2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Norris really on a tightrope with the limit of the car this weekend- anywhere he is accelerating out of he’s lighting up the rear.

Set up problem he is suffering with? Or are we hurting those soft tyres more than others?

Seerix
Seerix

Maybe it's the new floor? Apparently Lando is running it (car thread)

MrGapes

I think Lando just experimenting with the limit, well that's what practice is for

CjC
CjC

blastdoman wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 12:43
Last weekend Ricciardo had problems to pass Q1. Today will be much worse.

Lost year with this guy.
Last on the grid?
Just a fan's point of view

blastdoman
blastdoman

CjC wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 12:54
blastdoman wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 12:43
Last weekend Ricciardo had problems to pass Q1. Today will be much worse.

Lost year with this guy.
Last on the grid?
The same position as in FP3

Darth-Piekus

Let's go Mclaren. Qualifying time.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

univex wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 20:51
What I found interesting during the transmission was the following graphic showing the difference in braking between Lando and Daniel:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202107 ... 187503.jpg

The graph shows what we all knew by now, that Lando brakes later than Daniel and he seems to brake harder too, which can see in the difference between how much each decelerate the car coming into the corner (Lando decelerates the car 10 kph more than than Daniel in a shorter distance).

What really caught my attention was the the amount of G-Forces each experience when applying the brakes, based on the above I would have expected Lando to have more G-Force during braking, but it’s the opposite… What that tells me is that Daniel initial braking application is actually harder than Lando’s, but he releases them earlier and for longer.

Lando on the other hand, has less initial braking application, but he doesn’t release the pressure as much (trail braking less than Daniel)… That’s also why Lando also shows more braking power than Daniel, even when he is on the brakes for a shorter period of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There was a similar just now in FP3 showing same. RIC braking earlier and carrying more speed through the corner, though likely much later on the throttle and slower than NOR through the corner. To me this would suggest that the MCL does not rotate well in the corners and needs to be slowed down more. Would be interesting to see a trace. Is NOR creating more of a V into the corners? Slowing more, turning the car harder and accelerating sooner?
The speed trace below is from last weekend:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Very strong lap from Lando in Q1, saving a set of tires for Q3… RIC out again and he needed to be out there because he could have easily been dropped out… That was way to close for comfort… RAI could have easily been ahead

mwillems

I really like the corner analysis on the broadcast, just wish we could have access to more than just snippets
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 15:20
Very strong lap from Lando in Q1, saving a set of tires for Q3… RIC out again and he needed to be out there because he could have easily been dropped out… That was way to close for comfort… RAI could have easily been ahead

Hopefully he didn't peak early with his P2!

Fingers crossed he can nail a front row.

Danny is not getting the car at all. I feel that as much as Lando looks to have a better feel for the braking, Danny is also not compromising his style enough to gain time.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 15:23
SmallSoldier wrote:

Danny is not getting the car at all. I feel that as much as Lando looks to have a better feel for the braking, Danny is also not compromising his style enough to gain time.
Will be difficult but we'll be cheering Lando through.

geogate
geogate

why on earth did Lando go out again in Q1 - i mean, great lap, but surely he was safe

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

A front row would be amazing, if he puts it all together in Q3 he has a chance I believe.

Regarding RIC, I’m lacking answers… And I hope it’s not the case… I don’t know how much he has been in the simulator during the last several months (at least since testing was over), but the fact that they it was talked a lot only after Monaco makes me think that not that much and that is the worrisome part for me… It’s all about muscle memory, putting laps on the simulator would have helped, I really hope that he is not leaving any stone unturned trying to get back in form with the car.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

He didn’t go out again. It was a second run on the same tyre

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Mega lap from Norris.

P2 on Mediums!

Ricciardo struggling, he'll have to go on Softs.

Was Perez on a Soft in his second run.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 03 Jul 2021, 15:35, edited 2 times in total.