2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mclarensenna

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

runningmanz wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 05:39
Yep Ricciardo is getting alot of unfair greif from a few uninformed people.

Its true his qualli was lacklustre after a great FP2 and a bit of a mystery (which apparently they said they have found some answers for last Saturday night). In the first phase Vettel couldn't pass Sainz, Alonso couldn't pass Stroll, Sainz couldn't even get past Tsunoda in the same period Dan was stuck behind Kimi. Carlos had a better tyre differential too with Yuki's soft tyres basically at the end of life and the Ferrari was better through the corners than the AT. After Carlos pitted he was basically in clean air for the rest of the race.

Dan on worse tyres than Yuki was able to take him out of turn 6 early in the race. if you look at the live timing Leclerc passed every car without them having DRS in front and his tyre differential was huge being on fresh mediums vs old hards. Its a big difference in closing speeds when one car only has DRS and with a much greater tyre differential. Dan never had that advantage on Kimi or when he was stuck in the DRS trains, not to mention him being left out too long on the mediums before the first pit stop. He was also possibly suffering from temperature issues behind Kimi as the team had warned him to move out of the slipstream to cool the car.

"He solved the problem with switch changes after the team told him to go to “white default zero one” and later “white default eight zero,” as well as suggesting that he stay out of Raikkonen’s slipstream in order to cool the car."

https://www.motorspo...glitch/6617881/

His opening laps in Austria showed he has the ability to pass on a track that seemingly doesn't suit him at the moment when he is not nursing the car and/or stuck in DRS trains. Predictions of him costing McLaren 3rd in the WCC are way premature. If not for that PU issue on Dans car McLaren would most likely be around 20 pts ahead of Ferrari in the WCC instead of 12 and we would be praising Dan, Lando and the team for 2 good previous race weekends. Thats not a sign of 'no progress' at all, far from it.
very balanced and fair assessment. I agree with basically everything you just said
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Mclarensenna wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 06:31
runningmanz wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 05:39
Yep Ricciardo is getting alot of unfair greif from a few uninformed people.

Its true his qualli was lacklustre after a great FP2 and a bit of a mystery (which apparently they said they have found some answers for last Saturday night). In the first phase Vettel couldn't pass Sainz, Alonso couldn't pass Stroll, Sainz couldn't even get past Tsunoda in the same period Dan was stuck behind Kimi. Carlos had a better tyre differential too with Yuki's soft tyres basically at the end of life and the Ferrari was better through the corners than the AT. After Carlos pitted he was basically in clean air for the rest of the race.

Dan on worse tyres than Yuki was able to take him out of turn 6 early in the race. if you look at the live timing Leclerc passed every car without them having DRS in front and his tyre differential was huge being on fresh mediums vs old hards. Its a big difference in closing speeds when one car only has DRS and with a much greater tyre differential. Dan never had that advantage on Kimi or when he was stuck in the DRS trains, not to mention him being left out too long on the mediums before the first pit stop. He was also possibly suffering from temperature issues behind Kimi as the team had warned him to move out of the slipstream to cool the car.

"He solved the problem with switch changes after the team told him to go to “white default zero one” and later “white default eight zero,” as well as suggesting that he stay out of Raikkonen’s slipstream in order to cool the car."

https://www.motorspo...glitch/6617881/

His opening laps in Austria showed he has the ability to pass on a track that seemingly doesn't suit him at the moment when he is not nursing the car and/or stuck in DRS trains. Predictions of him costing McLaren 3rd in the WCC are way premature. If not for that PU issue on Dans car McLaren would most likely be around 20 pts ahead of Ferrari in the WCC instead of 12 and we would be praising Dan, Lando and the team for 2 good previous race weekends. Thats not a sign of 'no progress' at all, far from it.
very balanced and fair assessment. I agree with basically everything you just said
Cheers. Yeah I don't think there was much more Dan could have done under those circumstances and really barring that PU issue he should have been in clean air like Carlos was fighting for 6th or 7th. Many just let look at the end result without looking fairly at all the data and what actually occurred during the race and just rage about it, which is just not constructive and pretty ignorant really. I hope he can nail qualli starting at Austria because that will take alot of pressure off too. Looking forward to the next race.

trinidefender
trinidefender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGCxEAmcDbk

I spent a while looking at this comparison from the point of view of braking, corner speeds and corner exits. Something that is quite consistent from corner to corner is that Lando seems to slow the car more before and through the corner. This lower speed allows him to get the car rotated more and get on the power earlier. It's this ability to get the car straight and get on the power early (with very little steering lock needed once power is applied) that allows the car to do what it does best which is be a rocket ship along the straights. Lando simply seems to be driving the car more to its strengths.

This makes me wonder if Daniel is getting frustrated at his lack of comparative pace and causing him to overdrive the car. The way the car seems to behave it really doesn't like to be overdriven.

Next I'll spend some more time looking at the lines that each driver is taking through the corner.

Chicane
Chicane

Norris brakes harder and comes off the brakes earlier in to turn 3. Both of them brake at the same point but Norris decelerates faster and is able to come off the brakes earlier which allows him to settle the car and get on to the gas earlier.

