2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:20
Anybody follow Daniel during the race? Anything to be encouraged about, any glimmer of hope?
He had great pace on Hards after pitting but it fizzled out later on. Maybe he used up his tires.

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
Anybody follow Daniel during the race? Anything to be encouraged about, any glimmer of hope?
When he put the hard tyres on after his first stop he was in the same ball park laptime wise as Lando who was also on hards at the same time....?
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Anybody follow Daniel during the race? Anything to be encouraged about, any glimmer of hope?
He actually had some good laps, he was running in the 1:14.8’s in the middle of the race... I do believe that he struggled a bit too much with dirty air today since he dropped a lot from Kimi, but he definitely seemed to be getting into the rhythm when he had some free air.

Monaco was the one track were he was going to suffer if he is still finding his feet with the Mclaren car, the worst should be behind him and even when he may still be behind Lando in the next few races (Lando will be full of confidence and momentum, which mentally is a huge boost), he should be closer and that’s only good for the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McG

Good podium =D> Made the race worth watching til the end.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Herr_Koos

Ground Effect wrote:
He looked much better in the latter half when running in clear air, but spent the whole afternoon in traffic so couldn't do anything with it. For the short while he was in some space before his pitstop, he was matching the leaders' pace.

McFAN
McFAN

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Thanks guys, good to know. I’m kind of hoping they’ll find an anomaly with his car, that could explain all this away. He honestly seemed baffled with his lack of pace in relation to Lando this weekend. He actually said he’d cross the line thinking it was a strong lap, only to be told he’s over a 1 second off! Baku should play to our strengths and a bit less unforgiving than Monaco. It still has some close to the wall moments. But he said it’s not even much of a confidence thing anymore.
Last edited by Ground Effect on 23 May 2021, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:Thanks guys, good to know. I’m kind of hoping they’ll find an anomaly with his car, that could explain all this away. He honestly seemed baffled with his lack of pace in relation to Lando this weekend. He actually said he’d cross the line thinking it was a strong lap, only to be told he’s over a 1 second off! Baku should play to our strengths and a bit less unforgiving as Monaco. It still has some close to the wall moments. But he said it’s not even much of a confidence thing anymore.
He needs a strong Baku showing... My concern with him is more on the mental side than on the driving side... Been lapped by Lando, baffled in regards to the performance gap, if he starts to question too many things at the same time, it could affect his performance.

He needs a good race to get his confidence back, on himself more than the car.

Last edited by SmallSoldier on 23 May 2021, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:58
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:22

I have a feeling that the team doesn’t ask their sponsors if they should or shouldn’t protest... That’s the team’s decision and the sponsors shouldn’t have a say on it... On the other hand, finishing high in the Championship is better rep for the brands than any potential negative perception that has a very low chance of happening (you still haven’t said why there would be a negative reaction... You say it’s possible, which I agree, but on what terms?)... If there is a negative reaction, it will also be short term lived and at the end, what will matter is how to the year ends for the team :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nobody said anything about asking the sponsors, that is something you have introduced from somewhere.

I'm not saying it will go either way.

My only point is that there is more to it than the protest itself, there will be commercial and brand considerations. it doesn't matter how strong they are because I wasn't arguing they would be strong. I just argued that your notion that there were no other considerations might not be true and it's not a case of we can protest so we will.

We didn't protest Racing point but by your logic we would have. So you can see already that they way you put it across does not necessarily stack up with recent decisions.
We didn’t protest RP because Renault did it for us :)

But anyway... Good discussion!

Let’s enjoy the Podium at freaking Monaco!!!

lol

But that's the point, other considerations ;)
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bauc

Great result by NORRIS, stellar drive to maximize this weekend and finish on the podium. As a said yesterday it was 99% that RIC will get stuck at 13th place after the start due to the nature of the Monaco track and he could not do anything really from there, and his first stint was not a good one as well, so a lot of work for RIC to get on pace with NOR so we can beat Ferrari this year for p3.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando back in P3 on the WDC and Mclaren 2 points ahead of Ferrari with 80 points... The team is doing great after 5 races!

The next 4 races should also be on the positive side for the team, with Baku, France and Austria X 2.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:56
Lando back in P3 on the WDC and Mclaren 2 points ahead of Ferrari with 80 points... The team is doing great after 5 races!

The next 4 races should also be on the positive side for the team, with Baku, France and Austria X 2.

With this kind of form, a huge slice of luck, Lando could be in the fight for P4 in the driver’s standings.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:56

With this kind of form, a huge slice of luck, Lando could be in the fight for P4 in the driver’s standings.
I’m getting more and more optimistic this season... There is this feeling that the car has more pace to be unlocked and the gap to the guys in the front isn’t as huge as it used to be

The team is closing that gap, not necessarily for wins, but more podiums are in within our grasp this season.

I’m just hoping that the temptation to keep developing the car doesn’t hinder 2022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlatinumZealot

McFAN wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:32
What a lovely podium. The livery, the car, the championship, the glamour... :wink:

Probably on a quarter of the salary of Daniel too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando’s post race Radio: