2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

They definitely have their work cut out for them this weekend. I notice the Mercedes is very stiff, by comparison the RBR's front wing sits much closer to the ground as the car pitches and rolls. Bottas car had the front wing very high off the ground.

Maybe a little less roll stiffness at the front, and lowering slow rear heave rebound damping while keeping roll stiffness high could help from a balance perspective, but more performance will be found in getting the tires to work. There's a lot of braking and sliding, but not a lot of continuous high speed corners. Everything in sector 2 is a similar speed range and depends so much on pitching and rolling the car, that it's difficult for a stiff car like the Mercedes. Combined with the tire friendly nature of the chassis, it makes it difficult for Mercedes to pull out a strong qualifying lap.

Hamilton's pace is almost there, I think it's another race of damage limitation, and the way things are going he might be racing his old pal Alonso on his way to the podium. The Ferrari's can't sustain their strong qualifying pace, they need the softs and they'll have to do two stops minimum.
Saishū kōnā

mkay
mkay

Beyond tyre temperature issues, the lack of development on the W12 is starting to hurt Mercedes.

e30ernest
e30ernest

mkay wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 15:18
Beyond tyre temperature issues, the lack of development on the W12 is starting to hurt Mercedes.
It's odd isn't it? Almost like they thought last year's car was so fast, it would survive despite losing bits of the floor and brake duct elements this year with minimal changes so they decided to just work on next year's car.

SparkyAMG

e30ernest wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 15:58
mkay wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 15:18
It's odd isn't it? Almost like they thought last year's car was so fast, it would survive despite losing bits of the floor and brake duct elements this year with minimal changes so they decided to just work on next year's car.
The thing is, they weren't allowed to work on the 2022 car until 1st Jan this year so we've all been left wondering what they spent the bulk of last year doing.

It does appear to be mostly tyre performance related and I guess we're going to keep seeing similar issues at other tracks that share the same characteristics. They can't afford many more of these weekends though where other cars are getting between them and Red Bull.

PlatinumZealot

Floor regs starting to affect Mercedes more and more.

We hadn't even done three races and yet and certain quarters were quite satisfied in themselves that no such thing could be true.

Discussions on the matter were swiftly clamped down and strong cautions meted out.

Look what happening now.. Hmph.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

nzjrs

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 21:58
Floor regs starting to affect Mercedes more and more.

We hadn't even done three races and yet and certain quarters were quite satisfied in themselves that no such thing could be true.

Discussions on the matter were swiftly clamped down and strong cautions meted out.

Look what happening now.. Hmph.
Please enlighten us exactly which parts of the FIA conspiring against MB we thought were not true. The conspiring part or the effect part?

PlatinumZealot

I literally just highlighted that we cannot discuss it* and you want to discuss it now?! Even using the word conspiracy twice! Mad lad! I won't be joining that discussion! Good luck!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zibby43
zibby43

Peter Windsor thinks Merc will be right there tomorrow in qualifying.

I have only seen FP1 so far today. I saw Hamilton aborted a lap where he was 3 tenths up in S1.

Did Hamilton ever get a fully clean lap in FP2 with no traffic or cautions?

e30ernest
e30ernest

I was only mostly watching, both he and Bottas seem to be having trouble switching on the tires.

zibby43
zibby43

e30ernest wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 04:38
I was only mostly watching, both he and Bottas seem to be having trouble switching on the tires.
Definitely everything I’ve read corroborates your observation.

I was just checking to see if Hamilton’s best time came on his qualifying sim. Or did he have to abort?

Merc’s (well, Hamilton’s) long-run pace on the Medium looks strong, particularly given the ultra-conservative PU modes being run for the Merc teams today.

Bottas looks completely lost on low and high fuel.

zibby43 wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 03:43
Windsor makes his analysis by comparing across all teams, the fastest single lap in a race run irrespective of when in the stint it was made or length of stint.

No averages, no nothing; just a random fast lap in a race run. It’s bizarre
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

zibby43
zibby43

214270 wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 05:38
zibby43 wrote:
Windsor makes his analysis by comparing across all teams, the fastest single lap in a race run irrespective of when in the stint it was made or length of stint.

Yep, I've noticed that. The primary reason I watch him is because of his phenomenal attention to detail when describing each driver's driving styles (apologies for the somewhat clumsy redundancy there). He is bang-on regarding how they shape the corners, when they brake, who takes care of the tires, etc.

And even though his timing comparison methods are unusual, he always seems to have a pretty good feel of the pecking order come qualifying.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

214270 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Using averages is pretty meaningless here though, given the nature of street circuits (yellow flags almost every lap somewhere) and the fact that we have such a few amount of race laps in practice this year. You do have to pick out the few undisturbed laps as a result, and those showed a different picture. Crofty and the crew went on about Merc being way off in race trim, which definitely was not the case.

The main task for Merc is to sort out today. If they can, then we have a race.

Tvetovnato wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 09:23
214270 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Using averages is pretty meaningless here though, given the nature of street circuits (yellow flags almost every lap somewhere) and the fact that we have such a few amount of race laps in practice this year. You do have to pick out the few undisturbed laps as a result, and those showed a different picture. Crofty and the crew went on about Merc being way off in race trim, which definitely was not the case.

Yes, the sessions have been quite choppy but Windsor does this all the time. He claimed a few races ago TSU was faster than NOR based on this style of analysis.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

zibby43
zibby43

214270 wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 11:58
Tvetovnato wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 09:23
214270 wrote:

Yes, the sessions have been quite choppy but Windsor does this all the time. He claimed a few races ago TSU was faster than NOR based on this style of analysis.
And Windsor was bang-on again.