Self-Repairing Oxetane-Substituted Chitosan Polyurethane Net

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ciro Pabón

Self-Repairing Oxetane-Substituted Chitosan Polyurethane Net

News in Science that caught my eye:

Unlike previous attempts to create self-healing polymers, based on microspheres filled with a bonder, this time Mr. Ghosh and Mr. Urban have discovered a chemical that reacts to mechanical forces.

The idea is that, when scratched, this polymer re-creates chitosan (a common molecule, found in the shells of lobsters and shrimps). It needs ultraviolet light to work its magic. Your car could get a scratch at your parking lot and one hour later you'll find it self-repaired. From the comments I've read, the technology seems promising. The abstract says:
"These materials are capable of repairing themselves in less than an hour and can be used in many coatings applications, ranging from transportation to packaging or fashion and biomedical industries."
Unfortunately, it works only once: repeated scratchs cannot be healed. For a more simple article or if you don't have a Science subscription, you can read Mr. Urban comments here.

As a side note, chitosan is used nowadays as an emergency blood clotting agent, sold as CELOX. According to the description I read, you can create the bandage using grounded shrimp shells and vinegar on top of a regular gaze.

Chitosan bandage
Ciro

Professor
Professor

Re: Self-Repairing Oxetane-Substituted Chitosan Polyurethane Net

Very interesting. I have been given the opportunity to test a type of electrical tape used to repair damaged electrical cable insulation. When wrapped around the cable and stretched to half of its original width, the heat caused by the stretching causes a reaction that makes the individual wraps bond. The effect can be observed visually. Also, when I purposely scuff the tape with a sharp edge, the same thing happens and the split closes.

I have no idea how it works, but my wife is a chemist and she is gonna figure it out and let us know. But, it sounds similar in purpose to the polymers you mention Ciro.

flynfrog

there was an article in composites world a few months back about putting small heating wires in a laminate and using a resin that could re bond its self and long with ways for it so sense damage and then self heal.

Pretty cool stuff

flynfrog