2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

good interview

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

godlameroso

Man, if McLaren nail the setup at Azerbaijan they're going to be almost a second and a half faster than they were in 2019 LMAO, I can't wait!
Saishū kōnā

Mak2
Mak2

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/05/25/no ... han-sainz/
Lando Norris has suggested that Daniel Ricciardo is a less adaptable driver than Carlos Sainz.

Norris’ comments come five races into his relationship with Ricciardo, who joined McLaren at the start of 2021.

The seven-time Formula 1 grand prix winner succeeded Sainz at the Woking-based squad as the Spaniard headed to Ferrari to replace Sebastian Vettel.

Having now had time to work alongside Ricciardo, Norris has shed some light on how the Australian differs from his former stablemate.

“I think their driving styles are quite different, or very different, I would say,” the 21-year-old explained.

“There’s a lot of differences between them both.

“Daniel, from what I’ve seen so far, he wants a car that really suits him maybe a little bit more.

“Carlos was good at driving a car which wasn’t always that nice to drive, and he was very good at that.

“Daniel’s very, very fast when he has the car around him and when everything’s suited,” he added.

“But as soon as there’s a couple of problems, I think just as most drivers do, as soon as you lose that bit of confidence, then you just struggle a little bit more.

“I don’t think that’s just with him, that’s just something that some drivers have more than others – it is a confidence thing.”

Ricciardo played second fiddle to Norris in the opening three races of the season before besting him at the Spanish Grand Prix.

However, the early season trend returned last weekend in Monaco, with the Australian comprehensively overshadowed by his young team-mate.

The 2018 race winner finished a lap down in 12th having failed to progress from Qualifying 2, while Norris scored his second podium of the season.

Sainz was also on the podium, having demonstrated impressive pace around the Monaco streets.

Of those who changed teams in the off-season, the 26-year-old has proved the standout, matching his established Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc.

That’s reflected in the drivers’ championship, too, with Sainz having scored 38 points to Ricciardo’s 24.

By contrast, Leclerc has scored only two more than his new stablemate, while Norris has amassed 56 to sit third in the title fight after five events.

The Formula 1 season continues with the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, a race Ricciardo won in 2017 with Red Bull, on June 4-6.

Emag
Emag

godlameroso wrote:
25 May 2021, 05:05
Man, if McLaren nail the setup at Azerbaijan they're going to be almost a second and a half faster than they were in 2019 LMAO, I can't wait!
I am expecting a very competitive S3 and S1, but S2 has a lot of medium speed corners.

godlameroso

Emag wrote:
25 May 2021, 11:13
godlameroso wrote:
25 May 2021, 05:05
I am expecting a very competitive S3 and S1, but S2 has a lot of medium speed corners.
None of the corners in Baku are long. They're sharp and short, so it shouldn't be a problem.

This is another chance for a great team result.
Saishū kōnā

Macklaren
Macklaren

I wrote in the Ferrari thread after FP1 in Monaco that the team will need to be razor sharp on execution since the pace in the car will be there for the taking. That's how it panned out. That shoe is on McLaren's foot for Baku...esp. in Quali

BMMR61

New member at F1 Technical.
Just to open with a big props on the team for the relentless progress they have made since the start of 2019. It's easy to forget where McL have come from and fail to recognise that it has been a series of steps in the right direction. They have demonstrated they have fantastic engineering resources in spite of the wait for the new wind tunnel and simulation resources. When FP starts badly (as it has on a number of occasions) they always find a way back to a decent baseline. Monaco demonstrated that even if Daniel struggled in Q2 in particular he came back strongly on the hard tyre option. If we are to look for factors that contributed to Dan's lack of progress on Saturday it's pretty hard. He was somewhere in the mix in Q1 but made little improvement while others took half a second off. When he starts finding his sweet spot he will start to really back up the brilliant work Lando is doing. So congrats to Lando, he's got his head down (in a good way!) and scored his first Monaco podium at the same time as Max, and at only his second attempt. He's the surprise package this year (along with Carlos who is looking mega). Great to see the harmony and continuing "bromance" continuing after the podium.
Last edited by BMMR61 on 25 May 2021, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Baku is going to be fun.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Really looking forward to Baku. Hope Dan can bounce back and find some form like he had in Spain. I think we will be strong at Baku esp with Lando on fire at the moment. Can't wait to see some slip streaming and passes down that mega long straight!

