2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Missed pole by a mile, almost half a tenth, am disappoint. Off to MX5 cup with him.
Saishū kōnā

mwillems

Seidl confirmed what many knew, they deliberately go slower than everyone else on Friday, that will come as news to almost no one.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

max_speed
max_speed

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:32
max_speed wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:30
The Level at which Lando is performing will soon put Ricciardo into depression soon. Among all the drivers who shifted Teams , Ricciardo seems to be struggling most.
Today:
Sainz ahead of Leclerc
Alonso ahead of Ocon (by a mile)
Alonso got unlucky today, he had pace to be 6th. sometime I dream if Alonso was in mclaren with Lando then how situation would be :). do not want to stir a debate here but just my thoughts. Mclaren (with Lando) is on a roll and it all bodes well for next year. i love Ricciardo just hope he goes back to his level soon.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:40
Seidl confirmed what many knew, they deliberately go slower than everyone else on Friday, that will come as news to almost no one.
To be fair, this is news for half the forum every other week.

mwillems

godlameroso wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:39
Missed pole by a mile, almost half a tenth, am disappoint. Off to MX5 cup with him.
Even worse than that, Formula E (Formula Electric Dodgems).

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:41
mwillems wrote:
To be fair, this is news for half the forum every other week.
hahaha Yes, I find myself cautioning about Friday speed almost every race, but changed my comment just now to remove the sarcasm that would get folks back up :)

:mrgreen:

Edit: To be fair, it is a lot better now, it doesn't happen quite as much, though folks start looking at the race pace/crystal ball for clues that won't be there, because the one lap time is more easily dismissed.
Last edited by mwillems on 03 Jul 2021, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Raleigh
Raleigh

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:28
Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:26

What do you think the MCL-35M would do if it was designed as it was supposed to be designed?
It would get the pole in Imola and Austria :).

Btw, did I hear that Perez starts on Softs?

Tomorrow I think a good result is keeping a podium position. It will be hard but that should be the aim. Decent result is keeping behind at least one car from Mercedes or Red Bull (without their damage/retirement).
Perez starts on the medium, he backed out of the soft tire run in Q2.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

mwillems wrote:
That season of having to prioritise aero correlation in FP sessions seems to have taught them something procedure wise for the weekend.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Well, if the excuses from Ricciardo were wearing thin before, they're practically transparent now.

Wishing him better outcomes for the race.

Lando likes this place it seems.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Lando’s interview yesterday, says “POLE” with a straight face at the end of the interview. :lol: =D>

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 03746.html
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:26
FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:25
Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:22
Makes me think what would the MCL-35M be able to do if they were able to design it the way they wanted and not have the FIA restrictions.

Is Lando gonna battle tomorrow or are they gonna protect the tyres again?
Depends what the data shows - perhaps new floor is a step ahead.
What do you think the MCL-35M would do if it was designed as it was supposed to be designed?
Break the rules, unless everyone else could do the same over the last winter :)

There are clear gains for the MCL35B in it's packaging, that would have got us pole today.

But other people were also restricted over the winter.

In fact, if you look on balance, we got to do more improvements over the winter than others could do, so we are in a privileged position really and should be thankful. But also take note that we were able to take advantage of all the opportunities with the sound technical team in Woking, because opportunities do not always get to a result you like unless you have the talent to take advantage.

-Bandit

mwillems

littlebigcat wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:46
mwillems wrote:
That season of having to prioritise aero correlation in FP sessions seems to have taught them something procedure wise for the weekend.
Is that why they go slower? I'm not sure to be honest, perhaps that's the answer.

Would be great to understand the reasons why teams approach it differently and they consider the benefits.
One person mentioned that going race pace helped Ferrari as their drivers got up to speed better.

Another downside will be wear and tear, but I'd imagine there's a lot more to consider than that.

-Bandit

mwillems

Fulcrum wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:47
Well, if the excuses from Ricciardo were wearing thin before, they're practically transparent now.

Wishing him better outcomes for the race.

Lando likes this place it seems.
Starting to think Lando would be good on Ovals lol

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
littlebigcat wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:46
mwillems wrote:
Is that why they go slower? I'm not sure to be honest, perhaps that's the answer.

Would be great to understand the reasons why teams approach it differently and they consider the benefits.
One person mentioned that going race pace helped Ferrari as their drivers got up to speed better.

Another downside will be wear and tear, but I'd imagine there's a lot more to consider than that.
It’s just the approach, they use FP1 and FP2 to try and get food balance on the car, ensure that “the toys” (differential settings, torque maps, etc) are optimal and to do that, there is no reason to push the car to the limit… There is also the engine situation, on the first engine they needed to save mileage because it was also the race engine, now on the second engine, they need it to last another 7 races (Fridays) to avoid having to use the race engine in Practice.

To get a good setup you don’t need to be on the limit, Mercedes actually is a good example of that when in testing they wouldn’t go for a fast lap until the last couple of days (when it was 2 weeks).

It’s not about sandbagging, it’s an smart approach to the weekend… Build a good setup, consistent runs to gather data and look for performance on Saturdays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_cerber1

I'm happy! Lando and the team did the impossible today!!!
=D> =D> =D>