2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Rick is going too deep into the corners and hooking it in too early on some. He's overdriving basically.

The basic narrative from me is that Ricciardo is not one of the adaptable drivers . He takes a while to adjust.

Now does that say he will be quicker than Lando when he does get it right? I doubt it. Lando was pretty much on par with Carlos after their two years together, and Carlos was a guy who could push Max and is now inching close to Charles in Q. In other words Lando was always in that high level group.

Daniel might have to get used to being Lando's support for at least up to the summer break where can get time to sort his head out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

djos

Daniel is clearly not comfortable with the braking setup, the data shows that is sub optimal and Lando is able to work around it. Sure the car is a rev B (M) but I’d bet that the braking behaviour is not new.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

McG wrote:
28 May 2021, 00:44
mwillems wrote:
26 May 2021, 14:16
djos wrote:
26 May 2021, 13:29
Daniel has driven complete garbage and done well, just look back to his HRT drives. He dominated Vettel in his first year driving a difficult to drive Renault powered red Bull. I think Lando is exaggerating or playing mind games.
I think his on track confidence is reaching to his mouth temporarily (I hope).

He's been getting cockier over the past month including a poorly phrased interview in which he doesn't care that Daniel is struggling. He should care as he needs his team to be up there with Ferrari, and because he could learn from a stiff challange from Ricci.

I'm all for being ruthless on track, not so much for being a tw*t off it. He seems to be moulding towards Max Verstappen in his forthright views. I hope it stops and he gets over his own successes, because he's not actually achieved that much in F1 yet, no disrespect intended.
So it's went from an interview where he didn't use sentences to satisfy the wallflowers among us to him being a tw*t?
Not what I said. Neither that he was wallflower or that he is a twat. I said I'm not keen on those personalities, like Max Verstappen, and that Lando's personality is shifting in that direction at the moment.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 May 2021, 12:32
Rick is going too deep into the corners and hooking it in too early on some. He's overdriving basically.

The basic narrative from me is that Ricciardo is not one of the adaptable drivers . He takes a while to adjust.

Now does that say he will be quicker than Lando when he does get it right? I doubt it. Lando was pretty much on par with Carlos after their two years together, and Carlos was a guy who could push Max and is now inching close to Charles in Q. In other words Lando was always in that high level group.

Daniel might have to get used to being Lando's support for at least up to the summer break where can get time to sort his head out.
It’s neither here nor there with driver comparisons, because drivers improve. Carlos pushed Max in 2015, could he get close to Max in 2021? Carlos struggled against Hulk, whom Ricciardo dealt with fairly handily. Mark Webber had a strong 2010 campaign, but never got close to Vettel after then. I rate Carlos highly, after his 2 seasons with McLaren, he proved he’s a top driver. He’s done well to adapt so quickly in the Ferrari car, but let’s not overlook the fact that he’s had several laps in the older SF71H, which could have been used due to its closeness in characteristics to their current car, if it was a pointless exercise, Ferrari wouldn’t do it. Ricciardo hasn’t had that luxury, so he’s at a disadvantage. That said, I’m surprised at how much he’s struggling and how long it’s taking to adapt. One thing’s for sure, he hasn’t forgotten how to drive and I don’t think he’s slow, he’s never been far away from any team mate.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

godlameroso

What is this personality? I quite enjoyed the atmosphere both on the podium and during the interview. Everyone there was happy for each other. Lando earned that podium, if that boosts his confidence so be it. There's nothing abnormal about that, and when Riccardo gets his podium I expect him to feel the same. Winning feels good, can't deny that, and when you start winning it does get to your head a little.

It's a feeling that you can grow accustomed to and can feel like doo doo when you lose it. That's natural, that's human nature.

Everyone was sure that Dan and Lando would be best pals because of how Norris got on with Sainz. Sainz is a different personality to Riccardo, and you can't expect that Riccardo will behave the same way.

The way Riccardo talks he doesn't want to lose to Norris, I don't think they dislike each other, but neither wants to lose to the other.

Norris and Sainz relationship was different, they were both on board to help McLaren get better. The project had a different feel, it was to improve from 2018. It was a team effort, when Norris crossed the line in Abu Dhabi, first thing he said was "WE did it boys!" We, as in us, as in the team.

McLaren and Norris signed their contract extension so soon, that maybe Riccardo feels Norris is closer to the team, and the result probably compounds that.

That contract extension and McLaren having so much faith in Norris has to be good for his confidence. Lots of variables can affect a person's mood, and your mood filters how you express yourself.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
29 May 2021, 13:44
What is this personality? I quite enjoyed the atmosphere both on the podium and during the interview. Everyone there was happy for each other. Lando earned that podium, if that boosts his confidence so be it. There's nothing abnormal about that, and when Riccardo gets his podium I expect him to feel the same. Winning feels good, can't deny that, and when you start winning it does get to your head a little.