Heres a great previous memory from Dan at Baku to help build the excitement.

Last edited by runningmanz on 25 May 2021, 15:28, edited 4 times in total.

Macklaren
Macklaren

PhillipM wrote:
25 May 2021, 14:59
Baku is going to be fun.
Is that PhillipM or PhillipM's Mclaren sources speaking?

JPower
JPower

Macklaren wrote:
25 May 2021, 16:27
PhillipM wrote:
25 May 2021, 14:59
Baku is going to be fun.
Is that PhillipM or PhillipM's Mclaren sources speaking?
I think that's just common sense just looking at how the car has performed this season. It's a straightline rocket and isn't a truck in corners. McLaren frequently sets the best straightline mini sectors. Should be great for a course like Baku.

Macklaren
Macklaren

True but still it will be interesting to see the team's tone in their preview PR. whether the talk it down or not

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:True but still it will be interesting to see the team's tone in their preview PR. whether the talk it down or not
If it follows the same pattern, they will talk it down and try to keep expectations low... It was funny when Lando was asked during the Post Race podium interview about their chances in Baku and he was trying hard not to say something too optimistic... The banter with Carlos and Max was great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

godlameroso

Mak2 wrote:
25 May 2021, 05:34
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/05/25/no ... han-sainz/
Lando Norris has suggested that Daniel Ricciardo is a less adaptable driver than Carlos Sainz.

Norris’ comments come five races into his relationship with Ricciardo, who joined McLaren at the start of 2021.

The seven-time Formula 1 grand prix winner succeeded Sainz at the Woking-based squad as the Spaniard headed to Ferrari to replace Sebastian Vettel.

Having now had time to work alongside Ricciardo, Norris has shed some light on how the Australian differs from his former stablemate.

“I think their driving styles are quite different, or very different, I would say,” the 21-year-old explained.

“There’s a lot of differences between them both.

“Daniel, from what I’ve seen so far, he wants a car that really suits him maybe a little bit more.

“Carlos was good at driving a car which wasn’t always that nice to drive, and he was very good at that.

“Daniel’s very, very fast when he has the car around him and when everything’s suited,” he added.

“But as soon as there’s a couple of problems, I think just as most drivers do, as soon as you lose that bit of confidence, then you just struggle a little bit more.

“I don’t think that’s just with him, that’s just something that some drivers have more than others – it is a confidence thing.”

Ricciardo played second fiddle to Norris in the opening three races of the season before besting him at the Spanish Grand Prix.

However, the early season trend returned last weekend in Monaco, with the Australian comprehensively overshadowed by his young team-mate.

The 2018 race winner finished a lap down in 12th having failed to progress from Qualifying 2, while Norris scored his second podium of the season.

Sainz was also on the podium, having demonstrated impressive pace around the Monaco streets.

Of those who changed teams in the off-season, the 26-year-old has proved the standout, matching his established Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc.

That’s reflected in the drivers’ championship, too, with Sainz having scored 38 points to Ricciardo’s 24.

By contrast, Leclerc has scored only two more than his new stablemate, while Norris has amassed 56 to sit third in the title fight after five events.

The Formula 1 season continues with the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, a race Ricciardo won in 2017 with Red Bull, on June 4-6.
Read between the lines, what is different and Norris has more experience with? The aero of the car is affected by how it pitches forward and backwards and how the car rolls. Norris knows how much to trail brake to keep the front wing working on turn in, he knows how hard he has to stab the throttle to get the rear end to squat without spinning the tires. Just like birds aren't born knowing how to fly, they need to learn, so too can humans learn to ride the wind of an F1 car.
Saishū kōnā