2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
erdem
erdem

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

After Q2 first timed lap, Ric's engineer says the other car has more aero balance and tells him this might be helping turns 6-7 asking his opinion for a change. But the onboard broadcast goes off at that moment without Ric's reply. Could this suggest Ric's set up include less df so he hesitates in the high speed corners?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

It’s amazing you can actually visually see it without having seen the car trace plots. But it’s absolutely 100% confirmed the visual observation.

RIC is a proven fast driver but he seems less adaptable then some. Bit like VET. There are drivers on the grid that can drive around a “problem” or quickly adopt a new/better driving style. RICs technique is quite binary and more time is found by doing multiple things at once.

It’s not like the team or RIC doesn’t know what’s happening. It’s clear as day. I do sincerely hope he is totally committed to getting on top of it and learn. Rather then just demanding changes that “suit” his “style” and make things a compromise.

Seems RIC is in the VET camp where they want a planted rear end with little movement. Huge stability under braking and a totally balanced car. (This is not critique but merely an observation)
Whereas if you see the kart superstars, they’re happy to have the car dance/move and they sit on top of that edge with confidence.
NOR/VER/LEC/ALO/HAM spring to mind. Able to do multiple things to wring a few more tenths out of the car

Big Tea

It may not be a 'problem' but an ethos. When Dan joined Vettel in a new years car and out performed him, had there been a change of concept that moved the 'style' of the car from that apricated by Vettel to one not to his liking and coincidentally was exactly what Danny wanted? By the same token, the reverse could be in play here where Lando loves this car and is just what he wants, but is the opposite of what Dan needs to be confident.
Just road cars can have that effect. Sometimes you can drive a car and be right at home totally trusting it, and another car just does not sit right with you no natter what you do.
If this is the case, then even if Dan does 'adapt' he will probably never be 100% with the car, and as we know 1% means no point or podium.
It is good to see Lando making a name though, I was beginning to doubt he was one of the very best and his destiny was a second driver in a top team.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 05:31
Lando and Daniel’s Qualifying plot… Lando brakes later and carries more speed than Daniel

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... c3c7f0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This plot does not seem to match the videos. In the videos, Norris is ahead after turn 2/3 and here the bulk of the loss is on the start finish straight.

Lucky
Lucky

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 12:33
By the same token, the reverse could be in play here where Lando loves this car and is just what he wants, but is the opposite of what Dan needs to be confident.

Norris: I can’t drive 2021 McLaren F1 car the way that I want to
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/979517/1/ ... way-i-want

Mansell89
Mansell89

How was the race pace for Dan and Lando on Friday?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Nothing to write home about. Indeed, one could say v average. But I think they always do it in low engine modes. So it’s hard to make any sense of it. Looked like it was towards the rear of the midfield, but I don’t believe it looking at NOR quali

Big Tea

Lucky wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 13:04
Big Tea wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 12:33
By the same token, the reverse could be in play here where Lando loves this car and is just what he wants, but is the opposite of what Dan needs to be confident.

Norris: I can’t drive 2021 McLaren F1 car the way that I want to
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/979517/1/ ... way-i-want
Even better then
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren111

Let's Go Lando... :D :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

On the upside, we may have a race full of Ricciardo dive bombs. This is a perfect track to do it and the car should have pace against the cars around him.

Emag
Emag

If Daniel feels better on race pace then today should be enjoyable. Maybe a repeat of Carlos' charge in 2019?

Fingers Crossed!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Lando and Daniel’s Qualifying plot… Lando brakes later and carries more speed than Daniel

This plot does not seem to match the videos. In the videos, Norris is ahead after turn 2/3 and here the bulk of the loss is on the start finish straight.
The plot comes from the telemetry… Remember that it also shows speed vs distance… So, you wouldn’t see the gaps in distance between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth-Piekus

First of all good luck to both of our drivers. Lando has to remember that there is no way we can outlast Mercedes or Red Bull in the race without burning our rubber. Our race is against the rest so keep the tyres. For Daniel I wish him to give his usual racecraft and do many passes as Austria is a GP that is easy to overtake.

Xero

I think we are over-analyzing Ricciardo a bit too much, trying to find a definitive answer. It's very clear that this car has a very narrow window of cornering performance. Lando has found the sweet spot, it's now muscle memory. Daniel is still trying to understand it. If it's not found through natural driving, it's going to take a longer time.

Take Red Bull, also a notoriously difficult car to drive before this season. Max found the sweet spot, others hard a hard time, including a very impressive Gasly. It's just one of those things!

Daniel will come good, has my full backing! Expecting a better race showing here. Come on Lando, could get a run at Lewis and Max on the softs here.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 14:57
FittingMechanics wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The plot comes from the telemetry… Remember that it also shows speed vs distance… So, you wouldn’t see the gaps in distance between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes but Ricciardo braked visibly earlier on T3 yet the plot shows they braked at the same spot. I am very surprised it looks like this. In the video, they look neck and neck into T1 yet in the plot Norris carries much more speed before T1 (which should put him ahead on the video).