2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Seerix
Seerix

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Daniel started his proper final Q2 lap and finished it as well. There was no problem.
Lando managed a great lap I feel, and maximized the car's potential today. He did not have tyres, so he went long on his last set in Q3.

Emag
Emag

If they finish like this tomorrow, Ferrari jumps up 22 points ahead in the constructors. It seems like a lot, but it is recoverable if McLaren delivers on tracks that are favorable.

Today might be disappointing but honestly, 0.27 off pole in a track that is the literal embodiment of this car's weakness is a great silver lining. I can't wait to see what they do on more favorable tracks.

Sucks for Danny Ricc though. I refuse to believe this is the best he has in him. I have seen too many good races from Daniel to write him off. I am still hopeful he will eventually bounce back.

chrisgr
chrisgr

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:11

This is a track team expected to struggle heavily. It's amazing to see that even on such tracks, the car is up there!
The team expected to struggle here but I am sure they didnt expect Ferrari to be that strong. So maybe Ricciardo on hards and expect an incident.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:01
Great job by Lando, no doubt... only a couple of thousands from P3 on a track that isn’t the best for the car, it’s simply amazing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ll second that
Bravo Lando and I also liked how he and the team ran a long run plan in Q3. 6 laps in total
That was something that caught my attention too... The amount of laps to get the lap time... That kid is fast though, Dani is showing that is not the easiest car to drive and to put it on P5 in the slowest track of the season it’s amazing and bodes well for the rest of the season, we shouldn’t be afraid of Hungary anymore!

BosF1
BosF1

Macklaren wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:08
In hindsight, with the red flag, their strategy worked out but Lando has not done a proper run at the end of Q3 for several races now.

My execution comment was more about Daniel not getting to start his final Q2 lap for the second time this season
Ricciardo did start his final Q2 lap and improved his time as well. Not getting into Q3 wasn't a team execution failure, but unfortunately solely because of a lack of speed of the driver this time. Hopefully Danny will catch up to Lando's performance soon!

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

That lap was pretty close to the maximum you can get out of the MCL35M. Even Lando on team stream knew instantly it wasn’t going to get much better. Shame it’s such a small margin to p2/p3 but come on. I didn’t feel like this track would work for the car. And I honestly thought quali would be around p10. So I’m delighted to see the progress made with the car this year. Getting more and more hyped for ‘22

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:In hindsight, with the red flag, their strategy worked out but Lando has not done a proper run at the end of Q3 for several races now.

My execution comment was more about Daniel not getting to start his final Q2 lap for the second time this season
He didn’t do a proper run in Q3? He was a couple tenths from pole in a car that doesn’t like slow corners, out qualified his team mate by a country mile and he didn’t do a good job?

I believe he is doing a fantastic job, Imola he could have started P3 if not for a few centimeters, the team didn’t place him well at Portimao for his final run and had some damage at Spain, all considered I believe he is delivering.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Seerix wrote:Daniel started his proper final Q2 lap and finished it as well. There was no problem.
Lando managed a great lap I feel, and maximized the car's potential today. He did not have tyres, so he went long on his last set in Q3.
I believe he had 2 sets of tires for Q3... He only used on set in Q1

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:02
Is it bad that I am hoping for a gearbox change in Charles's car?

Absolutely Not... :D :D

Darth-Piekus

Now a question for the masses. Do you think Lando can score a pole or a victory this year? Are we gonna have a chance?

McL-H
McL-H

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:17
Macklaren wrote:In hindsight, with the red flag, their strategy worked out but Lando has not done a proper run at the end of Q3 for several races now.

He didn’t do a proper run in Q3? He was a couple tenths from pole in a car that doesn’t like slow corners, out qualified his team mate by a country mile and he didn’t do a good job?

I believe he is doing a fantastic job, Imola he could have started P3 if not for a few centimeters, the team didn’t place him well at Portimao for his final run and had some damage at Spain, all considered I believe he is delivering.

I agree. Lando is having a fantastic season. Apart from Spain, he is delivering. Just wished we still had Sainz in the other car.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Lando is doing great. Ricciardo needs to step up.

Btw I think F1 should adopt IndyCar style of deleting laptimes if you cause a yellow/red. This crash could have been intentional. Hard to prove it but with laptime deletion no one would do it.
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:19
Seerix wrote:Daniel started his proper final Q2 lap and finished it as well. There was no problem.

He has second set but chose used tyres for the last run. He said "I don't think it's a first lap tyre. Let's stay out on this tyre.".

This means his last run was on a third fast lap for that tyre, it's probably why he didn't do a second fast lap at the end of Q3. I wonder if he made a mistake, without red flag he would have had one more lap.

Darth-Piekus

All I can say is this year looks like 1997. The car is 3rd to 4th best, has the ability to grab a pole or a victory, we have James Key who people compare to Andrian Newey which ironically joined the team the year before and next year just like in 1998 it's gonna be a full reset. If things go as planned James Key can produce a rocket that might destroy the competition. I don't think we will lap everyone on Australia but I am so hyped for 2022.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:Lando is doing great. Ricciardo needs to step up.

Btw I think F1 should adopt IndyCar style of deleting laptimes if you cause a yellow/red. This crash could have been intentional. Hard to prove it but with laptime deletion no one would do it.
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:19

He has second set but chose used tyres for the last run. He said "I don't think it's a first lap tyre. Let's stay out on this tyre.".

This means his last run was on a third fast lap for that tyre, it's probably why he didn't do a second fast lap at the end of Q3. I wonder if he made a mistake, without red flag he would have had one more lap.
Thanks! Wasn’t aware of that (used tires on his final run)... But, with how he was driving, I trust his judgement :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:24
All I can say is this year looks like 1997. The car is 3rd to 4th best, has the ability to grab a pole or a victory, we have James Key who people compare to Andrian Newey which ironically joined the team the year before and next year just like in 1998 it's gonna be a full reset. If things go as planned James Key can produce a rocket that might destroy the competition. I don't think we will lap everyone on Australia but I am so hyped for 2022.
Honestly I would prefer to stay on these rules. Team is much closer to the top teams than previous years and each year they close the gap. New rules can throw everything off. McLaren might end up at the top or bottom.