2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrHopsing

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Funny thing is, Norris' both fastest laps last year was in Austria and Turkey. But what he did in the last laps on both Austria races was impressive!

mwillems

Lando Norris, champion of mental health issues says, he has no sympathy for Daniel and his struggles, he chose to move teams, knew what was involved. Life is tough sometimes, I'm not here to make him feel better about himself, so deal with it lol

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-i-don ... n-ferrari/
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
14 May 2021, 20:15
Lando Norris, champion of mental health issues says, he has no sympathy for Daniel and his struggles, he chose to move teams, knew what was involved. Life is tough sometimes, I'm not here to make him feel better about himself, so deal with it lol

Lando needs to learn how to be a bit more diplomatic, he tends to be a bit unrefined. (for lack of a better word) It’s totally possible to not feel sorry for him but also not sound like you’re gloating. I mean he could easily say, “there’s no need for me to feel sorry for him, because he’ll be fine, the team is supporting him and he’s got a lot of experience driving and changing teams etc. I’m looking out for myself cause I’ve got to be prepared and expect him to improve, because I still want to be in front.”

I could be his PA!!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Lando needs to learn how to be a bit more diplomatic, he tends to be a bit unrefined. (for lack of a better word) It’s totally possible to not feel sorry for him but also not sound like you’re gloating. I mean he could easily say, “there’s no need for me to feel sorry for him, because he’ll be fine, the team is supporting him and he’s got a lot of experience driving and changing teams etc. I’m looking out for myself cause I’ve got to be prepared and expect him to improve, because I still want to be in front.”

I could be his PA!!
Lol... I guess people can read into it anyway they want and each individual bias will read it in a different way.

The other thing that happens with this type of “articles” is that the quotes are some times lacking context of the previous questions or what is actually been discussed, therefore making them more “sensational” and click bating.

I don’t see a problem with what he says and has nothing to do with “Mental Health”... If the question is, do you feel sorry for Daniel having a hard time adjusting to the Mclaren due to the change on teams? I would have answered the same way, no I don’t feel sorry for him... Driver’s know that there will be a period of adaptation when changing teams and when they do so when the regulations are stable, they will struggle even more compared to the ones that drove a very similar car the previous year.

On the other hand, the relationship between Lando and Daniel is yet to be build and wouldn’t surprise me for Lando to have his guard a little up right now after how everyone kind of dismiss him before Daniel arrived and expected to be mauled on track by him.

Lando and Daniel definitely don’t have the relationship that Lando and Carlos had, but that one was also build through time, both came to the team at the same time and their personalities may have meshed together faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 May 2021, 20:53
Ground Effect wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I could be his PA!!
Lol... I guess people can read into it anyway they want and each individual bias will read it in a different way.

The other thing that happens with this type of “articles” is that the quotes are some times lacking context of the previous questions or what is actually been discussed, therefore making them more “sensational” and click bating.

I don’t see a problem with what he says and has nothing to do with “Mental Health”... If the question is, do you feel sorry for Daniel having a hard time adjusting to the Mclaren due to the change on teams? I would have answered the same way, no I don’t feel sorry for him... Driver’s know that there will be a period of adaptation when changing teams and when they do so when the regulations are stable, they will struggle even more compared to the ones that drove a very similar car the previous year.

On the other hand, the relationship between Lando and Daniel is yet to be build and wouldn’t surprise me for Lando to have his guard a little up right now after how everyone kind of dismiss him before Daniel arrived and expected to be mauled on track by him.

Lando and Daniel definitely don’t have the relationship that Lando and Carlos had, but that one was also build through time, both came to the team at the same time and their personalities may have meshed together faster.

I get it, this is F1, it’s a tough and ruthless business. Lando isn’t here to babysit Daniel or anybody. But I found some unnecessary statements, which he could have done without saying and still gotten his point across. Did he say anything wrong? Probably not, could he have worded it better, especially as an English speaker? I’d say yes.

He will get there eventually but I don’t have sympathy for someone if they are struggling or finding it tough. That’s just the way it is in life sometimes and I’m sure other drivers are having the same thing.”

I think he could have left out the part in bold, makes it sound like a general statement about his feelings about people who struggle, not just Ricciardo.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

MrGapes wrote:
14 May 2021, 15:44
We qualified 6 tenths of pole last year 😉... oh boy I’m excited
you work for the Mclaren F1 team?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I could be his PA!!

He's not saying anything bad, he's just being blunt and rude, or as some would say, Verstappenesque.

The level of detail for how little he regards Daniels struggles is not needed in my opinion. Not sportsmanlike.

I personally found the comments a little childish and more than anything, if Daniel comes good I suspect he'll be ready to apply the pressure on Lando when Lando is struggling, so not very productive or smart.

