2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

Chasis_1992 wrote:
24 May 2021, 16:00
Alpine has a hierarchy problem. Budkowski seems to have a lot more power than Brivio. I don't know if Brivio has enough knowledge to be a sports director for such a complex structure as an F1 team. In 2009 they showed that Estone's structure does not know how to adapt to rule changes.

Regarding the engines, Mecachrome is not going to be at the level of Mercedes, Ferrari and even Honda-Red Bull. The only thing they need to keep doing experiments with different exhaust and cooling systems.
Not sure why that's a problem, he's the racing director. He's a manager not a technical resource, he just manages the race weekends.

Budkowski is a executive director, so yes he has more power.

Pat fry is the Technical director their now not Bob Bell.

Mecachrome is a technical partnership, they Manufacture some parts to Viry Specs for Alpine racing. The R&D gets done at Alpine racing Viry-Chatillon, France. The Technical Director there is Remi Taffin.

Mak2
Mak2

Any news on issues with Fernando's car? Why is he is so slow?

Jambier

Mak2 wrote:
25 May 2021, 05:26
Any news on issues with Fernando's car? Why is he is so slow?
He is not so bad in race, but slow in qualy, no confidence in the car, the steering.
Same story than RIC actually

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

radosav
radosav

8 to 9 races now says Alonso to get to 100% 🤷
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... ticipated/

Mclarensenna

https://www.grandprix.com/news/alonso-w ... hange.html

Alonso getting a tweaked power steering system in France so hopefully that helps him!
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

atleast he accepted that he has some challenges. Let see if he improves through the year.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Now I remember Alonso period in second stint with Mclaren. in 2017 and 18 he drove with Vandoorne and I remember Alonso said he is faster than his team mate. Alsonso literal trashed him in race and qualy. Now I felt it is repeating for Alonso. Now Ocon trashing like anything.

radosav
radosav

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 May 2021, 14:07
Now I remember Alonso period in second stint with Mclaren. in 2017 and 18 he drove with Vandoorne and I remember Alonso said he is faster than his team mate. Alsonso literal trashed him in race and qualy. Now I felt it is repeating for Alonso. Now Ocon trashing like anything.
when Ocon starts to overlap Alonso you can call it trashing 🤷

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

overlapping... then it is disaster for Alonso.

Redragon

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 May 2021, 19:36
Can we focus on the team, there is nothing alarming about the state of Alonso so far if you compare to Riccardo so far. So it is becoming really tiring this bashing about Alonso too old. If you don’t like him we get it. But are we going to have this negative commentary every single race?. Let’s see where he is at the end of the year and next year with the better promised car.

diffuser

Redragon wrote:
30 May 2021, 15:11
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Can we focus on the team, there is nothing alarming about the state of Alonso so far if you compare to Riccardo so far. So it is becoming really tiring this bashing about Alonso too old. If you don’t like him we get it. But are we going to have this negative commentary every single race?. Let’s see where he is at the end of the year and next year with the better promised car.
Me to brother, me too.

RedNEO

Redragon wrote:
30 May 2021, 15:11
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Agreed I’ve got no worries regarding Alonso. He’s a fighter 💪

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

There's been some tabloid stuff in regards how Alonso is 'struggling' like Schumacher did on his return to F1.

One might call it like that, but in both cases, some stuff is overlooked. First of all, Schumacher came back in a different F1 format than the one he left, and had no real life testing to adapt to this, and more importantly, a vastly overlooked aspect, was -'secretly'- experiencing the aftermath of his former MOTO accident, where he broke a vertabrea but much more severely had artery problems as much as far as a report mentioned one artery was as good as closed and caused minor aftermath as certain parts of the brain have been without blood. You could say Schumacher was, in a way like Kubica later on his return, driving with a -by then- minor handicap. If you take that into account and he held his own against Rosberg, whom held his own against uber dominant Hamilton, Schumacher actually did outstanding.

If we compare that to Alonso's return, then Alonso's return did not come without issues either: just moments before his return he had a severe bike accident which saw him need surgery and actually have a implant in his upper jaw which cannot be removed until after this F1 season. So Alonso too will be racing with a minor 'handicap' if you wish.

Why this is important to mention is that if we look at Felipe Massa, it is by many claimed that he never achieved his former level after that incident.

Perhaps it is true and both the injury itself and the perhaps -even minor- mental effects have somewhat degraded the drivers from reaching their former 100%.
The fact that some issues can play a huge role is evident in Grosjean, whom VASTLY improved his drive when he consulted a psychologist to help him in F1 and he was making podiums.

So with that in mind, if i turn back to Alonso, if there IS any criticism towards him being 'beaten' by Ocon, if the above does apply, then actually he is doing a fantastic job in regards to the situation he finds himself in.

Despite popular opinion right now, Daniel Ricciardo is a fantastic driver but isn't up to speed @ Mclaren right now, but i wouldn't write him off in any way whatsoever.
That goes for Vettel too, yes he struggled at Ferrari last year and had a hard start with Aston up untill now. But I don't think we should by any means concider Vettel 'done and dusted',
and that goes for Alonso just as much.

Even more important i would argue, is that this season essentially is a lost season for some degree as next year we'll have a completely new format.
For all we know, Alonso could be following a vastly different program and be preparing much more for next season instead of putting his energy in a 'lost' season anyway.

Yes we all would hope Alonso to be in a closer match to Ocon, but it is what it is and let's not forget that we also -i for one atleast - expected Alpine to do better than they were doing untill now.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Angel

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 12:20
(...)
One might call it like that, but in both cases, some stuff is overlooked. First of all, Schumacher came back in a different F1 format than the one he left, and had no real life testing to adapt to this, and more importantly, a vastly overlooked aspect, was -'secretly'- experiencing the aftermath of his former MOTO accident, where he broke a vertabrea but much more severely had artery problems as much as far as a report mentioned one artery was as good as closed and caused minor aftermath as certain parts of the brain have been without blood. You could say Schumacher was, in a way like Kubica later on his return, driving with a -by then- minor handicap. If you take that into account and he held his own against Rosberg, whom held his own against uber dominant Hamilton, Schumacher actually did outstanding.
(...)
Besides that... the last year Schumacher had at Mercedes, in my opinion (I may be wrong 2012, was a long time ago :D), was way better than what the final standings shown. From what I remember a bit before the middle of the championship started being consistently better than Rosberg, but had some hazards that prevented him from scoring more points. I even think that if he staid 1 more year at Mercedes he would be the front Mercedes driver... but some things we'll never know.

About Alonso (and Ricciardo, and Vettel, and...)... we have to give time to settle down.
Sometimes the adaptation is faster sometimes is slower, it's all part of the process.