2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H
McL-H

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 19:44
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... p/6532235/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why not just put in a protest now? What does it matter if they change it before FP3? The point is to get something done about it, right? They are running illegal cars for damn sake? I remember a couple of years back Renault were disqualified from the Singapore GP, because the engine had too high fuel flow for just one second during the entire race. But now this is allowed for half a season? F1 is such a joke sometimes.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Anyone kept an eye on the long run pace?
According to Formula1.com, the following are the Qualifying and Race Pace gaps (they are usually off)... Been said that, Mclaren’s fastest times in FP2 were already 0.4 behind Ferrari in the first sector, which is a lot for the amount and type of corners, they also were off in S3, which seems to indicate that they were a little heavier on fuel and probably more conservative on engine modes.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McL-H wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Why not just put in a protest now? What does it matter if they change it before FP3? The point is to get something done about it, right? They are running illegal cars for damn sake? I remember a couple of years back Renault were disqualified from the Singapore GP, because the engine had too high fuel flow for just one second during the entire race. But now this is allowed for half a season? F1 is such a joke sometimes.
Maybe a last effort to put pressure before actually having to protest it, by making clear their intentions to do so, it leaves the risk on the other teams to decide whether to run it or not... At the same time, you may want to protest an item that was actually used “when it matters”, no point in protesting what someone runs in Practice since it wouldn’t have any influence in Qualifying, if the teams using suspected wings don’t run them in Q, then it becomes a non-issue for the FIA/Stewards.

If they are “smart”, they actually will wait until after the race, therefore if there are potential penalties, it’s more points if those teams finish ahead of them.

That’s my guess at least.

CjC
CjC

Ferrari are more confident of Mclarens pace than Mclaren are :lol: 👀

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... nLF82.html

Sainz even said he had a tow on his best laps...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferra ... z/6533686/
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

McL-H wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 20:03
SmallSoldier wrote:

I've been pondering that for years now. Surely there are loopholes to the rules but I have a feeling that some teams are being let to have that advantage by exploiting holes more than is what required and the FIA turns a blind eye. Meanwhile time passes, we are getting older and we haven't seen a Constructors from 1998. Isn't it time for a more agressive approach cause I think we are too light and I am seeing that from the Ron Dennis era.

BMMR61

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:22
McL-H wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 20:03
SmallSoldier wrote:

I've been pondering that for years now. Surely there are loopholes to the rules but I have a feeling that some teams are being let to have that advantage by exploiting holes more than is what required and the FIA turns a blind eye. Meanwhile time passes, we are getting older and we haven't seen a Constructors from 1998. Isn't it time for a more agressive approach cause I think we are too light and I am seeing that from the Ron Dennis era.
Always better to let someone else fire the bullets for you. 😉

elldizzle
elldizzle

I think we saw the team experimenting with 2 different downforce configurations for the 2 sessions. I think the configuration we saw in FP1 was the better of the 2. Or there maybe some middle ground between they ultimately go with. This is always a track of compromises when it come to downforce levels. We saw the Ferrari very quick over one lap, but struggle with huge degradation on their long runs. Didn't hear any of this from Mclaren. If Ferrari stick with this setup I would expect them to have a strong quali but go backward in the race.

djos

Don't forget that in Baku it's worth sacrificing ultimate lap-time for top speed on the straights so you can:

A/ overtake others
B/ not get mugged on the straights by cars with low Downforce setups.
"In downforce we trust"

the EDGE
the EDGE

djos wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 05:00
Don't forget that in Baku it's worth sacrificing ultimate lap-time for top speed on the straights so you can:

A/ overtake others
B/ not get mugged on the straights by cars with low Downforce setups.
The reports I’m reading are saying the low-downforce cars are all suffering from very excessive tyre wear

djos

That's where the art of compromise comes in.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 18:28
All teams using Mercedes PU’s took new units, where those new units installed for FP2? Did the team’s had them from FP1 or they just announce it and will be installed (like normally) for FP3 onwards?

For the whole weekend.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 20:37
Ferrari are more confident of Mclarens pace than Mclaren are :lol: 👀

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... nLF82.html

Sainz even said he had a tow on his best laps...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferra ... z/6533686/
If I was a betting man, I'd put ten pounds on Ferrari to be ahead, but who knows where the truth lies right now.

In a few hours we will know.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

Both Ferrari and Mclaren split rear wings for FP2 (Nor low DF/Ricc High DF- Lec Low DF/Sai High DF), I think the tyre wear on Lando's car was decent considering it was the soft tire on the lower downforce wing, if you compare it to Leclerc on the similar low downforce setup on the mediums, Ferrari suffered far more from rear graining it seemed, Also Pirelli have increased rear tyre pressures by 1 PSI, don't know how much that helps

Emag
Emag

No DRS on Lando's lap because of the yellows. Would have been around Gasly. Pretty shitty practice sessions this week. Lets see what happens in quali now.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 11:55
No DRS on Lando's lap because of the yellows. Would have been around Gasly. Pretty shitty practice sessions this week. Lets see what happens in quali now.
Probably the messiest FP sessions so far this season.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.