2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Emag wrote:
20 May 2021, 15:44
Ferrari is looking amazing around here.
yeah not too surprising to be honest... looking at the mini sectors of slow speed corners in the last races ferrari have been the fastest... I think this weekend is bit of damage control

MrGapes

Although I think it has to be said considering the slow speed weakness of the car from previous years, it has certainly improved a lot..

genarro
genarro

Ferrari 1 & 2 in the end.. They realy have a good chassis...

_cerber1

genarro
genarro

So the pole was 1.10.166 in 2019. Given that the 2021 cars are based on last years car and last years cars were faster than 2019 car than we should see more time gains from the others..

Emag
Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
20 May 2021, 16:20
Yeah, but depends on what the expectations were. It very well may be that McLaren expected Ferrari to mix in with the top here, so their predictions are based on that assumption.

Nevertheless, I expected Ferrari to be stronger here, but not this strong. I have been surprised with their pace so far. It's still FP2 and the session was a bit of a mess regarding traffic, but they still looked strong.

Kind of a shame that Ricciardo is struggling hard in this track. I was hoping that maybe after Barcelona he found a bit of a sweet spot with the car, but Monaco is Monaco. It is probably challenging his confidence more than any other track so far. Hopefully he turns it around come Saturday. We need both cars in the points to minimize the damage if Ferrari pick up a huge haul of points here.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Like I said with the people saying Ric was gonna be a whizz here - he's not adapted to the car fully yet and he's still struggling with rear instability even with the brake change - Monaco is a track where you need absolute faith, you're going to see him and the rest that moved teams struggle a bit here, but Danny especially, unfortunately.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:Like I said with the people saying Ric was gonna be a whizz here - he's not adapted to the car fully yet and he's still struggling with rear instability even with the brake change - Monaco is a track where you need absolute faith, you're going to see him and the rest that moved teams struggle a bit here, but Danny especially, unfortunately.
Agreed that this is a track that punishes lack of trust in the car or simply been comfortable with it... But, it’s interesting to note how well Carlos on the other hand seems to have adapted to Ferrari.

Daniel is definitely a fast driver and he will soon be able to show it on track, maybe it’s a good thing that we can get this difficult tracks (either due to layout or familiarity) behind him early in the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wowgr8
wowgr8

Wouldn't you want his strong tracks to come now so he can get solid results whilst still adapting to the car then have his weak tracks come later on in the year when he has more confidence and speed in the car?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

wowgr8 wrote:Wouldn't you want his strong tracks to come now so he can get solid results whilst still adapting to the car then have his weak tracks come later on in the year when he has more confidence and speed in the car?
I guess it depends on the overall goal... If he was going to struggle at the beginning of the season regardless of the track (struggle based on his optimal potential)... Wouldn’t he be able to maximize his results (points) at tracks that he is familiar with? If that’s the case, I much rather have him close to 100% for those tracks where he can maximize his results instead of minimizing the impact at those.

BosF1
BosF1

djos wrote:
20 May 2021, 09:47
I fully expect Daniel to dominate Lando here. Lando has been here only once in an F1 car and Daniel has won the race and been on the podium multiple times. He just loves the track too.
Yeah.. after the first two practice sessions I don't think this is going to happen.

Macklaren
Macklaren

CjC
CjC

A typical day for us Mclaren fans if you ask me.
Very happy to see Lando so close to the Mercs and Bulls👍🏻 But there’s that fly in the ointment again... our main competitors are even further ahead in-front of the top 2 teams🙄🙈
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
20 May 2021, 20:28
A typical day for us Mclaren fans if you ask me.
Very happy to see Lando so close to the Mercs and Bulls👍🏻 But there’s that fly in the ointment again... our main competitors are even further ahead in-front of the top 2 teams🙄🙈
I guess overall they’re pleased with the gap at this stage of the weekend, as they usually find more performance by Saturday. I think they were still tinkering with setup today, hopefully Saturday will be better.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:A typical day for us Mclaren fans if you ask me.
Very happy to see Lando so close to the Mercs and Bulls But there’s that fly in the ointment again... our main competitors are even further ahead in-front of the top 2 teams
Luckily Monaco isn’t a representative track, therefore with more tracks that suit the strengths of the MCL35M instead of placing emphasis on it’s weaknesses, there will be plenty of time to recover any lost ground at Monaco if the performance delta between the teams stays the same.