2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

Pyrone89 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:40
RedNEO wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:36
The FIA’s reason for not giving Bottas a penalty is that too many drivers would have got one.. ok?

Vettel getting one was obvious but so should have the people who were actually going slow from turn 9 otherwise why even make the rule if you won’t enforce it because “too many drivers”
The FIA never passes an opportunity to prove what a complete incompetent bunch they are
If half the grid deserve a penalty, give them a penalty. Don't care who it is.
Felipe Baby!

RedNEO

TimW
TimW

RedNEO wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:44
RZS10 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:38
Without having the onboard footage from all cars it's hard to judge, but if Bottas had been penalized then several other drivers should have been at least investigated as well - so maybe they realized that so went with no penalty for Bottas.

Just saw the post above before posting, is that the actual reasoning?

Vettel was the only one who actually impeded another driver, so the penalty makes sense.
https://imgur.com/a/INkYscn
Bit weird. With his overtaking the que Bottas had a major contribution to bunching up the field. And he went directly against the instructions of slowing down between turn 9 and 10 to create a gap, which he should have done before turn nine where he was to busy overtaking....
Last edited by TimW on 03 Jul 2021, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

nzjrs

Stats nerds, when was the last time an engine supplier was outqualified by a customer team?

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 20:15
Stats nerds, when was the last time an engine supplier was outqualified by a customer team?
McLaren, Abu Dhabi 2020?

RZS10

Technically every single driver who did not fully accelerate into turn 9 should have been penalized, as this is what they wrote in the report
At the end of Q2 [insert driver name] slowed down at the entry of T9 to create a gap for his final lap. This is contrary to the Race Directors event notes 24.2a.
This is event notes 24.2
During any practice session, any driver intending to create a gap in front of him in order to get a clear lap should not attempt to do this between the entry to Turn 9 through to the exit of Turn 10. Any driver seen to have done this will be reported to the stewards as being in breach of Article 27.4 of the Sporting Regulations.
It wasn't even just about being slow between 9 and 10 but going slowly INTO 9.

So going with that driver tracker that would have been everyone in the queue apart from Leclerc and mayyyybe Norris, so Verstappen, Sainz, Stroll, Ricciardo, Hamilton Russell, Bottas and Perez.

Vettel actually accelerated the moment it was possible by the looks of it but he was the one who impeded Alonso.

With all of them getting a +3 penalty in the order of the infringement the starting grid would have been the one on the left (assuming i have not made a mistake, actual grid on the right)
1	L. Norris	M. Verstappen
2	M. Verstappen	L. Norris
3	P. Gasly	S. Perez
4	L. Hamilton	L. Hamilton
5	S. Perez	V. Bottas
6	Y. Tsunoda	P. Gasly
7	V. Bottas	Y. Tsunoda
8	C. Leclerc	G. Russell
9	F. Alonso	L. Stroll
10	L. Stroll	C. Sainz
11	S. Vettel	S. Vettel
12	G. Russell	C. Leclerc
13	C. Sainz	D. Ricciardo
14	D. Ricciardo	F. Alonso
15	A. Giovinazzi	A. Giovinazzi
16	K. Räikkönen	K. Räikkönen
17	E. Ocon	        E. Ocon
18	N. Latifi	N. Latifi
19	M. Schumacher	M. Schumacher
20	N. Masepin	N. Masepin
It would have moved Alonso up the grid and shuffled some drivers around.
Last edited by RZS10 on 03 Jul 2021, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 20:17
nzjrs wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 20:15
McLaren, Abu Dhabi 2020?
True, I always forget their Renault phase!

RedNEO

RZS10 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 20:20
Technically every single driver who did not fully accelerate into turn 9 should have been penalized, as this is what they wrote in the report
At the end of Q2 [insert driver name] slowed down at the entry of T9 to create a gap for his final lap. This is contrary to the Race Directors event notes 24.2a.
This is event notes 24.2
During any practice session, any driver intending to create a gap in front of him in order to get a clear lap should not attempt to do this between the entry to Turn 9 through to the exit of Turn 10. Any driver seen to have done this will be reported to the stewards as being in breach of Article 27.4 of the Sporting Regulations.
It wasn't even just about being slow between 9 and 10 but going slowly INTO 9.

