2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
radosav
radosav

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

alonso start

radosav
radosav

" The beginning of the season is not the best possible schedule for a new rider . I had Imola and Portugal, two circuits where I haven't driven for years or never, like in Portimao, and the others drove four months ago and then two urban circuits, so the first six races are very challenging to adapt, "Alonso commented.

" From France I hope a new championship begins for me, " he stressed.

Alonso hopes for improvements in the direction that will help him to be able to give better feedback to the team on the balance of the car, something fundamental in its adaptation. Those updates will probably come from the French GP.

"On the steering side, I hope we can come up with something that makes me feel a little better with the balance of the car and can give better feedback on how I feel now," he added.

For the rest, Monaco has been a race in which Alpine and Alonso have continued to learn for 2022. In that sense, he is satisfied with the work.

"Yes, I'm happy. We experimented a bit today with some things in the car. We also tested some things during the race, changing things with the wheel to gather information. My start was very good, Esteban's too," he said.

"The stops I think were 2.1 and 2.2 seconds, so there are things besides the result of the weekend that we tried to improve as a team. We tried to do the maximum, but we expected much more from Monaco and it was not possible . Let's try it for the next one ", has highlighted the Oviedo to close.

diffuser

I had my doudts about Monaco for Alonso. You need to be at one there with the car to get good times and he hasn't been there from the beginning of the year.

Redragon

I don't think the car problem is the downforce. I think it has big issues with the suspension. They tyre use is not great. They seem not to warm the tyres fast enough and then they eat them too quickly. That's my opinion. Seen Norris on 3rd on the rankings and Riccardo all the way down on the table with such a great car. I think is premature to write off alonso specially he haven't been too far from Ocon in all races and the start of today was the best in the paddock, in reaction and control of the car

max_speed
max_speed

my main worry is about year 2022. Alpine is clearly struggling with getting the car right balanced and perform consistently across tracks. i was expecting them to be performing like ferrari and mclaren this year. 2022 is year of opportunity and looks like Alpine is not set to capitalize on it properly.

diffuser

Redragon wrote:
24 May 2021, 01:20
I don't think the car problem is the downforce. I think it has big issues with the suspension. They tyre use is not great. They seem not to warm the tyres fast enough and then they eat them too quickly. That's my opinion. Seen Norris on 3rd on the rankings and Riccardo all the way down on the table with such a great car. I think is premature to write off alonso specially he haven't been too far from Ocon in all races and the start of today was the best in the paddock, in reaction and control of the car
I haven't written him off. Just saying that I know he's not at 100% and you need that to do well at Monaco.

It doesn't have to be DF. When they talk about balance, you're trying to get the front and back to work as one. It sounds like they're having problems getting balance. They either have understeer or if they add more front DF they get oversteer. No middle. That will end up generating more tire wear.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Alpine are fully focused on 2022, they’ve been focussed on next years car from the beginning of this year I feel. I could be wrong but I think they have diverted most resources to next year earliest of all teams.

RedNEO

Redragon wrote:
24 May 2021, 01:20
Yup agree.

RedNEO

dfegan358 wrote:
24 May 2021, 08:56
Alpine are fully focused on 2022, they’ve been focussed on next years car from the beginning of this year I feel. I could be wrong but I think they have diverted most resources to next year earliest of all teams.
It’s complicated, to fully divert to 2022 first they need to be confident in there work and understanding of the cars weak points. The worst thing that could happen is if next years car inherits any of this years cars weaknesses because they haven’t put any effort into understanding them. They can make next years car stronger just by dedicating a small amount of resources into fixing this cars weak points or at least understanding how to fix them.

diffuser

dfegan358 wrote:
Did you not notice they bring upgrades to every race?

diffuser

dfegan358 wrote:

Did you not notice they bring upgrades to every race? Since the 1st race of the year they've updated the bargeboard 3 times, the diffuser twice, the front wing once and I lost track of how many floor iterations they've had. There was a new floor and bargeboard at Monaco.

IMO, they are flat out working on 2022, most of that is wind tunnel and design. There isn't a lot left for manufacturing to do. So they probably have left a small team with limited resources working on 2021. That team is probably getting ready to switch to 2022 as well though.
Last edited by diffuser on 24 May 2021, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

radosav
radosav

as budkowski said they dont underestand how tyres work, they are still focused on this season but they main problem is understanding why tyres behave like they do

diffuser

radosav wrote:
24 May 2021, 15:25
as budkowski said they dont underestand how tyres work, they are still focused on this season but they main problem is understanding why tyres behave like they do
That would be the race/Brivio team and not the Factory. That small team would probably also help out.

Chasis_1992

Alpine has a hierarchy problem. Budkowski seems to have a lot more power than Brivio. I don't know if Brivio has enough knowledge to be a sports director for such a complex structure as an F1 team. In 2009 they showed that Estone's structure does not know how to adapt to rule changes.

Regarding the engines, Mecachrome is not going to be at the level of Mercedes, Ferrari and even Honda-Red Bull. The only thing they need to keep doing experiments with different exhaust and cooling systems.

radosav
radosav

second part of video is ocon's fight with perez and losing place to alfa romeo