2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

CjC wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 17:39
Emag wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 17:17
They (particularly Daniel) sound confident in the post friday reaction. Let's not get down after practice. We literally have the same "disappointment" talks after every friday, and then we are surprised by the good performance on saturday/sunday.

Laptimes today don't matter, lets wait for tomorrow.
Lando isn’t so optimistic....

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ZnR8n.html
Lando says Q3 will be a struggle, Daniel suggesting that there is more time in the car. But his priority right now is getting on top of his team mate, not getting ahead of Ferrari, so it's easier to understand why he might feel a little less worried about the situation.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Lando thought it would be tough to get into Q3 in Imola as well. Just wait for tomorrow. If tomorrow goes to ---, then we can talk.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Practice Team’s Report:

Lando Norris:

“A decent day. Hot! But on the whole, I think it wasn't too bad. FP1, we looked quite good; FP2 we struggled a little bit more, so we’ll try to understand and see if it was anything we did with the set-up or the conditions. A lot of room for improvement going into tomorrow, so we’ll see what we can do with our data tonight and work out how we can improve the car.”

Daniel Ricciardo:

“It was a pretty good day. We certainly found a few things and made progress. The lap times don’t always tell the full story, and 13th doesn’t show much, but I think we’re a lot closer than that. Obviously, we’ve still got to work hard to make it happen, but I think today was certainly a step in the right direction and I feel more comfortable and confident going into tomorrow.”

Andrea Stella:

“An interesting and productive Friday. We didn’t suffer any major disruptions and acquired a lot of data. This track sets plenty of challenges for the team. For the drivers, it’s always a challenge with the low grip and the walls, for the engineers it’s the tough choices on choosing the best rear wing level. The tyre allocation this year is interesting too, with both the Soft and Medium compounds having high degradation. However, we had an encouraging day, and the car looks to be in good shape. We’re looking forward to building from here for a positive qualifying session tomorrow, and a good race on Sunday.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JPower
JPower

I'll eat my hat if McLaren doesn't have a car in the top 5 tomorrow. :lol:

search

Emag wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 17:49
Lando thought it would be tough to get into Q3 in Imola as well. Just wait for tomorrow.
yeah, on his aborted FP1 lap today Norris was 0.8s quicker than Ricciardo after sector 2, so there surely was room for massive improvement in that session at least.

mwillems

JPower wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 17:50
Can I see a picture of this hat?

I'm going to one up you. I'll eat my cat if they get into the top 5!

lol
Joking of course, not about eating the cat, that's fine, but everything could turn around before tomorrow and we may sneak towards the pointy end of the grid.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JPower
JPower

mwillems wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 18:01
JPower wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 17:50
Can I see a picture of this hat?

I'm going to one up you. I'll eat my cat if they get into the top 5!

lol
Joking of course, not about eating the cat, that's fine, but everything could turn around before tomorrow and we may sneak towards the pointy end of the grid.
No. :lol:

Anyway, there's no sneaking. Everyone knows McLaren isn't showing anything. Outside of Monza and Spa this should be their best track IMO.

Marc.W

Lando's lap in FP1 was looking to be a sub 43 before he spun it, so they're definitely holding back some pace

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

All teams using Mercedes PU’s took new units, where those new units installed for FP2? Did the team’s had them from FP1 or they just announce it and will be installed (like normally) for FP3 onwards?

Macklaren
Macklaren

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 18:28
All teams using Mercedes PU’s took new units, where those new units installed for FP2? Did the team’s had them from FP1 or they just announce it and will be installed (like normally) for FP3 onwards?

They were installed in FP1. Andreas confirmed on air that the first runs were for installation checks

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 18:28

They were installed in FP1. Andreas confirmed on air that the first runs were for installation checks
Thanks!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Anyone kept an eye on the long run pace?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Emag
Emag

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 19:11
Not particularly impressive either, but the runs were strange.

Lando had a couple of laps that were 0.2s faster than Leclerc's average, and then he suddenly got a second slower.

Messy sessions today. I would just sleep on it and wait for tomorrow. If they are this far tomorrow, then we can worry.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 19:11
Lando was doing low 1.47s at the start of his run, which is similar to most people except RBR who were in the high 1.46s.
But hard to compare given traffic and different tire compounds. The soft long runners for example saw massive deg/time drop off after a few laps

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier