2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:56
Lando back in P3 on the WDC and Mclaren 2 points ahead of Ferrari with 80 points... The team is doing great after 5 races!

The next 4 races should also be on the positive side for the team, with Baku, France and Austria X 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Baku is definitely a good track for McLaren this year, they have a very slippery car. France will be similar to Barcelona, as the corner types are very similar, albeit it will be quite a bit warmer than the race in Spain. They may have a stronger showing vs Ferrari because there is a higher emphasis on engine performance, however they still lack the nimbleness in the slow medium speed corners. Alpine will be a stronger challenger in France, as will Aston Martin, that team is developing very well and Vettel is starting to get his mojo back. Plus by France, Honda will have introduced it's second version of their power unit with any reliability fixes they plan on implementing, so Alpha Tauri will likely be in the mix.
Saishū kōnā

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:37
Ground Effect wrote:Thanks guys, good to know. I’m kind of hoping they’ll find an anomaly with his car, that could explain all this away. He honestly seemed baffled with his lack of pace in relation to Lando this weekend. He actually said he’d cross the line thinking it was a strong lap, only to be told he’s over a 1 second off! Baku should play to our strengths and a bit less unforgiving as Monaco. It still has some close to the wall moments. But he said it’s not even much of a confidence thing anymore.
He needs a strong Baku showing... My concern with him is more on the mental side than on the driving side... Been lapped by Lando, baffled in regards to the performance gap, if he starts to question too many things at the same time, it could affect his performance.

He needs a good race to get his confidence back, on himself more than the car.

You would think 78 laps of Monaco would be plenty enough time to get a grip with the cars characteristics

He can not be that far away from mastering the 35b, he’s 8th in the championship, so it’s fair to say he’s performing well, just not reaching the very high standards we know he’s capable off

McL-H
McL-H

In Daniel’s defense, he was already set for getting lapped after qualifying yesterday. Monaco is not a track to recover from that. Your pace will be maxed to what the guys in front of you are doing and as Lando had free air it was just a matter of time until he came by Daniel.

That said, I hope McLaren finds something wrong with his car that can clarify why he was a second off yesterday. He ain’t a rookie, he should be delivering from the get-go, like Sainz is showing. I expect him to qualify no more than 2 tenths behind Lando next race. No excuses.

The fight with Ferrari for third is tight. We need him up there.

dfegan358
dfegan358

I’m less concerned about ricciardo being lapped but the huge qualifying gap. A second in the same car is just far too big for an experienced driver who is considered to have serious raw speed. Ricciardo needs to up his game big time

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Watched the top 3 post race conference, quite interesting, Carlos and Max are adamant McLaren will be strong in Baku. Max said Lando has a rocket! :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
PhillipM

They're checking Dannys chassis next time it's back at the factory for a crack, sounds like it's not really responding to him trying to change setups around, which is often a stiffness issue. So it might not be just Ric, hopefully.

Emag
Emag

PhillipM wrote:
23 May 2021, 20:58
They're checking Dannys chassis next time it's back at the factory for a crack, sounds like it's not really responding to him trying to change setups around, which is often a stiffness issue. So it might not be just Ric, hopefully.
I am just hoping there's something really. However small, it should give Daniel a confidence boost.

If there's nothing wrong with it maybe they should just try out the placebo effect and tell Daniel they found something severely broken with the chassis :P

Chicane
Chicane

----------------Ricciardo: There are things in Norris' data I can't do--------------------

"On that, obviously, I'm gonna keep looking at it and see what things I can do better. But like, there's differences on the data. And it's like, well, this is why Lando is quicker in that corner. "And I see that but I'm not convinced I'm able to do that. So we'll see. Maybe it's still a bit of me getting used to the car, but I'm sure they'll check everything as well. Because, when I'm that far off, it's been tough."

