2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:12
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 00:27

I don’t see why it would create negative press for Mclaren (or Mercedes for that sake)... Mclaren complies to a set of regulations and they would be protesting that their competitors aren’t... I’m having a hard time understanding how it could negatively impact them from an image perspective.

The team is competing and fighting for a potential P3 in the Championship, if their competitors are using an unfair advantage, bringing it up and protesting is the right thing to do if they are trying to protect their interests and by adjacency those of their sponsors.

Seidl has already been very vocal about it and stated that they are discussing this already with the FIA and if no action is taken, they are keeping their options open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Logic doesn't come in to how things are perceived, and taking legal action to try and swing a championship in your favour (Merc) or to bring RB closer to you (Mclaren) would be percieved differently inside of F1 than out. This kind of action would reach outside of F1 more than events normally would and that negative reception is a risk to the brands.
Your opinion and I respect it... Mine is that there won’t be any negative backlash to a protest, the team is not doing anything wrong by protesting, therefore I can foresee what the negative impact from it could be.

Furthermore, once the protest is launched, the team won’t be the one going to the ICA... For the issue to go to the ICA, the Stewards would need to first rule in Mclaren’s favor (or against whomever is protested), if that’s the case, the teams that are penalized are the ones that file their appeal at the ICA to try and change the outcome from it.

Not protesting would be a miss opportunity.

I see where you're coming from, I just think that a lot of media, print media in particular can use those situations to spin a story. Reality doesn't have to come into play.

Like I said, I dont disagree with your rational, just that once you escalate beyond a certain level than you can lose control.

Merc don't have to go to the ICA themselves for newspapers to print snide stories of a team afraid of a real challenge.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

El Scorchio

mwillems wrote:
23 May 2021, 09:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:12
mwillems wrote:
Logic doesn't come in to how things are perceived, and taking legal action to try and swing a championship in your favour (Merc) or to bring RB closer to you (Mclaren) would be percieved differently inside of F1 than out. This kind of action would reach outside of F1 more than events normally would and that negative reception is a risk to the brands.
Your opinion and I respect it... Mine is that there won’t be any negative backlash to a protest, the team is not doing anything wrong by protesting, therefore I can foresee what the negative impact from it could be.

Furthermore, once the protest is launched, the team won’t be the one going to the ICA... For the issue to go to the ICA, the Stewards would need to first rule in Mclaren’s favor (or against whomever is protested), if that’s the case, the teams that are penalized are the ones that file their appeal at the ICA to try and change the outcome from it.

Not protesting would be a miss opportunity.

I see where you're coming from, I just think that a lot of media, print media in particular can use those situations to spin a story. Reality doesn't have to come into play.

Like I said, I dont disagree with your rational, just that once you escalate beyond a certain level than you can lose control.

Merc don't have to go to the ICA themselves for newspapers to print snide stories of a team afraid of a real challenge.
Why on earth would any (non trash clickbait) media outlet report that a team protesting something on another car is running scared of a challenge? Hasn’t happened before as far as I recall and I don’t see it happening here if McLaren protest flexible rear wings.

In the last few years: (that I recall off the top of my head)

Red Bull with DAS
Red Bull with party mode
Red Bull/Merc with Ferrari engine
Renault with RP brakes

None of these teams who protested has a damaged reputation or backlash because of it. If anything, Ferrari and RP are the only two from the above examples and they were both being protested about. Red Bull’s reputation and brand would have fallen through the floor if protesting was damaging. Why would it be different for McLaren with this?

toraabe
toraabe

Xero wrote:
23 May 2021, 00:55
Daniel is really struggling on traction, you can visibly see it. Lando has the extra confidence to get on the power much earlier, whereas Daniel is hesitant. Other than that, Daniel is hitting all the apexes beautifully. Could simply be a setup thing, both cars have their own direction. Daniel has solved his braking issues, so its not all bad.
As I wrote before, Daniel seems not yet comfortable with the Mercedes engine. When you have been driving a Renault engine since 2014 you know it inside out. How it delivers sound and so on. Now he has to learn that again, Vettel also. Seems since they are new to the Mercedes PU they have to adjust their driving style to it... ,,, It is what I think

