2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
joetoml1n

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

PhillipM wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:36
NL_Fer wrote:
23 May 2021, 21:30
I saw picture showing the opposite. The surface of the nut just grinded flat.
But that may have simply been from the wheel gun mashing it when it was stuck. Galling is a big issue with these, teams have had many problems before.You don't need it to go on cross threaded for that, the threads literally weld themselves together under the heat and pressure.

Most of the nuts are designed to to lock themselves into the gun with torque applied so I can't see it being anything like the wheelgun guy not pushing enough like some suggested.
Locking the nut into the gun socket wasn’t my recent experience of them. The gun has to go on and be removed almost immediately, and then go onto and back off the second wheel in quick succession too. You wouldn’t want to slow that down and there’s no need to lock the socket onto the nut, the nuts are captive to the wheel these days, no need for it to stay attached to the socket

PlatinumZealot

RZS10 wrote:
23 May 2021, 20:42
Apparently Bottas stopped a bit "short" so the mechanic was out of position and made some wrong move and didn't have the gun on properly...
This confirmed by Mercedes?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

The nut was probably galled onto the threads from when the wheel went on.

Could be a dirty wheel nut, over torqued, undertorqued... Whichever way but if it was on properly the hun should still have turned it even after chewing the castellations/lugs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Rodak
Rodak

When you say 'the hun' are you referring to Toto?

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Rodak wrote:
24 May 2021, 04:32
When you say 'the hun' are you referring to Toto?
I believe it was a typo, it should have been the gun, as in the wheel gun.

PhillipM
PhillipM

joetoml1n wrote:
24 May 2021, 00:37
PhillipM wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:36
NL_Fer wrote:
23 May 2021, 21:30
I saw picture showing the opposite. The surface of the nut just grinded flat.
But that may have simply been from the wheel gun mashing it when it was stuck. Galling is a big issue with these, teams have had many problems before.You don't need it to go on cross threaded for that, the threads literally weld themselves together under the heat and pressure.

Most of the nuts are designed to to lock themselves into the gun with torque applied so I can't see it being anything like the wheelgun guy not pushing enough like some suggested.
Locking the nut into the gun socket wasn’t my recent experience of them. The gun has to go on and be removed almost immediately, and then go onto and back off the second wheel in quick succession too. You wouldn’t want to slow that down and there’s no need to lock the socket onto the nut, the nuts are captive to the wheel these days, no need for it to stay attached to the socket
It wouldn't stay attached to the socket because it's only under torque, every one I have seen up close has been made the same as a dog ring in a gearbox, with undercut tapers to keep them engaged while driving.

mclaren113
mclaren113

So guys, Monaco now is over
What's your prediction for the upcoming races?
Will Mercedes be more competitive?

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Azerbaijan & Canada could benefit the Honda power, Redbull traction and rear wing.

France & Britain fast corners are better for the Merc chassis.

nzjrs

NL_Fer wrote:
24 May 2021, 10:18
Azerbaijan & Canada could benefit the Honda power, Redbull traction and rear wing.

I forget who the interview was with (maybe someone else remembers) - but I think ?Toto? mentioned that unlike other seasons Mercedes does not have as strong feeling as previous years of 'this will be a RB track' or 'this will be a MB track'.

RZS10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2021, 02:54
RZS10 wrote:
Apparently Bottas stopped a bit "short" so the mechanic was out of position and made some wrong move and didn't have the gun on properly...
According to motorsport-total Wolff said that post race talking to sky. Now motorsport.com has an article up quoting Allison and he says they did not get the gun on cleanly and machined the nut.

mclaren113
mclaren113

NL_Fer wrote:
24 May 2021, 10:18

No canada this year
So we got baku, france and red bull ring the next 4 races

Mercedes must win at least 3 of them

atanatizante

Is there allowed to spray a lubricant at the wheel nut/bolt area when the car is in the pits for the tyre change or maybe they better do this before the race?

Even though sticky nuts are due to high temps coming out from the carbon brakes, lubs has very low thermal degradation/oxidation and evaporation particularly on that part of the car ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dans79

atanatizante wrote:
24 May 2021, 14:14
Is there allowed to spray a lubricant at the wheel nut/bolt area when the car is in the pits for the tyre change or maybe they better do this before the race?

Even though sticky nuts are due to high temps coming out from the carbon brakes, lubs has very low thermal degradation/oxidation and evaporation particularly on that part of the car ...

I'm not sure if they're allowed to do that. I assume if they're allowed to use any lubricant at all, It would have to be a dry lubricant as a solvent based lubricant would be a fire hazard.
201 105 104 9 9 7

joetoml1n

atanatizante wrote:
24 May 2021, 14:14

Gripcott NF was the go to lubricant.

http://www.molydal.com/file-download.ph ... ument=2081

This would have been applied during the tyre/wheel prep stage (before wrapping/heating etc). It's a very prescribed amount (1g) per wheel, spread across the wheel nut cone face, main thread, captive nut retainer thread and wheel hub conical face. Under lubrication can cause excess scoring and damage on the wheel face and over greasing can cause issues with nut slip

Big Tea

RZS10 wrote:
24 May 2021, 10:39
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2021, 02:54
RZS10 wrote:
According to motorsport-total Wolff said that post race talking to sky. Now motorsport.com has an article up quoting Allison and he says they did not get the gun on cleanly and machined the nut.
It makes you wonder if they don't have a cut off tool (or dremmel) and blunt chisel?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.