2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Emag wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 15:56
CjC wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 15:52
Why is there a pattern emerging where Mclaren look good in Friday morning practise then utter trash in the afternoon?
Honestly, it is very annoying. You don't know what to expect. Especially when Lando says "they willl barely make Q3"

There hasn't been a single weekend so far where practice has gotten me excited for quali/race. On the contrary, it just makes the wait miserable.
I haven't heard him ever say this season that "they will barely make Q3." He usually just says the car doesn't feel good or he isn't totally comfortable. While it may be fast sometimes that doesn't mean the car is nice to drive. Lando has come out and publicly said that the car is very tricky, far more than last year. So him saying that he's not comfortable in the car is a statement of fact, not him being negative.

Emag
Emag

trinidefender wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 16:15
Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:
Why is there a pattern emerging where Mclaren look good in Friday morning practise then utter trash in the afternoon?
Honestly, it is very annoying. You don't know what to expect. Especially when Lando says "they willl barely make Q3"

There hasn't been a single weekend so far where practice has gotten me excited for quali/race. On the contrary, it just makes the wait miserable.
I haven't heard him ever say this season that "they will barely make Q3." He usually just says the car doesn't feel good or he isn't totally comfortable. While it may be fast sometimes that doesn't mean the car is nice to drive. Lando has come out and publicly said that the car is very tricky, far more than last year. So him saying that he's not comfortable in the car is a statement of fact, not him being negative.
https://f1i.com/news/403749-norris-fear ... and%20Prix.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/norris-f ... zerbaijan/

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 16:15
Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:

He has said that a few times. He's generally pessimistic. Before the season he was hugely optimistic, till he realised how quick Ferrari had become.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 16:12
Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:

It's a good thing practice is to go over setup options, aerodynamic refinements, fuel loads and tyre management and not for setting ultimate lap times.

It's been apparent since last season that McLaren doesn't push as hard, run with more fuel or lower engine modes than other teams in practice. Ferrari seems to do the opposite looking quite good in practice and falling back during qualifying and the race.

Have some patience and trust in the process. Rome wasn't built in a day.
You're absolutely right, but it gets said every race weekend lol

We generally do pull closer in qualy, so if the gap in p3 is less than around .4 to Ferrari then I think we have a chance to out qualify them.

But then they drop back in pace in the race again.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JPower
JPower

mwillems wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 16:35

We generally do pull closer in qualy, so if the gap in p3 is less than around .4 to Ferrari then I think we have a chance to out qualify them.

FP2 race pace sims didn't look too hot for McLaren. Will be something to watch as those are usually fairly representative, even for McLaren.
Last edited by JPower on 18 Jun 2021, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

JPower wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 17:43
mwillems wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 16:35

FP2 race pace sims didn't too hot for McLaren. Will be something to watch as those are usually fairly representative, even for McLaren.
Let us clarify that by "not too hot" we mean actually abysmal. Those few laps they did on used softs were way off the pace from any of the main rivals (something like 1s off Carlos). I would just ignore today completely and wait for tomorrow. Would be extremely worrying if the numbers today translate into the actual pace tomorrow, but I doubt they went all out today.

They have come back strong after "weaker" looking Fridays.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Let’s wait for the debrief, it serves as a good indicator of how the team views it’s prospects. Also they were testing parts, usually it compromises performance during FP’s.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando:

"Tough first day, tricky conditions playing the biggest part. The temperature made it difficult to keep the tyres in a good window. So, driving the car became a bit of a challenge especially with the wind.

“I think we’ve got a few bits we can definitely improve upon, but we still have quite a bit of work to do. It’s very close with the rest of the field so every little bit is going to help – but it’s also going to make qualifying tough going into tomorrow. Hopefully we can find a little bit extra to make our lives a little bit easier.”

Daniel:

“First day done, it was quite a warm one! The morning was pretty promising. We had a good start to first practice, but then in second practice, competitively, we didn’t seem as good. I’m not really sure why right now, but we’ll look into it. It didn’t feel too bad and it’s all very close. We’re probably only missing a few tenths right now. That said, I’m not too concerned, we’ll work at it tonight. Generally, the feeling isn’t too bad, so we’ll just chip away and find a bit more pace for tomorrow.”