So going with that driver tracker that would have been everyone in the queue apart from Leclerc and mayyyybe Norris, so Verstappen, Sainz, Stroll, Ricciardo, Hamilton Russell, Bottas and Perez.

Vettel actually accelerated the moment it was possible by the looks of it but he was the one who impeded Alonso.

With all of them getting a +3 penalty in the order of the infringement the starting grid would have been the one on the left (assuming i have not made a mistake, actual grid on the right)
1	L. Norris	M. Verstappen
2	M. Verstappen	L. Norris
3	P. Gasly	S. Perez
4	L. Hamilton	L. Hamilton
5	S. Perez	V. Bottas
6	Y. Tsunoda	P. Gasly
7	V. Bottas	Y. Tsunoda
8	C. Leclerc	G. Russell
9	F. Alonso	L. Stroll
10	L. Stroll	C. Sainz
11	S. Vettel	S. Vettel
12	G. Russell	C. Leclerc
13	C. Sainz	D. Ricciardo
14	D. Ricciardo	F. Alonso
15	A. Giovinazzi	A. Giovinazzi
16	K. Räikkönen	K. Räikkönen
17	E. Ocon	        E. Ocon
18	N. Latifi	N. Latifi
19	M. Schumacher	M. Schumacher
20	N. Masepin	N. Masepin
It would have moved Alonso up the grid and shuffled some drivers around.
This is exactly what should have happened in a world where the FIA wasn’t incompetent at there jobs and didn’t ignore there own rules on safety no less. It’s embarrassing.

RZS10

Remember Baku where McLaren complained about Tsunoda for ignoring double yellows and Masi essentially said "The entire field should be penalized for not slowing for double yellows" - so ignoring the rules with regards to safety matters isn't anything new so at least they're consistent there ............

ispano6

Ironic especially since he called Tsunoda ****king idiot who barely held him up, and now he backs up the whole field. Russell looks like he's bagged that seat.

Steven
Owner

Ryar wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:31
George Russell, half a second behind Bottas! Ola Kallenius watching, he must asking for George's papers to sign immediately, if not already done. :)
Oh please. Bottas was 0.025s off Hamilton.
If Ola Kallenius was watching, he should ask why the Mercedes dropped so much pace, not if Russell should be signed.

ringo

Funny how every word out of Hamilton's mouth is critqued and we have Max being a grouch to his pitwall about Lando getting a tow from him. Even when he is on pole he snaps at his team for letting him go out for a lap first. This kid is going to get nastier, more arrogant and more spoiled the more success he gets.
For Sure!!

Dee
Dee

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 21:23
Funny how every word out of Hamilton's mouth is critqued and we have Max being a grouch to his pitwall about Lando getting a tow from him. Even when he is on pole he snaps at his team for letting him go out for a lap first. This kid is going to get nastier, more arrogant and more spoiled the more success he gets.
Max to Sky ... "Lando had an amazing lap. I'm not happy with myself but I have to try and make myself happy or else I sound really grumpy. Of course I'm still first, but I wanted to be perfect and it wasn't perfect today. It's probably how I grew up with my dad, it's never perfect."

Still want to say he is nasty, arrogant and spoiled?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Oh please 🙄 this sort of posting is why people are leaving this forum. For god sake, can we just enjoy the closest F1 season we have seen for a VERY long time

- answer to Ringo post, 2 Posts up

Wouter

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 21:23
This kid is going to get nastier, more arrogant and more spoiled the more success he gets.
It bothers you that he's so good, doesn't it?! :D
Get used to it! It's been way too long for him to get a good car and for Lewis to finally get some competition.
The races are no longer boring for the first time this season.
The Power of Dreams!