Asked what he meant by differences in the data, Ricciardo explained that it's down to things like being able to brake as late as Norris, or not being able to get the same type of rotation through a corner. "Yeah, pretty much just going through the corner like that," he said. "Maybe like brake as late or turn in like that. So we'll see. I'm obviously gonna keep working at it. But I feel this weekend has been so been so far off and so much on the backfoot, that part of me also just wants to switch off for a few days. And otherwise, it's like paralysis over analysis. And I've been there before and I don't want to go back to that."

https://racingnews365.com/ricciardo-the ... -i-cant-do
Quickshifter

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:44
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:37
Ground Effect wrote:Thanks guys, good to know. I’m kind of hoping they’ll find an anomaly with his car, that could explain all this away. He honestly seemed baffled with his lack of pace in relation to Lando this weekend. He actually said he’d cross the line thinking it was a strong lap, only to be told he’s over a 1 second off! Baku should play to our strengths and a bit less unforgiving as Monaco. It still has some close to the wall moments. But he said it’s not even much of a confidence thing anymore.
He needs a strong Baku showing... My concern with him is more on the mental side than on the driving side... Been lapped by Lando, baffled in regards to the performance gap, if he starts to question too many things at the same time, it could affect his performance.

He needs a good race to get his confidence back, on himself more than the car.

You would think 78 laps of Monaco would be plenty enough time to get a grip with the cars characteristics

He can not be that far away from mastering the 35b, he’s 8th in the championship, so it’s fair to say he’s performing well, just not reaching the very high standards we know he’s capable off
Yeah he's doing ok, but what we really need him to do is take points from Ferrari and bring them to Mclaren.

Sainz and Leclerc are close and as it is, we may suffer from the same fate as Aston Martin last year. Fast car but with a weak link driver.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Lando back in P3 on the WDC and Mclaren 2 points ahead of Ferrari with 80 points... The team is doing great after 5 races!

The next 4 races should also be on the positive side for the team, with Baku, France and Austria X 2.

Baku is definitely a good track for McLaren this year, they have a very slippery car. France will be similar to Barcelona, as the corner types are very similar, albeit it will be quite a bit warmer than the race in Spain. They may have a stronger showing vs Ferrari because there is a higher emphasis on engine performance, however they still lack the nimbleness in the slow medium speed corners. Alpine will be a stronger challenger in France, as will Aston Martin, that team is developing very well and Vettel is starting to get his mojo back. Plus by France, Honda will have introduced it's second version of their power unit with any reliability fixes they plan on implementing, so Alpha Tauri will likely be in the mix.
I don’t think France is as similar to Barcelona though... At least it doesn’t have an slow section like S3 in Cataluña... It was actually a very solid track for the MCL34 in 2019 and the MCL35M is a clear step forward versus that car, if not for Norris’ mechanical issues, both would have finished in good positions in that race... I actually expect them to do better in France than Baku in relative terms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

I believe Ric has some problem with the car that the team won’t be able to fix this season. Maybe we have to wait for the next season to see the real Ric.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Chicane wrote:
23 May 2021, 21:15
----------------Ricciardo: There are things in Norris' data I can't do--------------------

"On that, obviously, I'm gonna keep looking at it and see what things I can do better. But like, there's differences on the data. And it's like, well, this is why Lando is quicker in that corner. "And I see that but I'm not convinced I'm able to do that. So we'll see. Maybe it's still a bit of me getting used to the car, but I'm sure they'll check everything as well. Because, when I'm that far off, it's been tough."

Asked what he meant by differences in the data, Ricciardo explained that it's down to things like being able to brake as late as Norris, or not being able to get the same type of rotation through a corner. "Yeah, pretty much just going through the corner like that," he said. "Maybe like brake as late or turn in like that. So we'll see. I'm obviously gonna keep working at it. But I feel this weekend has been so been so far off and so much on the backfoot, that part of me also just wants to switch off for a few days. And otherwise, it's like paralysis over analysis. And I've been there before and I don't want to go back to that."

https://racingnews365.com/ricciardo-the ... -i-cant-do
They should get them both on the simulator and compare.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Szabi1112 wrote:I believe Ric has some problem with the car that the team won’t be able to fix this season. Maybe we have to wait for the next season to see the real Ric.
You mean with his car? If there is something wrong with the chassis, a change should fix it... But, there isn’t anything inherently wrong with the car itself, Norris wouldn’t be able to get the performance out of it like he has

godlameroso

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 21:30
godlameroso wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I don’t think France is as similar to Barcelona though... At least it doesn’t have an slow section like S3 in Cataluña... It was actually a very solid track for the MCL34 in 2019 and the MCL35M is a clear step forward versus that car, if not for Norris’ mechanical issues, both would have finished in good positions in that race... I actually expect them to do better in France than Baku in relative terms

