otherwise interesting possibilities:

- Mclaren to aquire the Haas Team, effectively having a B-Team
- Mclaren to have entered a deal with VAG Group (Porsche) to have a works deal starting in 2023... Mclaren automotive

Likely, not as impactful as above, but with very little impact to the F1 team:

- Mclaren to enter WEC starting in 2022, this would be a huge boost for the Mclaren Automotive Group from a promotional stand point.
- Mclaren to buyout AMSP portion of the Indycar Team, making it a full Mclaren Indycar Team
- Mclaren to enter FE

Likely, but with a lesser impact on the Mclaren Group:

- New title sponsor, someone with history with the Team (Vodafone?)

Not desirable:

- The Bahrain fund has sold their stocks on the team to an OEM manufacturer (VAG or BMW), the Mclaren brand to continue to be “independent” and use their own powertrains starting with the new regulations.

For the team to make an announcement of an announcement, it should be something impactful... Although it could be just marketing hype... What I’m afraid of is that there will be a lot of disappointed people on Sunday when the hype doesn’t meet expectations :)

Didn’t Haas just strengthen ties with Ferrari, giving them some space at Maranello?
Very valid point! Didn’t consider that... But, they could still run Haas with Ferrari engine / parts (STR used Ferrari engines while RBR was on a Renault engine)... That’s why I said unlikely!

McFAN
McFAN

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thestig84
thestig84

Sunday will be very interesting! My long shot is with no Le Mans / F1 clash this year, Lando DR and Zak to team up in a Mclaren LMGTE :lol:

McFAN
McFAN

I think it might be an IPO
it could bring significant investment into the F1 operation and would be positive for the whole group

Source
https://www.forex.com/en/market-analysi ... Wdq9C0qG7M

On the other hand they probably wouldn't be briefing F1 media the first, + it's not very exciting is it ?
I dunno it's very intriguing

djos

A very good Video from "The Race" today on Danny Ric:

"In downforce we trust"

proteus

I bet they have been taken over by someone. My guess would be some chinese automaker. This would mean "beneficial" for the team and automotive. I doubt it is a sponsor deal and i doubt it is an engine deal, since cars are going electric and Mclaren automotive basically have everything they need to make that step.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Is McLaren going to take part in the 18 inch tyre test?

mythr-ran-dire
mythr-ran-dire

Ground Effect wrote:
12 May 2021, 10:32
Is McLaren going to take part in the 18 inch tyre test?
Yes, iirc they've scheduled one 18" test this year, unlike some of the other teams who are doing them twice or thrice.
]=Do=>}
~~ ]=Do=>}

Wheel-to-wheel

mclaren111

proteus wrote:
12 May 2021, 10:12
I bet they have been taken over by someone. My guess would be some chinese automaker. This would mean "beneficial" for the team and automotive. I doubt it is a sponsor deal and i doubt it is an engine deal, since cars are going electric and Mclaren automotive basically have everything they need to make that step.

God Forbid a Chinese company... :cry: :cry:

proteus

mclaren111 wrote:
12 May 2021, 11:45
proteus wrote:

Right now they are the only ones with cash to burn. Lotus and Volvo are doing pretty well after they were taken over. Mclaren is overall still to its neck in debt.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ripleysend
ripleysend

proteus wrote:
12 May 2021, 11:49
mclaren111 wrote:
12 May 2021, 11:45
proteus wrote:

Right now they are the only ones with cash to burn. Lotus and Volvo are doing pretty well after they were taken over. Mclaren is overall still to its neck in debt.
Ron attempted to arrange an investment for equity deal with at least one Chinese firm but the rest of the Board disagreed. Ultimately a significant contribution to the falling out, among several other issues. Despite these being different times, I'd still be surprised if this were the announcement.

I'm more inclined around the news being a sale / significant investment from VAG. The issue with this is that Automotive has already sunk big money into the next generation road car engine as debuted on the Artura. Again though, different times... so maybe it is a VAG deal.

Could just be a LeMans entry. That would involve the whole group of course.

Balalu
Balalu

You are all wrong. It's all to do with Hakkinen finally ending his sabatical!
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Would a LeMans entry be very, very exciting news, for Jon Noble, F1 editor for Motorsport.com? Personally. I’d be expecting something with more direct relevance to F1 first, then the larger McLaren Group. So, I’m thinking takeover or buy in by a Manufacturer, with implications for 2025.