Stella:

“After racing on two street circuits, we’re back on a permanent track this week. That removes one set of challenges, but also adds some different ones.

“Today, we focused on tyre work, set-up and testing aerodynamic parts. The sessions went well, and we’ve plenty of data to study overnight. The field looks very tight at Paul Ricard this weekend and we’ll work hard this evening to ensure we maximise our opportunities for qualifying and the race.”

43/4McLaren Racing to enter Extreme E in 2022
EXTREME E ENTRY CONFIRMED
"McLaren has always been at the forefront and never afraid to push new boundaries"

READ MORE
10/4Everything you need to know for the French Grand Prix
NEED TO KNOW: FRANCE
"It's a fun, fast track with a mix of corners and opportunities for good racing"

READ MORE
21/4McLaren Racing announces new multi-year technical partnership with Tezos
TEZOS JOINS THE TEAM
McLaren Racing to build NFT fan experience platform on energy-efficient blockchain network

READ MORE
32/4NFT, it's as easy as 1-2-3
NFT, IT'S AS EASY AS 1-2-3
Your guide to NFTs powered by Tezos

READ MORE
"McLaren has always been at the forefront and never afraid to push new boundaries"

READ MORE
10/4Everything you need to know for the French Grand Prix
NEED TO KNOW: FRANCE
"It's a fun, fast track with a mix of corners and opportunities for good racing"

READ MORE
21/4McLaren Racing announces new multi-year technical partnership with Tezos
TEZOS JOINS THE TEAM
McLaren Racing to build NFT fan experience platform on energy-efficient blockchain network

READ MORE
32/4NFT, it's as easy as 1-2-3
NFT, IT'S AS EASY AS 1-2-3
Your guide to NFTs powered by Tezos

READ MORE

READ MORE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CjC
CjC

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 15:17
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... ith-tezos/

This is new... Another Sponser... Well done... :D :D
Is this the same Tezos who we have seen on the red bull?
Just a fan's point of view

proteus

CjC wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 19:49
mclaren111 wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 15:17
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... ith-tezos/

This is new... Another Sponser... Well done... :D :D
Is this the same Tezos who we have seen on the red bull?
Change of their logo on the site to honor Manseour is a nice touch as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

From Formula1.com

Race Pace doesn’t seem as bad as first impressions suggested:

And Qualifying Simulations also look good for Mclaren:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 21:36
From Formula1.com

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... 36bf95.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... 51ecc4.jpg

EH??????
:? :? :?
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

Those charts look complete BS to me based on what the team said today and what they showed on track. Anyway, let's wait and see.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 21:36
From Formula1.com

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... 36bf95.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... 51ecc4.jpg

EH??????
:? :? :?
They consider fuel / engine mode / amount of laps on the tires for their calculations… Of course it could be way off, but I believe Lando for example had his fastest lap in his 5th lap of his soft tire run… The Mercedes cars were also on what is now the “Friday” engines compared to the Honda cars and Renault who were in fresh engines (and probably higher engine modes to ensure there aren’t any issues with the new units).

But, sometimes (most often than not) their analysis is a little off, so I would take it with a grain of salt… Nevertheless, I do hope that is close to reality this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Those charts look complete BS to me based on what the team said today and what they showed on track. Anyway, let's wait and see.
They might also be using best mini sectors for their calculations (specially in the Quali run)… Lando’s fastest lap (which actually was his 3rd attempt at a fast lap in the soft tires, he aborted his lap in Sector 3 during his second attempt) had a S3 that was 2 tenths slower than his first attempt… That would have place him in within a tenth of Leclerc and ahead of Ocon for P6 in FP2).

It was also interesting that S2 times were a match to both Ferrari’s, but almost 4 tenths behind Alonso in the Alpine in that sector, which is mainly driven by engine power (which validate the idea that they were running a lower engine mode).