2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mkay
mkay

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

zibby43 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:33
Under normal circumstances, the maximum tomorrow is 3rd and 4th.

Both titles are done now. The car is a dog. The floor changes killed it. There’s no disputing it and no amount of gaslighting can change it.

Merc was beaten resoundingly by a customer team (high rake).
McLaren isn't even that 'high' rake. It's just a very slippery car which obviously works well here. I'm flabbergasted Merc didn't even try running a lower downforce wing this weekend, given the softer tyres. They lost so much time in S1 to Norris (with tow or without).

Glad to see you're finally seeing what I've been seeing for a while now.

zibby43
zibby43

mkay wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:46
zibby43 wrote:

Both titles are done now. The car is a dog. The floor changes killed it. There’s no disputing it and no amount of gaslighting can change it.

McLaren isn't even that 'high' rake. It's just a very slippery car which obviously works well here. I'm flabbergasted Merc didn't even try running a lower downforce wing this weekend, given the softer tyres. They lost so much time in S1 to Norris (with tow or without).

It’s high-rake. The extra volume they get from the diffuser allows them the efficient downforce to run “slippery.” It’ll probably be lapped tomorrow, too.

I’m guessing the Merc just must be shockingly slow when the dirty downforce is removed.

Finally, I’m not saying this in a snarky way at all, because I think you’re very respectful and a good poster in general, but you’ve pretty much picked Merc to be slow every weekend. Even heading into Imola, Portimao, and Barcelona.

Your consistency has paid off recently. I’ll give you that, certainly.

zibby43
zibby43

Oof.

Edit: Tweet was deleted, but Bottas is under investigation.
Last edited by zibby43 on 03 Jul 2021, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

Hmm, surely Perez should be too then?

Pyrone89

littlebigcat wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 17:22
Hmm, surely Perez should be too then?
Perez couldnt do anything about it. Watch Vettels onboard. It is Bottas holding up the pack after Russell leaves. Perez is in Bottas gearbox waiting and waiting for him to finally go. That cause the whole mess with Vettel and Alonso later on.

Meanwhile Mercedes including their drivers should take a deep look at themselves how they both got beaten by a customer team by this margin, while they lapped that same car only 6 days ago. A car that has the same engine but as a customer, wo not all the works support of the factory team. This is not about Honda or RB doing something strange, as McLaren run a customer Mercedes engine. Only valid excuse would be a rain setup
Last edited by Pyrone89 on 03 Jul 2021, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Marty_Y wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 17:15
At least Mercedes don't have any grid penalties yet, so that's progress from last week. :)
This doesn't look like it's going to age well.

Really disappointing performance today, I just hope it rains tomorrow, but even that might not help given Mercedes troubles with tyre warm up.

It's getting hard to look for positives these days, Lewis signed a new contract so there's that to be happy about I suppose.

atanatizante

BOT said in the pen that they went more for the setup race hence I think it`s another M-H strategy tomorrow ...

What I don`t understand is why they are sticking with this 1 stop strategy hoping they could outgun RedBull with a longer first stint ... I understood that their simulations said this setup and strategy it`s the faster way around here but could they found in just 4 days those 3 tenths of race pace to give them the edge? I don`t think so!

Norris and Perez with their 318km/h and 318,9km/h top speed in S1 are most likely on a 2 stopper, something that Pirelli recommended and I wonder why they didn't go on the same route bearing in mind that firstly it`s damn hard to overtake here and and secondly they have nothing to lose (except Perez to go ahead of them)
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Pyrone89

No further action on Bottas, see FIA
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

PlatinumZealot

Hoffman900 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:43
I honestly just want to see Lewis get to 100 wins at this point.

The floor changes killed the car and I think Merc is feeling some of the re-org efforts as well.
Funny how this figure hasn't been reached yet. Max and Co really spoiled the party! :D
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

atanatizante wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:09
BOT said in the pen that they went more for the setup race hence I think it`s another M-H strategy tomorrow ...

What I don`t understand is why they are sticking with this 1 stop strategy hoping they could outgun RedBull with a longer first stint ... I understood that their simulations said this setup and strategy it`s the faster way around here but could they found in just 4 days those 3 tenths of race pace to give them the edge? I don`t think so!

Norris and Perez with their 318km/h and 318,9km/h top speed in S1 are most likely on a 2 stopper, something that Pirelli recommended and I wonder why they didn't go on the same route bearing in mind that firstly it`s damn hard to overtake here and and secondly they have nothing to lose (except Perez to go ahead of them)
Now that you mention it the reason is in the wording itself. Perhaps they are thinking "hey, we need to see where we stand with maximum race pace turned up." Sort of like a controlled experiment to gauge themselves for the season. If they still get smoked in race pace tomorrow then... :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

the EDGE
the EDGE

zibby43 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:53
mkay wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

It’s high-rake. The extra volume they get from the diffuser allows them the efficient downforce to run “slippery.” It’ll probably be lapped tomorrow, too.

I’m guessing the Merc just must be shockingly slow when the dirty downforce is removed.

Finally, I’m not saying this in a snarky way at all, because I think you’re very respectful and a good poster in general, but you’ve pretty much picked Merc to be slow every weekend. Even heading into Imola, Portimao, and Barcelona.

I heard it was more to do with the higher rake car’s floors being closer to the brake ducts which led to the extra performance rather than the extra volume

Something like the reference for the exclusion zone was the wheel centre, so by running more rake the floor was closer to what remains of the ducts and they were getting a better sealing effect around the tyre

zibby43
zibby43

the EDGE wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 20:22
zibby43 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:53
mkay wrote:

I heard it was more to do with the higher rake car’s floors being closer to the brake ducts which led to the extra performance rather than the extra volume

Something like the reference for the exclusion zone was the wheel centre, so by running more rake the floor was closer to what remains of the ducts and they were getting a better sealing effect around the tyre
It’s both. The extra volume from the higher rear ride height brings efficient downforce from diffuser performance.

You can only benefit from that extra volume if you’re sealing off the airflow to the diffuser and preventing tire squirt from spoiling it. And the brake duct/rear floor/diffuser interaction was less spoiled on high rake cars with the ‘21 rules.

LM10
LM10

zibby43 wrote:

That’s a power track and McLaren is a dragster. I don’t think that it was the high rake which put them in front of Mercedes here.

zibby43
zibby43

LM10 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 21:11
zibby43 wrote:

That’s a power track and McLaren is a dragster. I don’t think that it was the high rake which put them in front of Mercedes here.
It’s the fact that they can run less downforce and still put in a competitive lap time.

It’s the fact that the softer compounds tend to like lower downforce setups.

As I stated several times before, McLaren can run like a dragster because they’re still getting enough efficient, drag-free downforce from their concept to not completely fall apart in a place like S2.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

They have a decent barn door rear wing on the McLaren. In essence the MCL35 is front end limited. Lando talked about it on the sky pd.

The downforce they do produce clearly does get generated very efficiently but they cannot match the Merc or the RB which is why the race pace on heavier fuel loads suffers so badly. On the front limited corners they easily lose a tenth or two in one corner alone