But context is king and I dont know if he was misinterpreted.
Last edited by mwillems on 14 May 2021, 23:47, edited 3 times in total.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Manoah2u wrote:
14 May 2021, 22:38
MrGapes wrote:
Part time cheerleader I would guess. Working online due to the pandemic. :lol:

mwillems

Emag wrote:
14 May 2021, 22:50
Manoah2u wrote:
14 May 2021, 22:38
MrGapes wrote:
Part time cheerleader I would guess. Working online due to the pandemic. :lol:
Give me a M... give me a C......

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Manoah2u wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
We qualified 6 tenths of pole last year ... oh boy I’m excited
We are all McLaren! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Ground Effect wrote: Lando needs to learn how to be a bit more diplomatic, he tends to be a bit unrefined. (for lack of a better word) It’s totally possible to not feel sorry for him but also not sound like you’re gloating. I mean he could easily say, “there’s no need for me to feel sorry for him, because he’ll be fine, the team is supporting him and he’s got a lot of experience driving and changing teams etc. I’m looking out for myself cause I’ve got to be prepared and expect him to improve, because I still want to be in front.”

I could be his PA!!

I get it, this is F1, it’s a tough and ruthless business. Lando isn’t here to babysit Daniel or anybody. But I found some unnecessary statements, which he could have done without saying and still gotten his point across. Did he say anything wrong? Probably not, could he have worded it better, especially as an English speaker? I’d say yes.

He will get there eventually but I don’t have sympathy for someone if they are struggling or finding it tough. That’s just the way it is in life sometimes and I’m sure other drivers are having the same thing.”

I think he could have left out the part in bold, makes it sound like a general statement about his feelings about people who struggle, not just Ricciardo.
I can’t argue that... He could have said it differently, he could have meant something else... Or simply, he was caught at a bad time and wasn’t having a good day.

I guess that my only point is that we shouldn’t over analyze everything that driver’s say and if we are going to do it, maybe have the same level of sympathy that we are requesting from him and try to understand why he may have phrase it that way or in which context.

But yes, I guess there is always a better way to say things... It doesn’t change the fact though that he isn’t feeling bad for him and I don’t think he should honestly.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Ground Effect wrote: Lando needs to learn how to be a bit more diplomatic, he tends to be a bit unrefined. (for lack of a better word) It’s totally possible to not feel sorry for him but also not sound like you’re gloating. I mean he could easily say, “there’s no need for me to feel sorry for him, because he’ll be fine, the team is supporting him and he’s got a lot of experience driving and changing teams etc. I’m looking out for myself cause I’ve got to be prepared and expect him to improve, because I still want to be in front.”

I could be his PA!!

He's not saying anything bad, he's just being blunt and rude, or as some would say, Verstappenesque.

The level of detail for how little he regards Daniels struggles is not needed in my opinion. Not sportsmanlike.

I personally found the comments a little childish and more than anything, if Daniel comes good I suspect he'll be ready to apply the pressure on Lando when Lando is struggling, so not very productive or smart.

You're right about perspective, I'm well aware there are many, but I don't see that I shouldn't share mine like you share yours ;)
I’m not disregarding your opinion at all... Everyone has one and everyone is entitled to one.

The one thing in your comment that did caught my attention though is the part regarding Daniel been ready to apply pressure to Lando if he starts struggling... That’s going to happen regardless of what Lando may say.

Your most important rival in F1 is your teammate... You are both in the same car, same resources, etc... That’s the one driver you need to make sure you beat!

Not long ago, we were asking from Lando to be more ruthless, more aggressive (at the track of course), that he was “too nice”... Suddenly he shows a little bit of it (although I still don’t think his answer was aggressive) and now we are criticizing it.

In regards to the comment been childish... It’s your opinion, no arguing there... But let’s keep in mind that he is indeed still a kid (22 years old)... I can’t fathom having to be super careful about everything I said and having every statement scrutinized while I was that age... Hell, I’m twice his age and still struggle when I have had to make public statements making sure that they are politically correct.

Finally, I’m sure that if the same question would be asked around the paddock, unless it is a “veteran” speaking about a “rookie”, most would answer the same way... Lewis isn’t sorry for Bottas and his struggles, Max wasn’t sorry for Gasly or Albon and so on... If there is one thing that I take from Lando’s comments is that he not only respects Daniel, but that he acknowledges that Daniel may have the upper hand on him and he (Lando) is the underdog in this fight.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 May 2021, 23:51
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

You're right about perspective, I'm well aware there are many, but I don't see that I shouldn't share mine like you share yours ;)
I’m not disregarding your opinion at all... Everyone has one and everyone is entitled to one.

The one thing in your comment that did caught my attention though is the part regarding Daniel been ready to apply pressure to Lando if he starts struggling... That’s going to happen regardless of what Lando may say.

