2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
23 May 2021, 20:43
Wolff threatens Mercedes protest against Red Bull
Today, 17:56

Mercedes' boss Toto Wolff has indicated that the team are willing to protest against Red Bull in Azerbaijan, if the so-called 'bendy wings' run on the RB16B.

"I think if the limbo wings are on in Baku with the advantage that we see it's gonna go to the stewards and if the stewards are not enough, then it's going to go to the ICA (the FIA's International Court of Appeal)," Wolff explained on Sky Sports F1.

"So I guess the FIA is gonna clarify things before Baku because, if not, it could be very messy."
https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-thre ... t-red-bull
Speak who never used cheats and illegal stuff on it's cars

godlameroso

Man, that is certainly a bold move. It definitely shows the intent and willingness that Mercedes is willing to go. Toto is a fearsome competitor, his dedication as well as his team should be unquestioned after 7 seasons and change.

You kind of have to be in awe at how much power he can wield so effortlessly, seriously, you think those clouds on Saturday was just a coincidence, it was Toto's anger manifesting into a weather phenomenon.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

Where is the liar who was saying feel exited because of close competition?

McMika98
McMika98

godlameroso wrote:
23 May 2021, 21:04
Man, that is certainly a bold move. It definitely shows the intent and willingness that Mercedes is willing to go. Toto is a fearsome competitor, his dedication as well as his team should be unquestioned after 7 seasons and change.
Just goes to show how much they might gain in Baku if the wing is taken away, threating to go beyond FIA. If it was just a tenth then they would never be so bold especially given they are equally as fast a RedBull.
A rear wing change in 2 weeks will be impossible optimise the setup, they have their hands tied.

Sieper

FIA has already made the wing rule more strict, better said, used the existing option to change how it will be measured. The minimum period for teams to adjust to that has been used with that. They have to be able to finish the races under the current, and valid rules. Finally a correct statement by mcmika. Merc will simply have to wait. They won’t though, that much is clear.

I wasn’t even aware of that ICA option, redbull never once mentioned it, let alone threatened with it last year with the also against the spirit of the rules, but not in the rules strictly forbidden DAS.

Datco
Datco

Toto playing political games too trying to destabilise RBR Honda relationship by saying RBR will take on another engine partner using Honda IP.

dans79

Just like many governments, ICA is a standalone judiciary branch.
https://www.fia.com/international-court-appeal

Just like in governments, it's a check and balance for the other branches.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Datco
Datco

Anyone know how much of wing flex seen on camera is down to rake. Guess not to much if Horner says they actually need to make changes

godlameroso

Datco wrote:
23 May 2021, 22:33
Anyone know how much of wing flex seen on camera is down to rake. Guess not to much if Horner says they actually need to make changed.
Horner nor anyone in Red Bull has admitted that their wing is illegal, Ferrari and Alfa are the only teams so far that have admitted the aero flexibility. Horner only made a statement regarding the estimated costs of making a new wing, but no one in RBR is admitting their wing is illegal.

We don't know how much wing flex is even happening, all one can conclude is that it appears that the RBR wing bends more than the Mercedes. That is the only factual statement we can deduce from the video evidence. There is no quantifiable amount that can be determined from any video. If we use the video with flat grids, we can see there is a relative difference, however that relative difference is only pixels on an image. We cannot conclude with any certainty what that pixel difference translates to in reality.

I will give my hats off to anyone that can give a realistic numerical quantity from this video of how much the wing is flexing. Otherwise, we can only conclude that it appears the wing bends more than the Mercedes powered teams, not that it actually does, because again, it will lead to the question of "how much". There is no getting around that "how much" part. No matter what test you use, the wing will still flex, but by a newly determined amount. So if the wing is found to be illegal with the new test, it means again, it flexes by an excessive amount. How much is that amount?

There is no way forward until the "how much" part is answered.
Saishū kōnā

RZS10

Datco wrote:
Anyone know how much of wing flex seen on camera is down to rake.
None. High rake, low rake, doesn't matter - the camera moves with the entire car and the wing moves relative to the camera.

godlameroso

RZS10 wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:52
Datco wrote:
None. High rake, low rake, doesn't matter - the camera moves with the entire car and the wing moves relative to the camera.
https://i.imgur.com/y3Lrjaa.gif
By how much? There is also no way for the engine cover to distort at speed? If it does, it could amplify the appearance of the wing moving relative to the engine cover. Again, no way to be sure from the video, only that it appears that the Red Bull wing flexes more than the Mercedes wing. Yet if we're dragging this to the ICA all teams will have to be subject. Then you're basically pitting the whole grid against you over this legal matter. If you play with fire, there's a chance you can get burned.
Saishū kōnā

dans79

godlameroso wrote:
24 May 2021, 00:05
RZS10 wrote:
Datco wrote:
By how much? There is also no way for the engine cover to distort at speed? If it does, it could amplify the appearance of the wing moving relative to the engine cover. Again, no way to be sure from the video, only that it appears that the Red Bull wing flexes more than the Mercedes wing. Yet if we're dragging this to the ICA all teams will have to be subject. Then you're basically pitting the whole grid against you over this legal matter. If you play with fire, there's a chance you can get burned.
You don't need to use the engine cover as a reference, the camera frame itself is the reference.
201 105 104 9 9 7

RZS10

Relax man, i just answered a simple question with a simple animated image. Haven't brought up anything else.
Last edited by RZS10 on 24 May 2021, 01:00, edited 2 times in total.

godlameroso

dans79 wrote:
24 May 2021, 00:06
godlameroso wrote:
24 May 2021, 00:05
RZS10 wrote:

You don't need to use the engine cover as a reference, the camera frame itself is the reference.
You can pick whichever reference you want, how much is it bending? Until you answer that, I can't agree the wing is illegal. The camera frame also has a 1 degree freedom of movement. Those pesky engineering tolerances and reality prevent anything from having zero degrees of freedom.

Regardless of your claims, you still can't answer by how much the wing is illegal, if at all, so this is all kind of irrelevant isn't it?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

RZS10 wrote:
24 May 2021, 00:11
Relax man, i just answered a simple question with a simple animated image. Haven't brought up anything else.
Ok, and I'm discussing the accuracy of your answer, not saying you're wrong, or right. It could be, and we need to make sure. Engine cover and camera mounting have some flex, and can cause optical illusions. Until we account for all variables we can only make guesses from images. Most people don't even know how far the wing is from the camera, which has a big influence in perception. I wish there were some fixed markings on the car that would make direct comparisons easy, but there's no such thing.
Saishū kōnā