There are some frustratingly slow corners, the sequence before the chicane straight requires good low speed cornering and grip to get on the power early. The exit of the chicane is very important, and the final two corners are very slow. The beginning of the lap, and that triple right hander should be good, but the rest of sector 3 is very Barcelona-esque. Very long corners, culminating in the slowest corner on the track which is also very important for the lap time.

Sector 3 is like taking turn 5 7 and old turn 10 of Barcelona, and juxtaposing them in some weird inverted way. McLaren was not that great around those types of corners. It was easier in Monaco because they could get the front end turned in with setup, but on long corners, the suspension settles and it's nothing you can do with setup, it's just the inherent downforce of the car carrying you.

On corner entry, or exit, and sometimes the mid corner phase you can take advantage of the aero pitch sensitivity of the car, and use the brakes and the throttle to alter the ride height. It's a lot harder to do that with long steady corners, you spend more time just hanging on.

You can lift a little on entry which will put the nose closer to the ground, which will further help your turn in. In an aero formula, when and how you get on and off the power has some influence in how you get the aero working. Even if there's no exhaust blowing the diffuser, the way the car pitches forwards and backwards and how it rolls all affects the aero platform and subtleties in driving style can make the aero work better or worse.

Also, here's another thing to consider, those venetian blinds on the sidepods, they have to be interacting with the walls. Ground effect doesn't just work on the ground :wink:
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 21:30
godlameroso wrote: Baku is definitely a good track for McLaren this year, they have a very slippery car. France will be similar to Barcelona, as the corner types are very similar, albeit it will be quite a bit warmer than the race in Spain. They may have a stronger showing vs Ferrari because there is a higher emphasis on engine performance, however they still lack the nimbleness in the slow medium speed corners. Alpine will be a stronger challenger in France, as will Aston Martin, that team is developing very well and Vettel is starting to get his mojo back. Plus by France, Honda will have introduced it's second version of their power unit with any reliability fixes they plan on implementing, so Alpha Tauri will likely be in the mix.

There are some frustratingly slow corners, the sequence before the chicane straight requires good low speed cornering and grip to get on the power early. The exit of the chicane is very important, and the final two corners are very slow. The beginning of the lap, and that triple right hander should be good, but the rest of sector 3 is very Barcelona-esque. Very long corners, culminating in the slowest corner on the track which is also very important for the lap time.

Sector 3 is like taking turn 5 7 and old turn 10 of Barcelona, and juxtaposing them in some weird inverted way. McLaren was not that great around those types of corners. It was easier in Monaco because they could get the front end turned in with setup, but on long corners, the suspension settles and it's nothing you can do with setup, it's just the inherent downforce of the car carrying you.

On corner entry, or exit, and sometimes the mid corner phase you can take advantage of the aero pitch sensitivity of the car, and use the brakes and the throttle to alter the ride height. It's a lot harder to do that with long steady corners, you spend more time just hanging on.

You can lift a little on entry which will put the nose closer to the ground, which will further help your turn in. In an aero formula, when and how you get on and off the power has some influence in how you get the aero working. Even if there's no exhaust blowing the diffuser, the way the car pitches forwards and backwards and how it rolls all affects the aero platform and subtleties in driving style can make the aero work better or worse.

Also, here's another thing to consider, those venetian blinds on the sidepods, they have to be interacting with the walls. Ground effect doesn't just work on the ground :wink:
The current configuration at Paul Ricard isn’t related to S3 at Barcelona, which is slower and not as fluid.

The closest reference point for Mclaren would be at the 2019 French GP, where after not having great performance in Spain, they had one of their strongest weekends at Paul Ricard... Considering that the current car addresses most of the weaknesses of the MCL34, it should be a good weekend for the team.