Your most important rival in F1 is your teammate... You are both in the same car, same resources, etc... That’s the one driver you need to make sure you beat!

Not long ago, we were asking from Lando to be more ruthless, more aggressive (at the track of course), that he was “too nice”... Suddenly he shows a little bit of it (although I still don’t think his answer was aggressive) and now we are criticizing it.

In regards to the comment been childish... It’s your opinion, no arguing there... But let’s keep in mind that he is indeed still a kid (22 years old)... I can’t fathom having to be super careful about everything I said and having every statement scrutinized while I was that age... Hell, I’m twice his age and still struggle when I have had to make public statements making sure that they are politically correct.

Finally, I’m sure that if the same question would be asked around the paddock, unless it is a “veteran” speaking about a “rookie”, most would answer the same way... Lewis isn’t sorry for Bottas and his struggles, Max wasn’t sorry for Gasly or Albon and so on... If there is one thing that I take from Lando’s comments is that he not only respects Daniel, but that he acknowledges that Daniel may have the upper hand on him and he (Lando) is the underdog in this fight.

You're right, I do want to see that on the track. I respect Max, but he appears to be a complete d*ck of person when interviewed. With respects to the other drivers, I'm sure they weren't sorry, but you don't see them rubbing it in like that unless there is bad blood. Hamilton on the other hand is extremely graceful in his dominance.

I do indeed want elbows and aggression and I want to see a more aggressive Lando, but yeah I feel this was poorly judged, obnoxious and more likely to come and bite Lando on the bum than it will do anything to help him. I don't think you need to be obnoxious to be ruthless. Hamilton is ruthless, utterly ruthless on the track, so you don't need that kind of voice to have aggression.

He is 22 and still a kid. Surrounded by media folks to advise him, coached on how to speak to the press... but what jus elevates it is that it is so out of character for him and also given his recent strong support of Mind, it just feels out of kilter and hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote: He's not saying anything bad, he's just being blunt and rude, or as some would say, Verstappenesque.

You're right, I do want to see that on the track. I respect Max, but he appears to be a complete d*ck of person when interviewed. With respects to the other drivers, I'm sure they weren't sorry, but you don't see them rubbing it in like that unless there is bad blood. Hamilton on the other hand is extremely graceful in his dominance.

I do indeed want elbows and aggression and I want to see a more aggressive Lando, but yeah I feel this was poorly judged, obnoxious and more likely to come and bite Lando on the bum than it will do anything to help him. I don't think you need to be obnoxious to be ruthless. Hamilton is ruthless, utterly ruthless on the track, so you don't need that kind of voice to have aggression.

He is 22 and still a kid. Surrounded by media folks to advise him, coached on how to speak to the press... but what jus elevates it is that it is so out of character for him and also given his recent strong support of Mind, it just feels out of kilter and hope it isn't a sign of things to come.
I guess that been one of the veterans in the sport, a 7 time world champion, current holder of the record for pole positions and wins, in the most dominant car of recent history, with a teammate that hasn’t been able to really bring the fight to you and if not consider the GOAT, most will put you at least in the list of one of them and with probably a few more seasons left in the sport... Makes it a little bit easier to be gracious :)

I honestly can’t remember Hamilton’s interviews when he was coming into the sport and at a similar age to compare.

But, I don’t think it will come back to “bite him”, in a few weeks no one will remember this particular interview or what he said.

And I can’t see the relationship between this situation and his involvement with Mind, this is a question in regards to your teammate struggling because he changed cars and is having a hard time adapting to the new drive... Trying to correlate it to Mental Health issues is just trying to find something to criticize him for, but is just my opinion though :)

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 May 2021, 00:33
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I guess that been one of the veterans in the sport, a 7 time world champion, current holder of the record for pole positions and wins, in the most dominant car of recent history, with a teammate that hasn’t been able to really bring the fight to you and if not consider the GOAT, most will put you at least in the list of one of them and with probably a few more seasons left in the sport... Makes it a little bit easier to be gracious :)

I honestly can’t remember Hamilton’s interviews when he was coming into the sport and at a similar age to compare.

But, I don’t think it will come back to “bite him”, in a few weeks no one will remember this particular interview or what he said.

And I can’t see the relationship between this situation and his involvement with Mind, this is a question in regards to your teammate struggling because he changed cars and is having a hard time adapting to the new drive... Trying to correlate it to Mental Health issues is just trying to find something to criticize him for, but is just my opinion though :)

I can. He talks about the toils of pressure, respect for people and then shows no regard for it. It's not the end of the world by any stretch, but it certainly was lacking intelligence and respect.

I also highly doubt Daniel will forget those kinds of remarks (which dosn't mean he won't choose not to rise to them). Daniel has a ruthless edge too, he just manages to do it with humour and cheekiness. No world titles to give him that grace, just sportsmanship in a hard fought competitor.

-Bandit