2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:28
Thanks! Wasn’t aware of that (used tires on his final run)... But, with how he was driving, I trust his judgement :)
In Q1 or Q2 he did his fastest time on the third fast lap on a tyre.

Darth-Piekus

FittingMechanics wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:24
All I can say is this year looks like 1997. The car is 3rd to 4th best, has the ability to grab a pole or a victory, we have James Key who people compare to Andrian Newey which ironically joined the team the year before and next year just like in 1998 it's gonna be a full reset. If things go as planned James Key can produce a rocket that might destroy the competition. I don't think we will lap everyone on Australia but I am so hyped for 2022.
Honestly I would prefer to stay on these rules. Team is much closer to the top teams than previous years and each year they close the gap. New rules can throw everything off. McLaren might end up at the top or bottom.
I think that Zak Brown has set up a fantastic team and I trust them to do a good job this time.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:30
FittingMechanics wrote:

Honestly I would prefer to stay on these rules. Team is much closer to the top teams than previous years and each year they close the gap. New rules can throw everything off. McLaren might end up at the top or bottom.
I think that Zak Brown has set up a fantastic team and I trust them to do a good job this time.
All points to that - the momentum is really. Hopefully the team makes the next step next year.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

What I’m wondering after qualifying is if the team may have found something at Monaco in terms of setup... It is definitely a unique track that requires a unique setup (pretty soft suspension to ride the numbs and kerbs)... But the improvement in an slow track is impressive... As a reference the pole lap in 2019 was 1:10.16 and McLaren’s best lap time was 1:11.4... This season pole was 1:10.3 (2 tenths slower) and Lando’s time was 1:10.6... That’s a massive improvement on a car that is supposed to be slower due to the change on regulations for the floors.

Maybe I’m over thinking it, but if the team has found something setup wise that allows more performance in slow corners, it could bode really well for the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMika98
McMika98

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:20
Now a question for the masses. Do you think Lando can score a pole or a victory this year? Are we gonna have a chance?
Best chance is next couple of races. Baku is a weird track with winds and temp fluctuation. Merc will struggle with tyre temp.

Darth-Piekus

What about Monza?

Seerix
Seerix

SmallSoldier wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:Lando is doing great. Ricciardo needs to step up.

Btw I think F1 should adopt IndyCar style of deleting laptimes if you cause a yellow/red. This crash could have been intentional. Hard to prove it but with laptime deletion no one would do it.
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:19

I believe he had 2 sets of tires for Q3... He only used on set in Q1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He has second set but chose used tyres for the last run. He said "I don't think it's a first lap tyre. Let's stay out on this tyre.".

This means his last run was on a third fast lap for that tyre, it's probably why he didn't do a second fast lap at the end of Q3. I wonder if he made a mistake, without red flag he would have had one more lap.
Thanks! Wasn’t aware of that (used tires on his final run)... But, with how he was driving, I trust his judgement :)

Lando's q3 run:
outlap - new tyres
fast lap - caught perez in last sector and aborted
warmup lap - lando declined new set of tyres and chose to continue on used set
fast lap
planned inlap - decided to continue on same used set again and stayed out
fast lap - this is the good one, so close to guys ahead!
inlap - box and lando goes out of car, probably not enough fuel/tyre life for another fast lap

MrGapes

Paul Ricard Pole for Lando... is a great chance

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:35
What I’m wondering after qualifying is if the team may have found something at Monaco in terms of setup... It is definitely a unique track that requires a unique setup (pretty soft suspension to ride the numbs and kerbs)... But the improvement in an slow track is impressive... As a reference the pole lap in 2019 was 1:10.16 and McLaren’s best lap time was 1:11.4... This season pole was 1:10.3 (2 tenths slower) and Lando’s time was 1:10.6... That’s a massive improvement on a car that is supposed to be slower due to the change on regulations for the floors.

Maybe I’m over thinking it, but if the team has found something setup wise that allows more performance in slow corners, it could bode really well for the rest of the season.

Lando said prior to the event and I even think you picked up on it that the car was set up for sectors 1&2 at Barcelona and sector 3 was a compromise.
Mclaren must feel there’s more laptime to be had concerning themselves with the high speed aspects of the conventional circuits but when they solely focus on the low speed aspect they aren’t as far off as we thought👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:

They were being very coy in the build up to Monaco, not as downbeat as you’d expect coming to one of their weakest tracks. I get the feeling they’ve found something with the upgrades. By the time it’s fully understood, Hungary and Singapore could be a lot less difficult.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:39
What about Monza?
That’s going to be a mega quali, there will be quite a few drivers and teams eyeing pole up there.
Verstappen with his more powerful Honda.
Mercedes are always good
Mclaren now have a Mercedes PU and as they had a great result with the Renault last season one would assume they could expect more.
The fact Gasly won the race will give Alpha Tauri hope.
And as it’s another outlier of a circuit like Monaco- so Ferrari will fancy an outside chance too.
Bring it on👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Lando said prior to the event and I even think you picked up on it that the car was set up for sectors 1&2 at Barcelona and sector 3 was a compromise.
Mclaren must feel there’s more laptime to be had concerning themselves with the high speed aspects of the conventional circuits but when they solely focus on the low speed aspect they aren’t as far off as we thought
Definitely, at the end is all about compromise and they will set it up for the fastest possible lap time, but the team seems to be still learning about the car and the new “toys”... Not only did bring a new package to Spain that is probably still in the dialing in phase, but they also have a new differential (wondering if it’s the same as the one used by Mercedes) that they might still be trying to fully understand and know when and how to deploy.

bauc

Great lap by NOR, this track does not suit our car so to be P5 tomorrow is great. RIC need's to step up his game ASAP, but I'm sure he will be in the fight for P7 or P8 tomorrow.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

They were being very coy in the build up to Monaco, not as downbeat as you’d expect coming to one of their weakest tracks. I get the feeling they’ve found something with the upgrades. By the time it’s fully understood, Hungary and Singapore could be a lot less difficult.
That’s the same thing I’m hoping!

The best thing about this year so far is that even when there is still a big gap to the front (we can’t forget how far we were from Hamilton and Verstappen at Spain during the race or the fact that we couldn’t hold back Perez in the RBR)... The team is placing themselves in a nice position to take advantage of the opportunities ahead.

How times have changed! From hoping for carnage in front of us to get some points to hoping for carnage in front of us for potential podiums :)

JordanMugen

chrisgr wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:13
FittingMechanics wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:11

This is a track team expected to struggle heavily. It's amazing to see that even on such tracks, the car is up there!
The team expected to struggle here but I am sure they didnt expect Ferrari to be that strong. So maybe Ricciardo on hards and expect an incident.
Yes, go as long as possible and hope for a free tyre change under a red flag. I suspect everyone outside of the top 10 will try that in fact?

Do you really need to start on hards to do that? You could start on mediums even?