2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 19:30
BMMR61 wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 13:46
Mark Hughes is one of the better pundits, as much detail as Windsor but less fanciful. Most of his predictions tend to be close to the mark. Hoping for another podium, if I were a betting man I’d take a win and a place for Baku. Still will need things to run their way though. Both cars finishing in the top 5 or 6 would be nice. With the circuit being somewhat different from anything else it makes for an intriguing lead up to the weekend. The Barcelona aero updates should be well understood now so getting a good compromise for the tight sector will bring McLaren into play I hope.
Mark Huges is hit and miss. Don't read his articles for technical information. He writes well so he lulls the reader into his hypotheses quite well, but he has been wrong many many times on the techincal front. I mostly read his articles because of his paddock stories.
Don't often agree with Mark Hughes, but I think this time I'll cautiously side with him. There's a general feeling throughout the F1 fraternity that McLaren could be in the hunt this weekend. Looking back at Monza last year (where McLaren were arguably the quickest car) along with improved slow speed handling performances and topping speed traps in Barcelona and Monaco, it certainly ticking all the boxes. Expecting a resurgent Mercedes showing too though, but another podium on pure pace could be within grasp. I'll reiterate my caution though! :wink:

djos

godlameroso wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 00:05
Big tech should look at itself, the chip manufacturers are bending over backwards to make more energy efficient chips, why isn't big tech taking a page from F1 and using energy recovery from their heat output?
That is not a simple as it sounds.

As I mentioned earlier "Big Tech" has moved to technologies like free-air cooling (pumping in outside air) instead of closed-loop refrigeration systems. They've also been installing solar systems on DC roof tops and buying power direct from solar and wind farms.
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

The chips are actually very efficient and just like formula 1, give these big data companies and inch and they will take the mile. They will always use up as much Kilowatts they can get away with. If the chips come twice as efficient or twice as cool, they will simply buy twice as many chips and the heat and power is back to square one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Chicane
Chicane

Xero wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 00:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 19:30
BMMR61 wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 13:46
Mark Hughes is one of the better pundits, as much detail as Windsor but less fanciful. Most of his predictions tend to be close to the mark. Hoping for another podium, if I were a betting man I’d take a win and a place for Baku. Still will need things to run their way though. Both cars finishing in the top 5 or 6 would be nice. With the circuit being somewhat different from anything else it makes for an intriguing lead up to the weekend. The Barcelona aero updates should be well understood now so getting a good compromise for the tight sector will bring McLaren into play I hope.
Mark Huges is hit and miss. Don't read his articles for technical information. He writes well so he lulls the reader into his hypotheses quite well, but he has been wrong many many times on the techincal front. I mostly read his articles because of his paddock stories.
Don't often agree with Mark Hughes, but I think this time I'll cautiously side with him. There's a general feeling throughout the F1 fraternity that McLaren could be in the hunt this weekend. Looking back at Monza last year (where McLaren were arguably the quickest car) along with improved slow speed handling performances and topping speed traps in Barcelona and Monaco, it certainly ticking all the boxes. Expecting a resurgent Mercedes showing too though, but another podium on pure pace could be within grasp. I'll reiterate my caution though! :wink:
He himself says he is basing it on a hunch. Basically he is saying something which is pretty much known to everyone. Does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that a car which is really quick in straight line and finished on podium in Monaco will do well in Baku.

The point is that he himself says he doesn't have anymore information than what's available in public domain. It is not a question of him being right or wrong rather what he is basing it on. Sainz's comments actually are more credible because he has driven the car last season and although the car may have changed at the rear, the philosophy remains the same .
Quickshifter

Emag
Emag

At least Ferrari said they expect to slip behind McLaren this race. It's important to get some points on Ferrari because they are the main competitors. Of course another podium would be nice, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet

Big Tea

godlameroso wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 00:05
Big Tea wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 23:04
godlameroso wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 21:41

It's starting to cost some serious hydrocarbons to run all the data we take for granted.
And to cool the machines. Data processing is a huge heat source
Big tech should look at itself, the chip manufacturers are bending over backwards to make more energy efficient chips, why isn't big tech taking a page from F1 and using energy recovery from their heat output?
Good point, wasted is wasted and could be used
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

Some industries are definitely making use of heat as a waste product. I was speccing a workshop compressed air system and went down the rabbit hole of systems that either use the hot exhaust as heating for the shop floor, or actually energy storage in a battery to be used on a local grid.

Lucky
Lucky

Emag
Emag

I don't know man, seems like fishy mind games to me.

Lucky
Lucky

Good for McLaren

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 14:14
Not everything is mind games though...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

godlameroso

Emag wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 14:14
Seems like humility and hunger to get better to me.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Daniel sounds a bit more confident, I think. Hopefully the extra sim work will pay off.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

CjC
CjC

I’m gonna put this one in the same box with Aston Martin reckoning they have lost a second of laptime with these new regs... :roll:

So with 2 podiums to his name already is Lando suggesting that if he could push this years car like he could previous car he would have had more than 2 podiums and one of those might have been a win???
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Lando nearly a second up on the sector time, after Daniel went P1 on his soft run, lots of speed to come. Too bad he spun...