Ricciardo carries the brakes deeper in to turn 3 and is not able to rotate the car as quickly as Norris. He is late on to the gas as evidenced by his lower speed at the DRS line compared to Norris. This is the main reason why he failed to make a proper overtaking attempt on Kimi.

In turns 6 and 7 Norris has higher minimum speed. He is able to get to the limits of the grip in these high speed corners while Ricciardo still a bit further away from the limit.

In turn 9 Norris uses a small dab of brake to shift the weight to the front and get the nose to turn in quicker while Ricciardo coasts through the corner.

In turn 10 Ricciardo carries a bit too much speed on entry compromising his exit.

Turn 3 and Turn 10 lead to long straights so any time lost on the exit hurts you all along the straights.

The track has only 7 real corners but each one of them is very technical in nature.
Quickshifter

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 22:36
mwillems wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 20:25

I assume McLaren suffer the same de-rates as Merc so this will help, but I doubt a game changer

McLaren also said that although they are hard at work on next years car they would continue to develop the 35m as long as a clear path to worthwhile gains was evident, but wouldn’t be chasing anything negligible

Key also spoke of developments to come to the floor when the last spec was introduced, I hope they are seeing this trough as I’m sure the gains are there

Something I was wondering about was what Lando said on Sunday about rear tyre deg being the difference between them and the big 2 teams

It strikes me they also have better straight line speed than the big 2, would running more rear wing not give them better tyre life at the expense of top speed?
That is typically what RB and Merc have done. Merc were never a team to chase speed traps, but I think that this choice becomes more viable when you aerodynamic efficiency improves.

The most efficient downforce at the rear is obviously from the floor, as you will know, and in turn Mclaren have a disadvantage this year, in that they were not able to repackage the engine in the optimal way which means the car is a little more draggy, and that there won't be as much airflow to the back of the car to help energise the diffuser.

You'd have to think that if they had been able to optimally package that car, they would be several tenths faster, which means they would be close to the top 3. Both through a less draggy form and because more air passing over the diffuser will suck the air out and increase downforce.

Of course, the rears still need to get into the optimal operating window for temps. Sometimes too much grip can prevent this, and counter intuitively, reduce life. I'd hate to be a formula 1 designer, it's life on a knife edge.
I’m sure they were compromises made to get the Merc PU installed in the MCL35M… I’m not that sure if it would be worth several tenths.

Looking at the MCL35M, it is definitely more compact (slimmer) than the MCL35… I have no way of knowing better, but I do believe that the difference in downforce isn’t just related to how much more compact the rear end could have been, but it’s elsewhere… With the biggest factor probably in the front and middle of the car (bargeboard area) where both Red Bull and Mercedes seemed to have a more developed concept (interesting to note that for example, both Red Bull and Mercedes use a different concept of front wing compared to the rest of the field)… There are also some developments in which the team seems to be a bit behind, like the winglets added a top the cockpit behind the front suspension (a solution that was first introduced by Red Bull a couple of seasons ago and that most of the grid adopted last season, with the exception of Mclaren), the “Venetian blinds” on the side deflectors (also introduced several season ago by Haas and adopted rather quickly by the likes of Red Bull)… Even the Z-Shape cut on the floors was a late introduction compared to the rest of the field.

Mclaren may have one of the slimmest bodywork at the rear of the car this season, so the engine integration doesn’t seem to have been way off… Gains from more freedom? Absolutely… How much they are worth? No clue… But in my opinion it isn’t where the car handicap resides… The team also seems to be a bit behind in regards to their suspension kinematics, reason why the likes of Ferrari, RBR, Merc are generally faster in the slow corners, where Downforce isn’t that big of a factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The changes that Mclaren would have loved to be able to make were those that Racing Point introduced in the middle of last year. That would be the streamlined and ramped sidepods with a narrower engine cover. That change was like strapping a rocket onto their car, and so that is why I say several tenths. But when I say that I am conscious that some people see several as a higher number, I imagine 3 tenths in that alone. The lack of bulge on the Mclaren is a demonstrator of how much wider the car is on the engine cover. That bulge is not small on the Merc, it's nearly 2 inches sticking out, so the Mclaren could definitely have another diet if it wanted to.

So I simply base my numbers on the fact that we could make the same change as RP last year, which in itself is worth a few tenths, and that this years Merc engine allows for much tighter packaging too, which we could not take advantage of the way other teams could. So together I'd imagine there's a wedge of time there.

But yes, you are right, it isn't our only difference, the chassis is not great in slow corners. But I do think that those two changes would pull us away from Ferrari and towards the front two, occasionally being in a battle at the front.

But then other teams were also handicapped over the winter so in the end it all balances out.

And what I take from that is that despite the restrictions on how we could take advantage of the Merc engine, and that there is obvious time on the table, that the car the team produced is still a great car.