It's a feeling that you can grow accustomed to and can feel like doo doo when you lose it. That's natural, that's human nature.

Everyone was sure that Dan and Lando would be best pals because of how Norris got on with Sainz. Sainz is a different personality to Riccardo, and you can't expect that Riccardo will behave the same way.

The way Riccardo talks he doesn't want to lose to Norris, I don't think they dislike each other, but neither wants to lose to the other.

Norris and Sainz relationship was different, they were both on board to help McLaren get better. The project had a different feel, it was to improve from 2018. It was a team effort, when Norris crossed the line in Abu Dhabi, first thing he said was "WE did it boys!" We, as in us, as in the team.

McLaren and Norris signed their contract extension so soon, that maybe Riccardo feels Norris is closer to the team, and the result probably compounds that.

That contract extension and McLaren having so much faith in Norris has to be good for his confidence. Lots of variables can affect a person's mood, and your mood filters how you express yourself.
Sainz and Ricciardo are very different personalities. I think Ricciardo is frustrated (a bit), not with the team, not with his teammate but with himself. He left RedBull for the next chapter in his career, like so many drivers "break free" from their first team and ever since he did, he hasn't found the level of performance he was looking for. Sainz on the other hand has a steady climbing career, after being passed by RedBull initially for a seat in their works team.

There is this peace between the current batch of drivers, they seem to get along quite nicely off track (as shown in several alcohol induced video's of plane sharing video's). Drivers get grumpy about their own lack of performance and seem to not take it out on their teammates so much.

PlatinumZealot

Zack had to sign Lando because the boy is hot property right now, too hot to leave in the shopping window for this crazy 2022 contract season coming up.

They have a very strong driver pairng now. I would even argue that Daniel's wide experience make the team overall stronger for with Carlon in the long run.

McLaren has always been a team about having two very strong drivers. They also are a team that expresses innovation. I really start to feel the Mclaren feeling coming back. For me it never felt like Mclaren after 2010. I feel they are getting back to the days when they could challenge any team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mwillems

Mclarensenna wrote:
28 May 2021, 06:11
e30ernest wrote:
28 May 2021, 05:40
Mclarensenna wrote:
28 May 2021, 05:30

yes i agree you make some very good points especially about adapting to different cars.

Ric when he jumped into the Redbull adjusted instantly and got the maximum out of it. Incredible tyre management and speed in races especially compared to Vettel in th same car. Also Overnight he could brake later than i think i have seen from any driver in F1. Vettel could brake nowhere near as late even after 5 years in that car. Ric took to that redbull like a duck to water. So did Max. But for some reason lately no other driver seems to be able to. Gasly seemed slower in the redbull than the Torro Rosso even some races.
very unsusual!
The Renault Ric struggled but adapted to it much easier it seems than Sainz did.
The Mclaren is possibly some bogey alien car for him that works in the exact opposite way he likes to drive. As he struggling more with this car so far than any previous car he drove.

There is talk of a new chassis for Ric also. Maybe that will help also get him up to speed quicker.
So I remember in one of Nico Rosberg's podcasts he had Daniel as a guest. They discussed the braking on the Renault and how Daniel was having issues with it. Nico gave him some input on adjusting the brakes and it seems after that Daniel was up to speed with the Renault. Maybe its similar to this? Brake feel can vary from car to car and can be a huge contributor to driver confidence and speed.
yes brake feel and confidence definitely plays a big role i agree.
Daniel has always made a thing about how his braking style underpins his driving and overtaking. If that is undermined then i guess so is his driving.

-Bandit

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 May 2021, 15:43
Zack had to sign Lando because the boy is hot property right now, too hot to leave in the shopping window for this crazy 2022 contract season coming up.

They have a very strong driver pairng now. I would even argue that Daniel's wide experience make the team overall stronger for with Carlon in the long run.

McLaren has always been a team about having two very strong drivers. They also are a team that expresses innovation. I really start to feel the Mclaren feeling coming back. For me it never felt like Mclaren after 2010. I feel they are getting back to the days when they could challenge any team.
It's very interesting if we look at the big picture, long term. You make a good point overall, and I'd like to add that McLaren did a lot of good things to bring the best out of Norris.

They gave him a very very strong team mate to cut his grit, see his own weaknesses and work on them, and they gave him all the tools and support to work on that for 2 years. We saw flashes of what he could do in 2020, and now that has become a lot more consistent. Riccardo has shown in the race he has the speed, the pace and he knows he's up against a Verstappen like talent in the making. The new generation of drivers are just starting to come into their own, I think we take for granted just how high a level these athletes perform at.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:Daniel is clearly not comfortable with the braking setup, the data shows that is sub optimal and Lando is able to work around it. Sure the car is a rev B (M) but I’d bet that the braking behaviour is not new.
The car should have a different brake feel, there is less downforce, didn’t they change brake suppliers too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PlatinumZealot wrote:Rick is going too deep into the corners and hooking it in too early on some. He's overdriving basically.

