2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

godlameroso wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:23
Riccardo's only hope is to start on hards and push for an overcut.
If he was P11 that would have been even better, now P12 is almost 99% P13 due to the nature of the start finish straight in Monaco and the tight first right corner where all cars that start on the left side of the grid have huge advantage compared to the right hand side cars who are pushed to brake early and carry less speed to the first corner. So if he ends up p13 after the first corner it would be super hard to make that strategy work.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

godlameroso

bauc wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:36
godlameroso wrote:
If he was P11 that would have been even better, now P12 is almost 99% P13 due to the nature of the start finish straight in Monaco and the tight first right corner where all cars that start on the left side of the grid have huge advantage compared to the right hand side cars who are pushed to brake early and carry less speed to the first corner. So if he ends up p13 after the first corner it would be super hard to make that strategy work.
What?! You underestimate Mr overtake on the outside. How many times have we seen Riccardo do those swift overtakes. He can still bag decent points. It's a special circuit and it's about limiting the pain, next race in Baku McLaren will be able to exploit its slipperiness and good braking potential, and corner exits.

Look at it long term, it's about limiting the pain and maximizing the good times. Take them as they come, boxing is 12 rounds, the F1 season is twice that, and the energy expenditure is several orders of magnitude higher.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

Never in a Mclaren that he can't get the braking and corner entry right on yet. Especially not at Monaco

bauc

godlameroso wrote:
22 May 2021, 22:07
bauc wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:36
godlameroso wrote:
What?! You underestimate Mr overtake on the outside. How many times have we seen Riccardo do those swift overtakes. He can still bag decent points. It's a special circuit and it's about limiting the pain, next race in Baku McLaren will be able to exploit its slipperiness and good braking potential, and corner exits.

Look at it long term, it's about limiting the pain and maximizing the good times. Take them as they come, boxing is 12 rounds, the F1 season is twice that, and the energy expenditure is several orders of magnitude higher.
I'm not underestimating his ability, this is Monaco, and row 6 is like row 12 on another track but with no space to overtake....I hope he proves me wrong tomorrow.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

JordanMugen wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 19:44
Lando’s fastest lap from Qualifying... the half a tenth was there with a tiny bit of luck:

https://streamable.com/hly65c
Do you have Ricciardo's lap? I would be interested to compare.

It could be as simple as the McLaren being an "early braking" car, so Ricciardo needing to completely reverse his late braking driving style is proving very difficult?

From the above lap, Norris does seem to brake very early, be already off the brake at the apex, and then be on the throttle very early. However I could just be saying that, as that is what I am expecting to see!

If Norris is indeed driving as the car requires, then Ricciardo trying to brake late and carry the brake to apex (and then be far too slow to get on the throttle) is understandably proving to be a disaster. :oops:

Could a simple change of differential improve this? Or is it an aerodynamic or suspension kinematics issue? :?:

The car enjoys throttle while turning (and excels when you maximise getting on the throttle early while still turning), but strongly rejects braking while turning and requires straight-line braking only? As Rosberg explains in his track notes -- almost all the major braking zones at Monaco occur on (slight) curves, so that could be why Monaco is particularly disastrous for Ricciardo?

Again I crossed the line and I was like, 'Maybe I'm a tenth or two off,' but when I heard these gaps, that's when I was like, 'I don't have an answer guys, I'm sorry.'

But, just all weekend, even crossing the line, a lot of laps I felt good, I was like ‘that’s a good lap’, and I think at one point I was 1.2s slower than what Lando had just done. So… no answers at the moment.

Then again, even if I’m not optimising the car, I would still say like OK maybe I’m two tenths slower or three tenths slower. The whole, let’s say, call it a second, it seems a lot.

I’m not going to bury my head in the sands and be like ‘fix it, I’m the best’. I still want to definitely work at it, I’m sure there’s still things I can improve but this weekend’s been the biggest kind of anomaly of them all so far.

I'll certainly ask the question. I'm sure the team will do a dig and I don't want to say that's it or point the finger at the guys for not putting it together properly, but I'm sure we'll give it a proper look.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/i-refuse ... ricciardo/
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... s/6513649/
Here is the Lando vs Daniel comparison in Q2:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag
Emag

I mean, Daniel was confused about the gap but the information is right there. With telemetry it should be even more obvious. Lando is clearly more comfortable with the rear end. He goes full throttle almost immediately after the corners. Daniel waits for longer, and being "late" to 100% throttle out of slow speed corners in particular can be very costly (it's slightly more forgiving in high-speed because you have a lot of momentum anyway).

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

That’s exactly what I observed in that video. Lando applies more throttle and every so slightly earlier on virtually every single corner.

Well spotted emag

Xero

Daniel is really struggling on traction, you can visibly see it. Lando has the extra confidence to get on the power much earlier, whereas Daniel is hesitant. Other than that, Daniel is hitting all the apexes beautifully. Could simply be a setup thing, both cars have their own direction. Daniel has solved his braking issues, so its not all bad.

mvfad

Lando has more confidence in acceleration during the exit of the corners. He accelerates very early.

One thing I didn't understand is that although Ricc has a slower turnout, it reaches higher top speed faster. It looks like his car/setup has a lot less downforce. But I'm just a layman.

godlameroso

Norris does it without thinking, Riccardo thinks too much.

Saishū kōnā

billamend
billamend

djos

CjC wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:05
Macklaren wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:02
Stellar lap from Lando. 9-thousands off Carlos. But team execution during quali has been shocking this year...poor Daniel
What makes you say that the teams poor quali execution has cost Daniel?
This is the second time the team has got the timing wrong and prevented him from starting another fast lap in qually.
"In downforce we trust"

BosF1
BosF1

djos wrote:
23 May 2021, 02:33
CjC wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:05
Macklaren wrote:
22 May 2021, 16:02
Stellar lap from Lando. 9-thousands off Carlos. But team execution during quali has been shocking this year...poor Daniel
I've rewatched Q2 and Daniel improved his laptime some 15 seconds after the chequered flag came out. Given that after a push lap, you need to do a cooldown lap before another push lap, he was never meant to do another push lap. This time it was executed as planned! So no, the team did not screw up.
What makes you say that the teams poor quali execution has cost Daniel?
This is the second time the team has got the timing wrong and prevented him from starting another fast lap in qually.
I've rewatched Q2 and Daniel improved his laptime some 15 seconds after the chequered flag came out. Given that after a push lap you need to do a cooldown lap before starting another push lap, he was never meant to do another flying lap. This time it was excuted as planned! The team has not screwed up.

nevill3

Daniel was pulled onto the weighbridge and this compromised his ideal tyre warm up lap
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

djos

nevill3 wrote:
23 May 2021, 09:12
Daniel was pulled onto the weighbridge and this compromised his ideal tyre warm up lap
You are correct, I missed that.
"In downforce we trust"