2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Perhaps the Ferrari drivers might screw up the qualifying. You never know.

Never expected to have so much of a disadvantage here.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Ricciardo being taught a lesson by Norris this year. He has quite the opinion of himself so maybe this was needed. All credit to Norris though. I’m they will get closer as season goes on

Darth-Piekus

The question is how much time will he need to get to Norris's level? We are fighting a championship for 3rd and we need him to be at least 1 tenth apart not 1 second. We lost plenty of points due to drivers being that far apart in the first 4 rounds.

Let's hope both Mercedes and Red Bulls open up their engines to full and get the first 4 places so we can at least be behind the two Ferraris.

Emag
Emag

Honestly, I never expected Ricciardo to struggle this much. I remember he wasn't on it with Renault back in 2019, but he was never too far off Hulk. And when he got on top of it he was amazing. Especially last year, Daniel was really showing his class. It's annoying that he is finding this car so uncomfortable to drive because Lando is showing it has great potential.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Unfortunate they lost Sainz really, Sainz and Norris are far better drivers than most gave them credit for, I wouldn't have put anyone bar Max or Lewis in the seat that Sainz had, given the option.

toraabe
toraabe

Emag wrote:
22 May 2021, 15:01
Honestly, I never expected Ricciardo to struggle this much. I remember he wasn't on it with Renault back in 2019, but he was never too far off Hulk. And when he got on top of it he was amazing. Especially last year, Daniel was really showing his class. It's annoying that he is finding this car so uncomfortable to drive because Lando is showing it has great potential.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.essent ... rated/amp/

He seems not yet being used to the Mercedes Engine. Being used to Renault engine for the last years it seems to be quite different..

MrGapes

Lando has some pace jeez

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando pulling an amazing lap out of nowhere in Q1... Wow!

RIC will need another attempt to be safe... The track evolution is pretty big.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Both cars should be in Q2... First milestone of the weekend achieved!

Darth-Piekus

I wonder how better the car could have been had we been allowed to do full changes to that engine part and not partly changes due to restrictions. If Monaco is representative of a car's aerodynamics then Mclaren is very close to the top teams.

Also I don't see why Danny is struggling with the Mercedes Engine that much. Lando doesn't have that problem.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

It’s fair to say that the low speed performance has improved when you look at Barcelona S3 and around here. Encouraging signs

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2021, 15:18
I wonder how better the car could have been had we been allowed to do full changes to that engine part and not partly changes due to restrictions. If Monaco is representative of a car's aerodynamics then Mclaren is very close to the top teams.

Also I don't see why Danny is struggling with the Mercedes Engine that much. Lando doesn't have that problem.
Lando has had a years experience with the know how of the Mercedes engines work....

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:Unfortunate they lost Sainz really, Sainz and Norris are far better drivers than most gave them credit for, I wouldn't have put anyone bar Max or Lewis in the seat that Sainz had, given the option.
Sainz is pretty underrated... He showed speed all the way back to his days in STR and both him and Lando were going a great job with both the MCL34 and MCL35.

Which also shows how good Lando was on those seasons too considering that he was a rookie.

Agreed that losing Sainz wasn’t ideal, but it is still to be seeing if Daniel isn’t a great replacement, he is struggling, but we can’t deny his speed either... I’m just hoping that it doesn’t take too much longer for him to get to grips with the car.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Lando has that "looks easy" day so far. Last time it looked like this was in Imola where he almost put it on pole (by a tenth and by a few inches).

MrGapes

ScottR267 wrote:
22 May 2021, 15:20
Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2021, 15:18

Lando has had a years experience with the know how of the Mercedes engines work....
what when?