2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Interesting that Binotto has confirmed Ferrari have a flexi rear wing, that should bring them back closer to or even behind Mclaren from the French GP onwards, a circuit that should favour Mclaren regardless👍🏻🤞🏻
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
20 May 2021, 22:45
Interesting that Binotto has confirmed Ferrari have a flexi rear wing, that should bring them back closer to or even behind Mclaren from the French GP onwards, a circuit that should favour Mclaren regardless👍🏻🤞🏻
Isn't there footage of on the car thread of the Mclaren wing also flexing?

I'm not sure if we do it more or less than Ferrari, but it certainly appeared as if it were flexing.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

elldizzle
elldizzle

Mixed feelings from today, Lando looked good and about where I thought the car would be. Ferrari are the outlier. Looks like this track definitely plays into their strengths, low speed corners and low power requirements. Basically the opposite of Mclaren, haha. There is talk that Ferrari use more engine mode and run less fuel than others. But still very good. I feel from this season and comments from the team, that we run lower engine modes than other merc runners on Friday. You can see this, this season so far in that we've been off the pace on a Friday(Thursday in this case) only to close it right up on a Saturday.

Macklaren
Macklaren

mwillems wrote:
20 May 2021, 22:50
CjC wrote:

I'm not sure if we do it more or less than Ferrari, but it certainly appeared as if it were flexing.
With Andreas leading the charge to bring the tougher wing tests forward, pretty safe to say that McLarens wing doesn't bend (I have seen the video as well though)

djos

BosF1 wrote:
20 May 2021, 19:20
djos wrote:
20 May 2021, 09:47
I fully expect Daniel to dominate Lando here. Lando has been here only once in an F1 car and Daniel has won the race and been on the podium multiple times. He just loves the track too.
Yeah.. after the first two practice sessions I don't think this is going to happen.
Doesn’t like that way does it. The real test will be qualifying.

Btw Daniel got impeded in FP2 by Vettel and Leclerc and was pretty frustrated on the radio.
"In downforce we trust"

radosav
radosav

djos wrote:
21 May 2021, 04:37
BosF1 wrote:
20 May 2021, 19:20
djos wrote:
20 May 2021, 09:47
I fully expect Daniel to dominate Lando here. Lando has been here only once in an F1 car and Daniel has won the race and been on the podium multiple times. He just loves the track too.
Yeah.. after the first two practice sessions I don't think this is going to happen.
Doesn’t like that way does it. The real test will be qualifying.

Btw Daniel got impeded in FP2 by Vettel and Leclerc and was pretty frustrated on the radio.
Daniel said after thursday practices that car is too sensitive and he felt the laps were good initialy but at the end of lap his engineer would say that they are P13 or something like that and he needs to find more pace

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
21 May 2021, 01:57
mwillems wrote:
CjC wrote:

With Andreas leading the charge to bring the tougher wing tests forward, pretty safe to say that McLarens wing doesn't bend (I have seen the video as well though)
I suppose it can still bend, it just needs to pass the new load tests.

There's clear movement in the wing, but perhaps this amount is acceptable.

The Merc appears to move the least with Mclaren a little bit more.

I haven't seen how much the Ferrari bends but hopefully this will allow us to claw some time back.

-Bandit

adrianjordan

mwillems wrote:
21 May 2021, 09:14
Macklaren wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I haven't seen how much the Ferrari bends but hopefully this will allow us to claw some time back.
With the FIA saying they'll use video footage and talking about zero tolerance, I suspect any movement will be too much and the load tests will be more about safety than anything else once the video monitoring is worked out.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mwillems

adrianjordan wrote:
21 May 2021, 11:06
mwillems wrote:
21 May 2021, 09:14
Macklaren wrote:

With the FIA saying they'll use video footage and talking about zero tolerance, I suspect any movement will be too much and the load tests will be more about safety than anything else once the video monitoring is worked out.
I think the bodywork will bend a little anyway, from what I read the FIA will make a call as to whether it is organic or engineered in.

-Bandit

MrGapes

Interesting stuff out about potential protest regarding the flexi rear wings - since Andreas has been quite vocal about the illegality of the rear wings...could we see McLaren also possibly protest Ferrari etc. for the Baku race if the test isn’t moved forward..

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:Interesting stuff out about potential protest regarding the flexi rear wings - since Andreas has been quite vocal about the illegality of the rear wings...could we see McLaren also possibly protest Ferrari etc. for the Baku race if the test isn’t moved forward..
It would be the smart move... Not a lot to lose if they do and potential points to be gained if they do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 May 2021, 15:59
MrGapes wrote:Interesting stuff out about potential protest regarding the flexi rear wings - since Andreas has been quite vocal about the illegality of the rear wings...could we see McLaren also possibly protest Ferrari etc. for the Baku race if the test isn’t moved forward..
It would be the smart move... Not a lot to lose if they do and potential points to be gained if they do

I fail to see how a protest could succeed

As long as the car passes the test in place at the time then it’s legal

When the FIA choose to implement a beefed up test is up to them, but until they do there is nothing that can be done about it

MrGapes

the EDGE wrote:
21 May 2021, 16:03
SmallSoldier wrote:

When the FIA choose to implement a beefed up test is up to them, but until they do there is nothing that can be done about it
Yeah although excessive rear wing bend would still be evident in onboard cameras, if they protest Baku, I’m sure the focus would be on the legality of the rear wing run in that race, rather than what they would bring to the French gp to be tested by the FIA

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Well, without trying to go way off-topic on the Team Thread (there is plenty of debate already going on in the Flexi Wing thread)... Mclaren can protest the wings even when they are passing the tests.

There are a few points that make the probability of success from a protest high:

- There is Precedent: In 2014 Red Bull was disqualified from Qualifying at the Abu Dhabi race due to Flexible Front Wings, the wings passed every test in place at the time, but where deem illegal, regardless of the fact that they passed the test.

- The Test is not a Rule: The rule is that bodywork has to be “rigid” and with no degree of motion... That’s the rule... The test is intended to ensure that is the case, but the fact that the test may not catch the type of movement (rotation) and that the loads used may not be representative, doesn’t mean that the rule in regards to movable parts / aero isn’t violated.

- The rule allows flexibility but also determines degree of motion: If I’m not wrong, the rules do allow for certain flexibility since the parts can’t be infinitely rigid, but they do mention 1 degree of motion... Is the movement of the Red Bull more than 1 degree? That’s something that we don’t know and can’t accurately measure just based on the footage.

That’s why during the press conference yesterday, Wolf made a comment of the matter going all the way to the ICA and it could very well be the case... If Mclaren is very certain that their wing adheres to the rules, they can protest their rivals wings (at which point is the duty of the rivals to proof that their wings are in fact legal)... For Mclaren is a win-win situation if they protest:

A) If the wings are deemed legal and no further action is taken, they have disrupted their rivals, forced them to use resources to proof that their wings are legal.

B) If the wings are deemed illegal and penalties are applied, it helps in the constructors championship

I don’t see how a potential protest would be detrimental for the team.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Anecdotal for the team... The Gulf livery reveal planning started as soon as the Gulf partnership was announced... Roughly 9 months of work until it was made public... Quiet a lot of work for something that sounds pretty easy to pull off:

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/mon ... ry-design/