2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

RZS10 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 22:36
Won't it just make the pit stops slower in general?
Some article claimed it would just add a minimum time between the wheelgun being done and the mechanic pressing the button to confirm he's done, and then when everything is ready there's a slight delay until the lights go green.
So if you had faster stops and better procedures before this will add 0.15s to changing the wheel and 0.2s to your already fast stop, if you have a slower stop it will still add the same amount of time so the overall stop will still take longer, or am i completely mistaken?
Unless the differences in pit stops were just down to mechanics pre-empting their wheel guns being done (risky but legal) or some trickery with sensors or further automation of the 'ok' signal (would that be legal?) ...

What i wonder is though: why only from Hungary? It's the second race of a triple header, then two weeks until Silverstone, then another two.

Does this require more than just some simple changes to a few lines of code?
That’s how I see it as well. I should think it just ends up adding the same amount of time onto everyone’s stops, so the relative gaps are all still there. If all the teams are following the same procedure but just at varying speeds, that’s got to be the logical outcome. Surely?

dans79

Juzh wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 23:35
Seriously, wtf was that all about, are they implying FIA is incapable of spotting subtle engine upgrades? Are they talking from experience? At least be more subtle about it.
I wonder what comes next..
Did you miss the V8 era when Renault made numerous improvements under the guise of reliability updates?
201 105 104 9 9 7

nzjrs

I can imagine some awesome burns from RB though - "We understand that MB lobbied for a minimum wheel gun reaction time of 43hrs but we reached a compromise at 0.2s"

:lol: :lol:

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 23:38
Juzh wrote:
Seriously, wtf was that all about, are they implying FIA is incapable of spotting subtle engine upgrades? Are they talking from experience? At least be more subtle about it.
Did you miss the V8 era when Renault made numerous improvements under the guise of reliability updates?
Everyone did. Renault the least of all because they didn't utilise this mechanism as efficiently as others. Ferrari was even able to redesign some parts after their failures in malaysia 2010 and that upgrade supposedly gave them 8hp. I can't find the article right now because most of websites from back then seem to not work anymore. I think it was reported on jamesallenonf1 at the time and maybe on f1fanatic.

dans79

Juzh wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 23:49
dans79 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Everyone did. Renault the least of all because they didn't utilise this mechanism as efficiently as others. Ferrari was even able to redesign some parts after their failures in malaysia 2010 and that upgrade supposedly gave them 8hp. I can't find the article right now because most of websites from back then seem to not work anymore. I think it was reported on jamesallenonf1 at the time and maybe on f1fanatic.
From what I can remember Renault was able to make several tweaks to their engine that coupled with its fuel efficiently gave them a big benefit in regards to the various types of blowing.

They also did a lot of things when it came to mappings, this is one I remember.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... y/3219093/
201 105 104 9 9 7

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 23:54
Juzh wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 23:49
dans79 wrote:

From what I can remember Renault was able to make several tweaks to their engine that coupled with its fuel efficiently gave them a big benefit in regards to the various types of blowing.

They also did a lot of things when it came to mappings, this is one I remember.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... y/3219093/
Renault's engine blowing was all down to software and engine tunning. There were no hardware changed to the engine in those years.

Same story in hockenheim. It was a software update and something that is allowed to be changed. Problem in this case was not that software was changed but the outcome of it.
Even today software is changed constantly. This is a non issue.

djos

TimW wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 14:51
Ah come on! The RB is clearly faster than the Merc. Red Bull is just being held back by having mediocre drivers. Max is just made to look good by having poor teammates. We now see by the comparison to Norris that even Ricciardo was a mediocre yardstick at best. On the other hand the Merc is nowhere as good as Lewis made it look over the last years. Even the tire wear is mostly attributable to his skills, we know from the years before Lewis that the Merc was terrible on the tires.

/sarcasm
=D> =D> :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was all ready to post a grumpy retort and then I got to the end of your post!

Well played sir, well played!
"In downforce we trust"

zibby43
zibby43

Juzh wrote:
Its just another obvious and pathetic attempt by mercedes to limit the damage on their on average worse pit stop performance compared to red bull. This is how mercedes' "we want competition" attitude looks like in practice. I'd say they're probably the biggest hypocrites in the whole f1 circus, even Ferrari don't hold a candle to them in this area. First its flexi wings, then it's pit equipment, then it's media insinuations of "engine upgrade" mid season when it's obviously not possible with frozen specs. Seriously, wtf was that all about, are they implying FIA is incapable of spotting subtle engine upgrades? Are they talking from experience? At least be more subtle about it.
A few questions:

1) What does Mercedes have to do with this?

2) Isn’t this TD is merely enforcing an existing rule to keep automation out of pit stops?

Article 12.8.4:

“Devices which are used to fit or remove wheel fasteners may only be powered by compressed air or nitrogen. Any sensor systems may only act passively."

If I was RBR, I’d be glad that I got stitched up on flexi-wings and not qualifying engine modes and DAS.

El Scorchio

Is there a track in more beautiful surrounding? Maybe Spa, Monza or Hockenhein? (But I would say not)

Arguably Singapore or Monaco, if you love a different sort of surrounding.

F1Krof

RBR is a beast in the last sector, obviously the sector with the most corners.
Wroom wroom

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

zibby43 wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 05:23
Juzh wrote:
Its just another obvious and pathetic attempt by mercedes to limit the damage on their on average worse pit stop performance compared to red bull. This is how mercedes' "we want competition" attitude looks like in practice. I'd say they're probably the biggest hypocrites in the whole f1 circus, even Ferrari don't hold a candle to them in this area. First its flexi wings, then it's pit equipment, then it's media insinuations of "engine upgrade" mid season when it's obviously not possible with frozen specs. Seriously, wtf was that all about, are they implying FIA is incapable of spotting subtle engine upgrades? Are they talking from experience? At least be more subtle about it.
A few questions:

1) What does Mercedes have to do with this?

2) Isn’t this TD is merely enforcing an existing rule to keep automation out of pit stops?

Article 12.8.4:

“Devices which are used to fit or remove wheel fasteners may only be powered by compressed air or nitrogen. Any sensor systems may only act passively."

If I was RBR, I’d be glad that I got stitched up on flexi-wings and not qualifying engine modes and DAS.
No, they're not enforcing rules, they will just simply ban fast pit stops.

nzjrs

Interesting that RB didnt bother doing a qualification simulation with Perez.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

3 Honda powered cars in the top 5.

hkbruin
hkbruin

Honda turbo works well at this altitude it was said by Marko.

Sieper

nzjrs wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 12:29
Interesting that RB didnt bother doing a qualification simulation with Perez.
He spun.