2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

blastdoman wrote:
23 May 2021, 15:56
Im sorry but with Ricc, the constructor championship is done.

Edit: For Ferrari obviously
They have a talent for shooting themselves in the foot. I wouldn't give up.

mwillems

El Scorchio wrote:
23 May 2021, 10:44
mwillems wrote:
23 May 2021, 09:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:12

Your opinion and I respect it... Mine is that there won’t be any negative backlash to a protest, the team is not doing anything wrong by protesting, therefore I can foresee what the negative impact from it could be.

Furthermore, once the protest is launched, the team won’t be the one going to the ICA... For the issue to go to the ICA, the Stewards would need to first rule in Mclaren’s favor (or against whomever is protested), if that’s the case, the teams that are penalized are the ones that file their appeal at the ICA to try and change the outcome from it.

Not protesting would be a miss opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I see where you're coming from, I just think that a lot of media, print media in particular can use those situations to spin a story. Reality doesn't have to come into play.

Like I said, I dont disagree with your rational, just that once you escalate beyond a certain level than you can lose control.

Merc don't have to go to the ICA themselves for newspapers to print snide stories of a team afraid of a real challenge.
Why on earth would any (non trash clickbait) media outlet report that a team protesting something on another car is running scared of a challenge? Hasn’t happened before as far as I recall and I don’t see it happening here if McLaren protest flexible rear wings.

In the last few years: (that I recall off the top of my head)

Red Bull with DAS
Red Bull with party mode
Red Bull/Merc with Ferrari engine
Renault with RP brakes

None of these teams who protested has a damaged reputation or backlash because of it. If anything, Ferrari and RP are the only two from the above examples and they were both being protested about. Red Bull’s reputation and brand would have fallen through the floor if protesting was damaging. Why would it be different for McLaren with this?
I've already explained why.

Because when it escalates beyond a normal protest and to a higher arbitration, it stops being something that makes it to a small F1 article and makes more print in the kind of places where they like to spin a story.

For Mercedes, it isn't a coincidence that they just started complaining about it when they feel a challenge from Red Bull. Horner and Wolff had been discussing it for a while. This was no "I just noticed, and blurted it out in the interview" from Hamilton. Everyone knew and Merc orchestrated it to be as innocuous a protest as possible. The reality is they are struggling on track so they are pushing back off it. They are feeling it and looking for ways to get breathing space. When you spend time saying you welcome competition and then start arbitration when you do feel it, people can go to town on that if they want, and I have no doubt they will if it goes beyond a protest. Do you want that just to bring it forward a few races. Possibly but I think it is just bluster and they won't get their hands dirty.

Logic doesn't come in to how things are perceived, and taking legal action to try and swing a championship in your favour (Merc) or to bring RB closer to you (Mclaren) would be percieved differently inside of F1 than out (Which would be less forgiving). This kind of action would reach outside of F1 more than events normally would and that negative reception is a risk to the brands.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando is hating this ser of tires!

Stroll showing how running long can be helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:19
Lando is hating this ser of tires!

Stroll showing how running long can be helpful!

I think Norris should be safe, just keep safe, Perez doesn't have stellar pace atm. No cutting the chicken!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
23 May 2021, 10:44
mwillems wrote:
23 May 2021, 09:57
I see where you're coming from, I just think that a lot of media, print media in particular can use those situations to spin a story. Reality doesn't have to come into play.

Like I said, I dont disagree with your rational, just that once you escalate beyond a certain level than you can lose control.

Merc don't have to go to the ICA themselves for newspapers to print snide stories of a team afraid of a real challenge.
Why on earth would any (non trash clickbait) media outlet report that a team protesting something on another car is running scared of a challenge? Hasn’t happened before as far as I recall and I don’t see it happening here if McLaren protest flexible rear wings.

In the last few years: (that I recall off the top of my head)

Red Bull with DAS
Red Bull with party mode
Red Bull/Merc with Ferrari engine
Renault with RP brakes

None of these teams who protested has a damaged reputation or backlash because of it. If anything, Ferrari and RP are the only two from the above examples and they were both being protested about. Red Bull’s reputation and brand would have fallen through the floor if protesting was damaging. Why would it be different for McLaren with this?
I've already explained why.

Because when it escalates beyond a normal protest and to a higher arbitration, it stops being something that makes it to a small F1 article and makes more print in the kind of places where they like to spin a story.

For Mercedes, it isn't a coincidence that they just started complaining about it when they feel a challenge from Red Bull. Horner and Wolff had been discussing it for a while. This was no "I just noticed, and blurted it out in the interview" from Hamilton. Everyone knew and Merc orchestrated it to be as innocuous a protest as possible. The reality is they are struggling on track so they are pushing back off it. They are feeling it and looking for ways to get breathing space. When you spend time saying you welcome competition and then start arbitration when you do feel it, people can go to town on that if they want, and I have no doubt they will if it goes beyond a protest. Do you want that just to bring it forward a few races. Possibly but I think it is just bluster and they won't get their hands dirty.

Logic doesn't come in to how things are perceived, and taking legal action to try and swing a championship in your favour (Merc) or to bring RB closer to you (Mclaren) would be percieved differently inside of F1 than out (Which would be less forgiving). This kind of action would reach outside of F1 more than events normally would and that negative reception is a risk to the brands.
I have a feeling that the team doesn’t ask their sponsors if they should or shouldn’t protest... That’s the team’s decision and the sponsors shouldn’t have a say on it... On the other hand, finishing high in the Championship is better rep for the brands than any potential negative perception that has a very low chance of happening (you still haven’t said why there would be a negative reaction... You say it’s possible, which I agree, but on what terms?)... If there is a negative reaction, it will also be short term lived and at the end, what will matter is how to the year ends for the team :)

Darth-Piekus

Hold on to your hats. Sainz is losing a lot of time compared to Norris and Perez. We may have a 3 way battle to 2nd,

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:Hold on to your hats. Sainz is losing a lot of time compared to Norris and Perez. We may have a 3 way battle to 2nd,
Sainz is pacing and it’s 12 seconds ahead

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:30
Darth-Piekus wrote:Hold on to your hats. Sainz is losing a lot of time compared to Norris and Perez. We may have a 3 way battle to 2nd,

Probably cooling/recharging for fastest lap.

Perez is probably waiting for last laps to attack again.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:30

Probably cooling/recharging for fastest lap.

Perez is probably waiting for last laps to attack again.
Lando is doing a good job... As long as he focus at Rascasse, he should be safe! Just a handful of laps left... Come on Lando!

Emag
Emag

I love Lando

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Good boy!!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Yes yes yes yes! Great job team!

Darth-Piekus

I was actually reading the times wrong. In any case 3 Podiums for Norris and Mclaren this year. Already set a record compared to years before. Now on to the next step.

proteus

Lando again impressive.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

If you look up the phrase “Damage Limitation” from today, you’d probably be referred to McLaren, 2021 Monaco Grand Prix
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.