The graph doesn’t who how deep Ric’s going into the corners, simply that he has less corner speed than Lando, which is probably because he is going into the brakes earlier and longer.

It is interesting though the difference in top speed in the 2 straights at Monaco, did RIC run a bit less downforce than Lando? Going by the throttle application and gear changes for both, they are pretty even at the start of both straights and considering that both are running the same maximum mode, it would seem to be that simply Lando had a little more downforce/drag than Daniel.

Finally, we should also note that Lando’s lap was in Q3 with a little more room and less cars on track, while Daniel’s was in Q2 were there probably was a bit more dirty air and traffic (which could affect your lap, but even more important your warm up lap, which could mean not having the tires in the optimum operating temperature).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JRindt

mwillems wrote:
29 May 2021, 13:00
McG wrote:
mwillems wrote:
26 May 2021, 14:16

I think his on track confidence is reaching to his mouth temporarily (I hope).

He's been getting cockier over the past month including a poorly phrased interview in which he doesn't care that Daniel is struggling. He should care as he needs his team to be up there with Ferrari, and because he could learn from a stiff challange from Ricci.

I'm all for being ruthless on track, not so much for being a tw*t off it. He seems to be moulding towards Max Verstappen in his forthright views. I hope it stops and he gets over his own successes, because he's not actually achieved that much in F1 yet, no disrespect intended.
So it's went from an interview where he didn't use sentences to satisfy the wallflowers among us to him being a tw*t?
Not what I said. Neither that he was wallflower or that he is a twat. I said I'm not keen on those personalities, like Max Verstappen, and that Lando's personality is shifting in that direction at the moment.
It depends on the personal taste I guess. I quite like Max’s interviews and his general behaviour off track, more than his on track behaviour (except the Ocon incident). For me, he comes across as forthright and honest when expressing his views and that doesn’t make him a tw*t. There was this interview with a Dutch channel and the interviewer asked him if max would ever shift his residence to Netherlands. He straight up said that he doesn’t like the dutch weather much and he wouldn’t shift in the foreseeable future. Now, that’s the kind of question where many of the celebrities evade or lie to, in the fear of upsetting home fans.

In contrast, I don’t know what to make of Lewis’s answers when he delivers the PR drivel in interviews. If lando goes towards Max’s style, I have zero problem with it — as long as he matches his cockiness with on track results.

In this case though, Lando’s comments about ricciardo are being taken out of context by the click bait media

mwillems

JRindt wrote:
29 May 2021, 18:42
mwillems wrote:
McG wrote:

It depends on the personal taste I guess. I quite like Max’s interviews and his general behaviour off track, more than his on track behaviour (except the Ocon incident). For me, he comes across as forthright and honest when expressing his views and that doesn’t make him a tw*t. There was this interview with a Dutch channel and the interviewer asked him if max would ever shift his residence to Netherlands. He straight up said that he doesn’t like the dutch weather much and he wouldn’t shift in the foreseeable future. Now, that’s the kind of question where many of the celebrities evade or lie to, in the fear of upsetting home fans.

In contrast, I don’t know what to make of Lewis’s answers when he delivers the PR drivel in interviews. If lando goes towards Max’s style, I have zero problem with it — as long as he matches his cockiness with on track results.

In this case though, Lando’s comments about ricciardo are being taken out of context by the click bait media
I like honesty, I just think.it can be delivered without sounding obnoxious or that you look.down on people, as it seems to me from Max.

I agree on Lewis tho, those interviews are a bit of a bore fest. The human equivalent of beige when he's discussing his latest win lol

Danny Ric I like, his humour and humble jokes allow him to get away with some cheeky remarks. He's also honest and forthright, but in a way that's endearing.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
JRindt wrote:
29 May 2021, 18:42
mwillems wrote:

I like honesty, I just think.it can be delivered without sounding obnoxious or that you look.down on people, as it seems to me from Max.

I agree on Lewis tho, those interviews are a bit of a bore fest. The human equivalent of beige when he's discussing his latest win lol

Danny Ric I like, his humour and humble jokes allow him to get away with some cheeky remarks. He's also honest and forthright, but in a way that's endearing.
But that’s a little bit of the problem... We “read” an article and our inherent bias for or against someone is what “makes it sound” one way or another... Taking things out of context or placing a tone on someone’s words.

I find it funny that some over analyze everything the drivers say and someway / somehow have draw a psychological profile of the drivers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlatinumZealot

I never found Lando to be genuinely funny and I don't think he really tries to be funny either. But it seems a big bunch of people do find him funny and because they have nothing better to do they stick that funny guy stereotype onto him, and expect him to live up to it like some circus monkey. It was cringey how the media were forcing a narative of him playing it up with Danny Ric like the badboys moview or something. I was really glad when Lando showed he aint playing around in this thing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028