2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
pursue_one's

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Andrew Shovlin said a new upgrade package is coming to the W12 for the British Grand Prix.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

pursue_one's wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 18:21
Andrew Shovlin said a new upgrade package is coming to the W12 for the British Grand Prix.
Source?

Big Tea

New information here
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aral
aral

Come on guys ! I have just had to remove a series of trolling and off topic posts which consisted of a dispute between 4 or so contributors. The topic is the Mercedes team so please leave personal disputes and insults out of the thread.

zibby43
zibby43

Big Tea wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 20:03
New information here
Thanks Big Tea. All these quotes were from Allison’s appearance on the F1 Nation podcast earlier this week.

You can find it here if you’d like to hear from Allison himself:

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

My main concern is if Mercedes do have a long term strategy of improving the W12 later rather than sooner, they could leave it too late because nobody knows for definite how many races will go ahead because of the uncertain nature of the covid pandemic.

I believe that 8 races is the minimum needed to constitute a season from what I've read,

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-m ... 5/4983325/

"The minimum number of races needed for a season is eight, as set out under Article 5.4 of the sporting regulations."

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

pursue_one's wrote:
It would be a reasonable place to bring an upgrade. 10 minutes from the factory meaning relatively painless to bring a van load of new bits to try.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cassius
Cassius

Yes, but they also only have one fp1 to try and test the new upgrades before qualifying.

Pyrone89

Remember a upgrade doesnt have to involve lots of parts or massive changes. Remember Imola vs Bahrain W12? They lengthed the diffuser strake (small carbon piece lengthened by few cm) and suddenly it flew. Meanwhile at Imola RB had a whole load of new parts but it didnt bring them much. Only when RB started with the serrated diffuser and RB-friendly track layouts we saw RB challenging Mercedes on race pace again.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

marcel171281
marcel171281

Pyrone89 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 21:47
Remember a upgrade doesnt have to involve lots of parts or massive changes. Remember Imola vs Bahrain W12? They lengthed the diffuser strake (small carbon piece lengthened by few cm) and suddenly it flew. Meanwhile at Imola RB had a whole load of new parts but it didnt bring them much. Only when RB started with the serrated diffuser and RB-friendly track layouts we saw RB challenging Mercedes on race pace again.
RB turned their PU down after Bahrein because of reliability concerns. So direct comparisons between Mercedes and RB isn't straightforward. Especially when throwing updates in the mix as well. The new RB diffuser also came together with their 2nd PU, which is back to Bahrein levels of power, because of the reliability related upgrade.

dans79

Marty_Y wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 20:37
My main concern is if Mercedes do have a long term strategy of improving the W12 later rather than sooner, they could leave it too late because nobody knows for definite how many races will go ahead because of the uncertain nature of the covid pandemic.

I believe that 8 races is the minimum needed to constitute a season from what I've read,

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-m ... 5/4983325/

"The minimum number of races needed for a season is eight, as set out under Article 5.4 of the sporting regulations."

I think the strategy Merc is currently following started with late changes to the W10, and is continuing with the W11, & W12. I believe the end goal is making next years car they best they can make it.

The aero rules are going to be very tight and simple next year. Who wins and who loses is going to come down to fine details on the underside of the car.

Imo to get every last ounce of DF out of the venturi tunnels and diffuser(s), is going to require a very stable car. The removal of all the complex vortex generators means it will be significantly harder to seal the floor going forward, so I think all teams will move towards cars with little or no rake.

However the move to 18" rims complicates the task of making an aero stable car. For a long time teams have relied on the high profile sidewalls of the 13" rims to Perform a lot of the work that would normally be done by the suspension.

The 18" rims mean teams are going to have to put in a lot more work into the suspension systems to keep the cars aerodynamically stable while still being able to ride the curbs etc.

I think Merc started thinking about this way back with the W10 when they experimented at the end of the season with bevel washers in the front suspension, as Hydraulically controlled heave springs will be banned.

I think they have continued to experiment with there suspension system in preparation for 2022. Evidence for this being how they went from being potentially the team that abused their tires the most in 2017/18 to the complete opposite end of the spectrum this season.

Imo the aero updates they bring to the W12 this season, will be enhancements that can be carried over to 2022, either directly or conceptually.

Another area I find interesting is the new intake plenum, and issues they have had with it. I've pondered more than once that this might be somehow related to the move to 10% ethanol next year. If memory serves more ethanol means they can run higher compression ratios.
201 105 104 9 9 7

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

pursue_one's wrote:
Here is the bit from Karun, from 3:50

pursue_one's

littlebigcat wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 19:08
pursue_one's wrote:
Source?
SkySportF1 and AMuS

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 20:17
Big Tea wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 20:03
New information here
Thanks Big Tea. All these quotes were from Allison’s appearance on the F1 Nation podcast earlier this week.

You can find it here if you’d like to hear from Allison himself:

https://youtu.be/F39czTRYqKg
Cheers.

Big Tea

Pyrone89 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 21:47
They do not have to make the car faster, just gain a few % in tyres would be enough. I cant help bet feel just reducing the tyre pressures would bring them back into contention.