2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Believe the new floor was only used on Daniel's car that session, lets see if there happy with the correlation and we see it again in FP2 on both cars

djos

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 13:03
djos wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 23:47
I call BS on that. The car has a stability under braking issue that Lando is able to workaround. If the team want the car to get faster, they need to fix that issue and at the same time this will help Dan.

Such a pity... Last year they were up there with the best in this area... Assume it's the PU change ??
Hard to know unless the team mention it. Id speculate that not being able to change suspension etc when sharing the chassis for the Merc PU may have compromised the car in a few ways.
"In downforce we trust"

the EDGE
the EDGE

Today’s report is looking pretty positive

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/aus ... -practice/
we now have a better understanding of the car than we did last weekend… let's see what we can do tomorrow

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mclaren111 wrote:
djos wrote:
I call BS on that. The car has a stability under braking issue that Lando is able to workaround. If the team want the car to get faster, they need to fix that issue and at the same time this will help Dan.

Such a pity... Last year they were up there with the best in this area... Assume it's the PU change ??
Lando is showing that there isn’t a problem with stability under braking… Yes, Daniel is struggling, but it’s not because the car isn’t stable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BMMR61

I still find it kind of hard to get perspective on the reported comments from Carlos about 35 being a tricky beast to drive. Obviously it pertains to connecting up the braking with the cornering parts of the driving but we haven’t seen it manifested in losing control or any other visible outcomes that I can recall. Indeed Daniel repeatedly has said it feels like it’s quick enough but the times aren’t there. Obvious explanation is he isn’t taking it where it becomes tricky or strange or whatever Carlos was talking about.

So now we are into the double weekend that Daniel wants to get to grips with the issues. No breakthrough is yet evident and in fact with the FP2 classification it looks like they are no closer to unlocking the potential at a track they performed brilliantly at a year ago. Where the strange or difficult aspect of the car didn’t prevent both Carlos and Lando from top results. Well at least we can resort to the one constant of change - bad Fridays inevitably lead to good Saturdays and vice versa. There would appear to be more methodical programs at McLaren than most of the midfield runners who just relentlessly chase lap times. Or that’s how it looks from where I sit. Continue to be optimistic that a Daniel breakthrough will result in a team breakthrough for 35M.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

What I found interesting during the transmission was the following graphic showing the difference in braking between Lando and Daniel:

The graph shows what we all knew by now, that Lando brakes later than Daniel and he seems to brake harder too, which can see in the difference between how much each decelerate the car coming into the corner (Lando decelerates the car 10 kph more than than Daniel in a shorter distance).

What really caught my attention was the the amount of G-Forces each experience when applying the brakes, based on the above I would have expected Lando to have more G-Force during braking, but it’s the opposite… What that tells me is that Daniel initial braking application is actually harder than Lando’s, but he releases them earlier and for longer.

Lando on the other hand, has less initial braking application, but he doesn’t release the pressure as much (trail braking less than Daniel)… That’s also why Lando also shows more braking power than Daniel, even when he is on the brakes for a shorter period of time.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 19:59
mclaren111 wrote:
djos wrote:

Lando is showing that there isn’t a problem with stability under braking… Yes, Daniel is struggling, but it’s not because the car isn’t stable

Agreed, I don't think this is driving style either, I think Lando just has a better and finer feel for the brakes, knows how to get them closer to the optimal brake pressure, at least with this car.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

SmallSoldier wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
djos wrote:

Maclaren introduced a slightly higher front wing a few races ago to help with this issue. Iirc they said the old wing was prone to stalling under braking when it got too close to the ground.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

Maclaren introduced a slightly higher front wing a few races ago to help with this issue. Iirc they said the old wing was prone to stalling under braking when it got too close to the ground.
Source please? I haven’t read anything in regards to that… Would like to read the article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djos

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 00:34
djos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Source please? I haven’t read anything in regards to that… Would like to read the article

Sure thing:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... and-floor/
The outer end of the mainplane of McLaren’s new front wing has been lifted slightly and the inboard end of the slot gap between the mainplane and the first flap has also been opened up. Both of these changes are to reduce sensitivity.

The outboard end gets very low to the ground when the car is braking and turning into the corner, and in mid corner when the car is rolled.

Because it is so close one of two things will happen: it stalls and you lose front end, or it doesn’t stall and the front grip increases, making the rear more nervous. My bet would be on the former, so raising it slightly will reduce that stall slightly.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 00:34
djos wrote: Maclaren introduced a slightly higher front wing a few races ago to help with this issue. Iirc they said the old wing was prone to stalling under braking when it got too close to the ground.