El Scorchio

toraabe wrote:
23 May 2021, 12:08
Xero wrote:
Daniel is really struggling on traction, you can visibly see it. Lando has the extra confidence to get on the power much earlier, whereas Daniel is hesitant. Other than that, Daniel is hitting all the apexes beautifully. Could simply be a setup thing, both cars have their own direction. Daniel has solved his braking issues, so its not all bad.
As I wrote before, Daniel seems not yet comfortable with the Mercedes engine. When you have been driving a Renault engine since 2014 you know it inside out. How it delivers sound and so on. Now he has to learn that again, Vettel also. Seems since they are new to the Mercedes PU they have to adjust their driving style to it... ,,, It is what I think
Although Sainz has adapted to the Ferrari very well, so is it a huge thing? Had he also been driving Renault his entire F1 career? (I could be wrong with that.)

Juzh

Here's a cleaned up version of Norris' q3 lap with telemetry on top
(open in youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqmUCO2gzIY

McL-H
McL-H

Juzh wrote:
23 May 2021, 12:34
Here's a cleaned up version of Norris' q3 lap with telemetry on top
(open in youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqmUCO2gzIY
Damn! A near perfect lap. Scary how close he came to some of the barriers. It definitely looks faster than the Ricciardo onboards. Would have been P2 without the mistake in Rascasse.

Darth-Piekus

Leclerc will start from pole as Ferrari said that they found no damage to the gearbox. Not sure if there is damage or not but they are taking a risk here cause if there is any kind of damage to it Leclerc might face a DNF in the race.

mclaren111

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 May 2021, 13:10
Leclerc will start from pole as Ferrari said that they found no damage to the gearbox. Not sure if there is damage or not but they are taking a risk here cause if there is any kind of damage to it Leclerc might face a DNF in the race.

I can live with the DNF... :D :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Xero wrote:
In the chicane Daniel went heavily over the kerb, Lando stayed off it. I wonder what is better.

Darth-Piekus

Let's hope for a start of a new Mclaren Era in 2022. It has taken so long to be able to get a championship.

Quick edit. Ferrari took a risk and Leclerc might have a DNF before the race starts. The gearbox might have damage after all. If that is the case then in my opinion they were idiots for taking such a high risk.

Yeap it's confirmed. Leclerc will start from the pitlane but I have a feeling the Gearbox won't hold the race.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Gutting for Leclerc, however good news for McLaren! Now to take advantage of the good luck server our way!

mclaren111

ScottR267 wrote:
23 May 2021, 14:36
Gutting for Leclerc, however good news for McLaren! Now to take advantage of the good luck server our way!
??

Darth-Piekus

Leclerc might have a DNF before the race even starts. Good for Mclaren, a pity for Leclerc as he gave his all for that pole. Ferrari took a high risk and paid the price.

BosF1
BosF1

The damage limitation GP might actually turn out to be an increased lead over Ferrari if we can keep it on track, now that LeClerc isn't likely to score points...

the EDGE
the EDGE

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 May 2021, 14:09
Let's hope for a start of a new Mclaren Era in 2022. It has taken so long to be able to get a championship.

Quick edit. Ferrari took a risk and Leclerc might have a DNF before the race starts. The gearbox might have damage after all. If that is the case then in my opinion they were idiots for taking such a high risk.

Yeap it's confirmed. Leclerc will start from the pitlane but I have a feeling the Gearbox won't hold the race.
I don’t think Ferrari were idiots for taking the risk

The chance to start 1st and maybe/probably take the win far outweighs a guaranteed p11 start and zero chance of a podium

I’d of made the same call... and I hope McLaren would have too