Another positive is that these packaging changes can carry over to next year, so we know there is time to be gained from this to next before we have even seen the car race. With the floor taking a leap in importance next year, the ability pick low hanging fruit to get more airflow to the rear is invaluable.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems

That's really interesting, we were quicker out of the corners onto the straights, so rear traction must have been pretty decent, in Qualy at least. We were also not fastest at the end of the straights, so we were probably running a little more downforce or it is related to our gearing. Given that we often make decent starts, I do wonder if our gearing is set up to lean a little more towards better acceleration away rather than optimal time to reach the top speed, relative to other car setups.

-Bandit

Chicane
Chicane

Ricciardo: My previous strengths don't work with the McLaren

Ricciardo is therefore asked whether he simply cannot cope with the McLaren MCL35M. Is this vehicle so much different from, for example, the Red Bull cars or the Renault racing cars that he drove before?

Answer: "Yes, the McLaren is different. But I don't want that to be understood negatively at all. The car is just different." When driving, it is not so easy for him to transfer his driving style to the racing car. "And so far I haven't been able to reconcile my strengths with this car. So I have to look for new strengths," says Ricciardo.

Ricciardo doesn't feel completely at home in the car

It is still difficult for him to become "one" with the MCL35M, and if so, then only selectively. But there are, says Ricciardo - "Moments in which I can play out my strengths in some places. That can be two corners per lap. If I can do that over the entire lap, then that's an advantage for me." And the team, in turn, could benefit from this, says Ricciardo. "I know, of course, that Lando [Norris] drives really well. But there are a few things that could help him and move us forward overall." To do this, however, he still has to improve himself. "And this process is ongoing."

This is also due to the fact that he and the car have different strengths and weaknesses, said Ricciardo. He specifically addresses the braking process and says: "There the car has strengths and weaknesses at the same time. And my strengths are probably where the car is a little weaker. That's why I try to make better use of the car's strengths."

https://motorsport-total.com/formel-1/n ... t-21063002
Quickshifter

mwillems

Chicane wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 09:38
Norris brakes harder and comes off the brakes earlier in to turn 3. Both of them brake at the same point but Norris decelerates faster and is able to come off the brakes earlier which allows him to settle the car and get on to the gas earlier.

Ricciardo carries the brakes deeper in to turn 3 and is not able to rotate the car as quickly as Norris. He is late on to the gas as evidenced by his lower speed at the DRS line compared to Norris. This is the main reason why he failed to make a proper overtaking attempt on Kimi.

In turns 6 and 7 Norris has higher minimum speed. He is able to get to the limits of the grip in these high speed corners while Ricciardo still a bit further away from the limit.

In turn 9 Norris uses a small dab of brake to shift the weight to the front and get the nose to turn in quicker while Ricciardo coasts through the corner.

In turn 10 Ricciardo carries a bit too much speed on entry compromising his exit.

Turn 3 and Turn 10 lead to long straights so any time lost on the exit hurts you all along the straights.

The track has only 7 real corners but each one of them is very technical in nature.
It's turn nine that really piqued my interest. That's an obvious choice to try and find a different way through the corner.

He obviously feels that he should be able to get the front in more while still carrying more speed in the corner, but it's hard to see how. I don't see him flicking the wheel to try and load the tyres prior to turning in, I don't see him doing anything really, other than expect the car to have more bite at the front. Perhaps he is trying to extract it from the setup.

But then why would you not simply take a tiny bit of speed off before the corners and adapt, if in Practises 1,2 and 3 and Q1, you have discovered you are not yet able to make the style work on that track with that setup.

It just strikes me as something that he could easily adapt to on tracks where he needs to, and be more competitive.

-Bandit

_cerber1

McLaren chief Andreas Seidl said when they will fully switch to the 2022 car. According to him, after the Hungarian Grand Prix, they will not update the car in 2021.

“After the Hungarian Grand Prix, we will have no new products and will completely switch to the 2022 car,” says Seidl. - We will bring some new items to Austria, Great Britain and Hungary. As for all the other grand prix this season, we will hold them without any updates. ”

the EDGE
the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 12:23
McLaren chief Andreas Seidl said when they will fully switch to the 2022 car. According to him, after the Hungarian Grand Prix, they will not update the car in 2021.

“After the Hungarian Grand Prix, we will have no new products and will completely switch to the 2022 car,” says Seidl. - We will bring some new items to Austria, Great Britain and Hungary. As for all the other grand prix this season, we will hold them without any updates. ”
yes but you have to wonder, if like Mercedes, does that mean nothing new on the car at all, or no new projects started but parts still working their way through the system that will make it to track after Hungry

Chicane
Chicane

Quickshifter

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Strange reply from RIC. Almost saying/implying it’s up to the team to build a car based on his strengths. Rather than really knuckling down and learning/perfecting a different way to drive the current car he’s got.

I love the guy but to me he has the hallmarks of someone purely relying on his talent and not willing to turn every leaf and stone. Maybe that rumour from the Renault engineers is right…

djos

I call BS on that. The car has a stability under braking issue that Lando is able to workaround. If the team want the car to get faster, they need to fix that issue and at the same time this will help Dan.
"In downforce we trust"