Sure thing:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... and-floor/
The outer end of the mainplane of McLaren’s new front wing has been lifted slightly and the inboard end of the slot gap between the mainplane and the first flap has also been opened up. Both of these changes are to reduce sensitivity.

The outboard end gets very low to the ground when the car is braking and turning into the corner, and in mid corner when the car is rolled.

Because it is so close one of two things will happen: it stalls and you lose front end, or it doesn’t stall and the front grip increases, making the rear more nervous. My bet would be on the former, so raising it slightly will reduce that stall slightly.
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

But, this makes me even more uncertain about the situation with Daniel… If the new wing was introduced early May (4 races ago) how is it that Daniel is now further behind that he was then?

I really hope he gets to grips with the car, clearly it has pace as showed by Lando… He is a top tier driver, I would have expect him to have a handle of the car by now… If indeed, as some have pointed here, he can only shine if the car is “perfect”, then he will lose some credibility points… The greats end up adjusting to the machinery they are given and more often than not extract more out of it than expected… Let’s keep the faith!

runningmanz
runningmanz

SmallSoldier wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
djos wrote:

Lando has just learnt to drive around the issues more than Ricciardo. Lando even mentioned he still struggles with it at times, so there are issues there, at times the car has been described as being on a "knifes edge" and we saw how far we were behind the top two last race, so no doubt Dan's input from his experience with RBR and how he helped at Renault bodes well for improving the McLaren in future.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

runningmanz wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

Lando has just learnt to drive around the issues more than Ricciardo. Lando even mentioned he still struggles with it at times, so there are issues there, at times the car has been described as being on a "knifes edge" and we saw how far we were behind the top two last race, so no doubt Dan's input from his experience with RBR and how he helped at Renault bodes well for improving the McLaren in future.
I’m sure that Daniel will have input for the team, but let’s not forget that drivers do not develop cars… They help the team understand what they feel it’s missing and then the teams try and incorporate that into the next car… The MCL33 had input from 2 WDC’s (Alonso and Button) and it was probably the worst car McLaren build in the last decade.

I will argue also the argument that the car is on the knife edge, from onboards the MCL35M seems planted (even from testing) and doesn’t seem to unstable or twitchy, yes Lando has said that it isn’t perfect and Carlos also mentioned that it was “weird”, but both drivers manage to get a lot out of it last season and they were very close to each other in terms of pace… A fast car isn’t necessarily an easy car to drive either (the Red Bull of the last few years is a clear example of that, where driver’s other than Max can’t extract the best out of it)… At the end, great drivers will “drive around” the car issues and extract as much as the car allows them to… Alonso is a clear example of that, driving a very poor Ferrari to championship contention and even now he is already beating Ocon in a car that he had no input whatsoever after 2 seasons out of the sport.

As many have mentioned, Daniel has driven now for 4 different teams, through several regulation changes and has plenty of driving experience… The fact that he is so far behind Lando (a driver in his third season) is what raises some questions.

I’m a McLaren fan, I’m a Daniel fan and I want nothing more than to see him succeed… But the “the car doesn’t suit my driving style” excuse shouldn’t be one used by someone that is considered to be in that top tier of drivers in the grid… That’s why I still argue that the problem is more psychological than physical, he is going through an slump in performance (which is not abnormal for an athlete) and simply needs to get his mojo back… A couple of solid weekends, where he ends either ahead or closer to Lando and he will start showing what he can do… On the mean time, it will be tough and the team just needs to support him.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Last weekend Ricciardo had problems to pass Q1. Today will be much worse.

Lost year with this guy.

univex
univex

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 20:51
What I found interesting during the transmission was the following graphic showing the difference in braking between Lando and Daniel:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202107 ... 187503.jpg

The graph shows what we all knew by now, that Lando brakes later than Daniel and he seems to brake harder too, which can see in the difference between how much each decelerate the car coming into the corner (Lando decelerates the car 10 kph more than than Daniel in a shorter distance).

What really caught my attention was the the amount of G-Forces each experience when applying the brakes, based on the above I would have expected Lando to have more G-Force during braking, but it’s the opposite… What that tells me is that Daniel initial braking application is actually harder than Lando’s, but he releases them earlier and for longer.

Lando on the other hand, has less initial braking application, but he doesn’t release the pressure as much (trail braking less than Daniel)… That’s also why Lando also shows more braking power than Daniel, even when he is on the brakes for a shorter period of time.

There was a similar just now in FP3 showing same. RIC braking earlier and carrying more speed through the corner, though likely much later on the throttle and slower than NOR through the corner. To me this would suggest that the MCL does not rotate well in the corners and needs to be slowed down more. Would be interesting to see a trace. Is NOR creating more of a V into the corners? Slowing more, turning the car harder and accelerating sooner?