2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

What bothers me is that they allowed DAS for a full season, and here we go when Mercedes start crying, FIA acts inmediately like it was no flex wings before :lol:

RZS10

*snip* ... it was all off topic
Last edited by RZS10 on 24 May 2021, 23:23, edited 5 times in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

DAS wasn't even a gray area of the rules, it followed them perfectly to the letter.

Sieper

PhillipM wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:06
DAS wasn't even a gray area of the rules, it followed them perfectly to the letter.
Yes, but we are talking about the “spirit” of the rules now. As the rear wing followed them perfectly to the letter too.

And you can only race with 1 race set up, a compromise. That is what DAS was working around. But it is not only DAS where we have prior examples.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Marti_EF3 wrote:What bothers me is that they allowed DAS for a full season, and here we go when Mercedes start crying, FIA acts inmediately like it was no flex wings before :lol:
DAS was though a very unique situation, it wasn’t banned on technical grounds, it was bound on cost grounds... It wasn’t going against any regulation, FIA simply wanted to avoid teams investing in developing the system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

etusch

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:13
Marti_EF3 wrote:What bothers me is that they allowed DAS for a full season, and here we go when Mercedes start crying, FIA acts inmediately like it was no flex wings before :lol:
DAS was though a very unique situation, it wasn’t banned on technical grounds, it was bound on cost grounds... It wasn’t going against any regulation, FIA simply wanted to avoid teams investing in developing the system.

Was it same FIA which can avoid Mercedes itself to spent on it by saying we will not allow it when they asked FIA about it?
Last edited by etusch on 24 May 2021, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Pany
Pany

Sure, just afyer mercedes win one more title.... the choice to spend or not that money had to be for the other teams, for the current and successive seasons

dans79

etusch wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:19
SmallSoldier wrote:

Was it same FIA which can avoid Mercedes itself to spent on it by saying we will not allow it when they asked FIA about it?
Check out this article, it explains a lot.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/04/ana ... -is-legal/
201 105 104 9 9 7

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

etusch wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

They couldn’t avoid spending the money because the 2020 regulations were already approved... The misconception in the current situation is that the FIA is changing the regulations in regards to the Rear Wing, that is not correct... The regulations are staying the same, what is changing is the tests performed to ensure that the regulations are followed. Two different situations at play.

The fact is that last year, Red Bull could have developed DAS if they wanted, although they would have only been able to use it in 2020 (just as Mercedes did)... The FIA didn’t prevent teams from implementing such a device in 2020.

aral
aral

A special thread was created to discuss rear wing flex etc, yet this thread has nce again descended into a confab about flexi wings, bodies etc. Could you please continue this debate on the appropriate thread which is..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29817

Kingshark
Kingshark

Is there any truth about Honda engines struggling with vibrations, and hence unable to unleash their full power?

https://www.formu1a.uno/le-vibrazioni-d ... -red-bull/

Also, is this something that can be fixed with a reliability upgrade?

dtro
dtro

Marti_EF3 wrote:
24 May 2021, 18:46
What bothers me is that they allowed DAS for a full season, and here we go when Mercedes start crying, FIA acts inmediately like it was no flex wings before :lol:
Agreed, not only that, but the reason they banned it for the following season would be the costs associated with everyone attempting to develop such a system, and completely ignored the fact that Merc gained an advantage from a loophole in the rules

siskue2005

dtro wrote:
24 May 2021, 21:21
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Agreed, not only that, but the reason they banned it for the following season would be the costs associated with everyone attempting to develop such a system, and completely ignored the fact that Merc gained an advantage from a loophole in the rules
You are mixing up innovation vs grey area
Last edited by siskue2005 on 25 May 2021, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

Macklaren
Macklaren

dtro wrote:
24 May 2021, 21:21
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Not really.

Mercedes had the full approval of the FIA when they developed DAS and put it on the car. That is why there was no real protest of it. Just like with McLaren's diffuser this year - no question about its legality because the solution does not violate any rules.

The wingflex is more of a gray area because it does *seem* to violate a rule even though the current test designed to catch it does not seem to be able to.

Marti_EF3

But DAS was also modifying the setup of the car when the driver wanted to do it. The system was legal because was mechanical actioned, but that is also a grey area because you are (in theory) breaking parc ferme modifying the setup